Hopper Plus with two Hopper 3's

travisvn1

Original poster
Aug 16, 2023
California
I am considering purchasing a separate Hopper 3, my elderly mother lives with us and records just about everything she is trying to watch. I am also considering adding a Hopper Plus so I was curious if there are any issues with having a Hopper Plus and 2 Hopper 3s, and I guess it would be 2 Joeys.

I am considering purchasing a separate Hopper 3, my elderly mother lives with us and records just about everything she is trying to watch. I am also considering adding a Hopper Plus so I was curious if there are any issues with having a Hopper Plus and 2 Hopper 3s, and I guess it would be 2 Joeys.
DISH does not allow two Hopper Plusses.

She can use a Joey and record to the Hopper. She could even have her own folder(s), but that would take some tending. No second H3 needed.

Reactions: charlesrshell
She can use a Joey and record to the Hopper. She could even have her own folder(s), but that would take some tending. No second H3 needed.
This is more of a convenience thing for the rest of the family. She has memory problems and doesn't really remember how to use the folders. So we are spending a lot of time clearing up space and moving recordings around. She will literally record 60 or more episodes of different shows a day. if we go away for a weekend our DVR will go from 40% to 85% in two days.

With 16 tuners she can record to her hearts content without the need for a second one. :)

Get her a Wireless Joey 4 for her room and life should be good. :D
He has a Joey 4k in her room now and her life is Great!!! It's mine and my wifes that is not so much fun trying to sort through all of our recordings or recover ones that she deleted. For some reason she sees ours and deletes them because of her dementia she cant remember that we all share the same DVR and cant remember how to use the folders.

Re’ dementia. Try to value and treasure the time you have. It may be a long row to hoe. Been there, Done that.

“Still Alice.”

This is more of a convenience thing for the rest of the family. She has memory problems and doesn't really remember how to use the folders. So we are spending a lot of time clearing up space and moving recordings around. She will literally record 60 or more episodes of different shows a day. if we go away for a weekend our DVR will go from 40% to 85% in two days.
Hey, I, for one, understand as I am caring for my elderly mother in her home (Not quite dementia, but short-term memory problems, and not easy learning the details of tech), and 2 H3's was absolute necessity ( I had to buy the 2nd H3, but I got a good price and it that was the ONLY additional cost to the installation).

For us it was the simple fact that she is the DVR QUEEN, and I am the DVR KING, so there was NEVER gonna be enough room or BOTH our DVR habits, and, in fact, ONE H3 can't handle our current combined DVR events. She has HER DVR (and her own Joey in her bedroom paired to HER DVR) do what she wants and accidentally record or erase what she wants, and it is has no effect on me (she does not know how to access my DVR anyway, but I wanted to be able to access the other DVR on hers to sometimes watch some show together).

FWIW, each household and each elderly individual has their own problems/limitations. Unless one has had extensive experience (my father's side of the family were older got elderly long before my mother's side who are now elderly, so I have had to deal with it for DECADES), people don't appreciate the unique problems that can come with co-habitation with elderly family members and that SEPARATE experiences with devices saves a lot of exasperation for everyone. Heck there are some elderly who really need their own Netflix subscription because getting through the multiple profile screen can be the most confusing part and they can FORGET and might load YOUR profile or attempt to load your profile only to be stopped by the required PIN--bacause you are trying to guide her to use her own profile--only to STOP there and won't know that to do at all, and just give up, so one might give such an elderly person their OWN subscription so it just loads and she picks and chooses what she wants. It's not the cheapest option, but it is their final years, it if one can afford it, it just makes things more simple to use and easier for them without other family members going nuts because they have their suggestions messed up or DVR event deleted.

The best of luck to you, and I think you are great for getting your mom her own H3 because overall it is best for HER.

My question is what is the experience of a Hopper+ with 2 H3's? Can both H3's and Joeys (yes required upgrade to Joey 4's) see the ONE H+ or will it only be accessible/usable to only ONE of the H3's. Thanks in advance for your responses.

My question is what is the experience of a Hopper+ with 2 H3's? Can both H3's and Joeys (yes required upgrade to Joey 4's) see the ONE H+ or will it only be accessible/usable to only ONE of the H3's. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Both my Hopper 3 and Hopper Plus can see each other thru the "Other Devices" drop down menu. Also, Joey 4s can link to Hopper of choice. Works great

Last edited:
Reactions: Almighty1
The hopper plus is more like an interface add on. It doesn't actually communicate with other hoppers and Joey's. The communication is still done between the actual hopper as it currently is before adding a plus. So adding a plus on one hopper would have zero effect on the other hopper any linked joeys. You would need a plus on each hopper to get the androud tv interface and apps, However at this time dish is only allowing one plus to be installed. Still not sure if they would allow you to actually activate a second one if you purchased it elsewhere.