Hopper OTA - Must reboot every 2-3 days to avoid severe pixelation?

bchandler02

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Is anyone else seeing this?

I can reboot my Hopper and have near perfect OTA for the first day or two. Then, after that it will start pixelating and freezing on OTA channels almost nonstop. Signal strength is always 80+ on my worst channels and 100 on most. After I reboot it, I am back to good OTA for a few days, and then repeat. It's getting really difficult to rely on OTA since I am not always home to make sure OTA is good at that particular time.

Is anyone else seeing this? My 722 never had this problem - same antenna setup, and signal strength doesn't seem to be the problem since a reboot fixes it.

True, I do like that I can do it remotely. However, it still leaves me with unwatchable recordings if I don't catch it first.

Not seeing pixelation ,but I am still getting random black screen on all ota channels every few days. Never know when it is going to happen. Funny it hasn't affected my recordings on ota channels at all . But sometimes I tune to the ota channel during the day to watch live tv and there is a black screen on ALL ota channels .

I have the same problem with the occasional pixelation on the OTA. Frustrating when you record a program and have to watch it with frequent pixelation. I now record a special program (football games) on both OTA and Sat. I like the OTA for better picture and sound.

I just looked at that but the "reboot" button is grayed out. Any ideas why ?

Usually that happens when your broadband connection has dropped or isn't being detected.You must have the receiver BB connected for that option to work. I would try going to that page on Dish Online and then hit the refresh button on your browser a few times and even try a new browser to see if that helps. If that doesn't work then maybe your Internet connection ot the Hopper at home has stopped working or dropped out.

Hmm well OTA has been working great here. Then again all my channels are 100 signal strength. Before I adjusted the antenna I did get a single black screen, had to reboot. No issues after adjusting the SS. Really came in handy on Christmas day when there was a severe weather threat.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

It is connected via ethernet. When it indicates that it's "online", is that online via satellite or via broadband ?

It sits at "Loading DVR info" for a fairly long time when I go to DishOnline. In fact, if I ignore that and just click "DVR" (next to BB logo), I see everything.

Still no button....

When it shows ONLINE that means it is detecting a broadband connection. You need to click on My Account and then look at the Receivers&Account option to find Reboot. Check out the attachment.

DOL Reboot.jpg

Last I checked you can only reboot Hoppers with Sling adapters.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Yeap, I was wondering if it was related to a Sling.

I even feel more silly now -- the word "reboot" is just the column heading ! It's not a button at all !

For those with Sling, I have noticed at times it will show offline/connecting indefinitely, but if you just launch anything on Sling and then go back to this page it allows you to reboot.

Still wish I could find a solution to the OTA pixelation - at this point I can't count on any OTA programs recorded to be watchable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)