Hopper OTA USB problems

lynnjohn13

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
PA
I had a new Hopper install last week, including the OTA USB tuner. I'm very happy with the Hopper, a great system, but I have had issues with the OTA tuner. It seems to work for awhile, maybe a day or two, then suddenly stops.

Here's what is happening. When I select an OTA channel, the Hopper still thinks it's there and shows the channel selected, but all you get is a blank screen. The only way to restore the OTA channels is to reboot. I've had it happen at least twice now. Anyone else having this issue?

This problem has happened after the first nightly update. I rebooted today, we'll see if it happens again. Just wanted to see if anyone else might be having this problem. I'd like to hear from Dish CSR's on here if this is a know problem.

Just delete all the ota channels and save it . Then go back in and rescan your ota channels. You will have to re-create all ota timers though. Something I learned when I tested this ota tuner for the last two months is that ANY time you change anything in your ota menu, delete a channel, or add a channel , you will have to re-create all timers from scratch,because the older ones will not work now. This tuner is a little bit more finicky than the dual tuner ota module the 722k has .

I'm having the same OTA bug as the OP has. I checked channels last night and all were great. I noticed this morning that my channel guide was back to my channels instead of my preferred list.

Came home just now and the two OTA recordings scheduled did not record. OTA channels were all black. Scan and save and now they are back, but my recordings are forever missing.

How many people have the OTA channels in their guide when using dish remote or dish online. A few say they do but I can't figure it out.

I haven't been able to see ota channels with the hopper on dish online or dish remote access. Now the 722k with the dual ota tuner module , yes I could always see the ota channels on both dish online & dish remote access. So it seems this little bug needs to be fixed. Remember that manual timers for ota haven't been added yet. So this along with the online thing, will have to be addressed in the near future.

Anyone have a theory as to what causes the black screen, requiring a reboot? Im going to be gone for a week and have several timers set up for OTA while Im gone.

I wonder if you lost it on Monday, would it fix itself on the nightly reboot early Tues AM?

Yepp, that answers that. Im going to just set up my timers for next week on non OTA channels. Dont want to come back Friday having missed a bunch of stuff.

I had my second episode since I installed the module, 8 days apart. Got the blank screen around 10 pm. Did not want to fool with it and went to bed. The nightly update fixed it.

Agreed. I've seen bugs like this before, you never know when they will strike. Something I can monitor daily if Im home, but if Im going to be away its better to be safe.

I had my second episode since I installed the module, 8 days apart. Got the blank screen around 10 pm. Did not want to fool with it and went to bed. The nightly update fixed it.

Im guess the nightly reboot fixes it, so at worst case you might miss one day. Still Ill leave it alone this week and start using it next week.

Since that is how you are supposed to do it, what's the problem?

I'm having the same OTA bug as the OP has. I checked channels last night and all were great. I noticed this morning that my channel guide was back to my channels instead of my preferred list.

Came home just now and the two OTA recordings scheduled did not record. OTA channels were all black. Scan and save and now they are back, but my recordings are forever missing.

It's a wonder how a bit of time and experience will change your perspective. :)

I had the black channel bug hit a few days ago about 8 days after installing the module. That's one episode from two different units so far. It may have occurred more often, then the nightly reboot fixes it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts