Hopper Reboots Itself

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mwes

Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
St. Louis
Hello. On Friday morning my hopper started rebooting itself. Initially it was every 10-20 minutes, but by noon it was every few minutes. I called Dish and they sent me a new hopper that arrived on Saturday morning. I hooked that hopper up, and everything worked fine Saturday, now today (Sunday) this hopper is having the same problem. On both instances, Dish had me take the plug out of the surge protector / power strip and plug it directly into the wall. In both instances this didn't make a difference. A tech is scheduled to arrive today and I will make sure we check the ground on the outlet, and plug it directly into there as opposed to the surge protector. I find it odd though that on both instances the problem started first thing in the morning. I know that the new hopper received a firmware update this morning around 4am. I also know that Dish put out a new firmware update starting on this past Wednesday. I thought I had the problem figured out at one point today because I noticed that caller ID was turned on (even though there is no phone line), and once I disabled that, the reboot didn't happen again for just over 1 hour (as opposed to every 10 min or so), but obviously it came back. Any other suggestions?

Update: Tech installed a new LNB. He didn't think it was the actual hopper, so we re-activated the original hopper, and installed it in a new room that had certified cable that could handle the bandwidth requirements of the hopper. Everything worked fine for 6 hours or so, and now the hopper is rebooting itself again. So, new room with different cabling, and a different outlet (no powerstrip). Getting ready to call Dish again....

4 Hoppers, 3 different rooms, new wiring and a new satellite, and still having the problem. It went away for 6 days, and just re-appeared today. At my wits end, and Dish is too.

4 Hoppers, 3 different rooms, new wiring and a new satellite, and still having the problem. It went away for 6 days, and just re-appeared today. At my wits end, and Dish is too.

Is the system grounded? If so try disconnecting the ground.

Yes, the system is grounded, and it has been changed to a new spot and new wiring about 2 weeks ago, but I will give it a shot.

Called Dish before disconnecting the ground, and suddenly the hopper started downloading a firmware update. Looks like we got some new troubleshooting features (or I didn't notice them before). So far, no reboots since the firmware update, but that was only 10 minutes ago (which is about a 9 minute improvement)....

24 hours later, and still no reboots. I didn't end up disconnecting the ground yet because I haven't had a reboot since the firmware update....

24 hours later, and still no reboots. I didn't end up disconnecting the ground yet because I haven't had a reboot since the firmware update....

That's good news. Hopefully the firmware update did the trick.

Called Dish before disconnecting the ground, and suddenly the hopper started downloading a firmware update. Looks like we got some new troubleshooting features (or I didn't notice them before). So far, no reboots since the firmware update, but that was only 10 minutes ago (which is about a 9 minute improvement)....

Any update on this? I've got the exact same symptoms. Are you still getting reboots, or has it remained "fixed"? If so, any chance you can tell me what firmware you have on your Hopper and Joey's? I'm going nuts with Hopper #2 still not working right.

Congrats you just gave the tech out a Trouble call which will likely effect his pay for a while when you could have waited for some responses here first.

The OP did nothing wrong. If Dish's policies towards their techs suck, it isn't his fault.

I know right! I'm a tech and I get frustrated but I wouldn't blame a customer for calling cuz their system didn't work.

The reciever or some part of the system has an issue. A customer shouldn't have to wait 12 days to get something working just to prevent the tech who was last on job from getting hit with a TC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts