Hopper playback choppy

grizliez

Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
United States
Anyone else having a problem with the hopper playing back a recorded program, either from a finished event or a previously paused program? Just started happening tonight. Hopper pauses mid playback and 5 to 15 seconds later it resumes. Happens every couple of minutes. Rebooted the Hopper twice and still having the problem. Ideas?

I have three joeys and an ota tuner. Been working great until tonight.

Dish support suggests it is due to a corrupted recording and to delete all recordings. Really? As if we didn't record them because we want to watch them sometime.

If you can't watch them anyway, it might be something to try.... With a new Hopper you're going to lose the recordings anyway unless you move them to an EHD. Of course if one of those recordings is corrupted you're in the same boat....

But I can watch them, they just pause for 5 to 15 seconds every few minutes. Might try moving one off to attached external drive and watching from there to see if it still happens.

mine was bad yezterday. unplugged it for three min...now its working fine. while unplugged..unhook ur joeys.ive seen that on here before..as a fix. then hook tjem back up..after ur up and going

My Hopper did this tonight when I turned it on tonight. Couldn't watch a recording that I had been watching before going out for dinner. Started pausing every once in a while and was beyond frustrating. Did a red button reset and seems to have fixed it. Hope this isn't going to be on going.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys

Well I think the first responder fit my situation. Now it just boots to where it would look for signal but that box doesn't come up and then it reboots, etc. Stuck in a boot loop. Guessing hard drive failure. Scheduled a service call to replace the Hopper.

grizliez said:
Well I think the first responder fit my situation. Now it just boots to where it would look for signal but that box doesn't come up and then it reboots, etc. Stuck in a boot loop. Guessing hard drive failure. Scheduled a service call to replace the Hopper.

Mine did that two...would say No data. Via pressing the red button. Unplugging it for several minutes fixed that

I had that day one, but opening the front and pressing reset fixed it. Have not seen it since. Also fixed a clicking sound in the audio. Only thing I see that I do not like, is when our phone has problems and does not hang up (twice now) Caller ID stops working unless I do the red reset. Fixing the phone does not fix the caller ID problem.

The past few days (have had my Hopper since Nov 9) all of a sudden, after a few hours of usage, any DVR recordings I start to play or if I pause any live tv and then start to reply or resume, the resulting play is full of skips, jerky, loss of sound, recorded content--really unwatchable. So all I can do is watch live TV.

Also, when I do a reset, after the normal Startup, it reports that it recognized the "network", it ends with a gray box with Attention 015--acquiring satellite signal--click on "details" and then I see Sat --yesterday it was 129, today it shows 119 and transponder 21 5 out of 5 and it just sticks here indefinitely. I can get rid of the box by clicking on Guide or DVR. I can then view DVR or paused live tv replays, but only for a short while and then it goes back to skipping, stuttering, etc and so no DVR.

Called CSR and they said to have a DISH technician--scheduled that and he called and we agreed he couldn't see much else he could do except replace the Hopper--HORRIBLE--I am then forced to buy a $99 EHD to try to preserve my recordings to transfer to the next Hopper. We have 2 Hoppers and this is not happening to the 2nd Hopper, so eliminates the DISH. Also switched the Node inputs (Host) for both Hoppers. Made no difference.

If one recording corrupt from past few days, could just deleting those fix it? But then they are stuck in that hellacious Delete Folder for 8 days.

So moving recordings to EHD did not help?

All these symptoms could be caused by a frozen fan. Can you hear it spinning normally? Can you get the lid off and blow air into it?

The hopper just kept rebooting itself, never getting all the way up so it could be used. Technician showed as scheduled and replaced it. No problems since. He said he hadn't seen one have this type of issue before. I hope I never see it again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)