Hopper Remote Programming Issues

Kurto2021

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I have had a 722 and 922 and the remotes for them both program and work this tv just fine. I had to do the manual scan to find the code but with the Hopper Joey setup I cannot get this remote to work. SEIKI is not an option in the menu so I had to do that learn feature on the remote but I cannot get the power button to work. It appears that when you press power it just sends a pulse so the dish remote won't learn it. I really only need 4 buttons to work but can only get 2 to work. Volume up and Volume down works like a champ but input and power won't work.

Any ideas on how to get this to work or a 4 digit code for the seiki TV. I find it hard to believe that while the other remotes had a code for this but the latest remote doesn't have the code.

The 922 32.0 remote uses the same codes as the Hopper 40.0 remote. If you still have it, pair your old 922 remote with the Hopper, and Remote Manager will show you the code, which should be TV 0178.

But first, make sure you've disabled limited mode in Remote Manager. That can prevent other functions from working.

Even if the power command is a short pulse, the 40.0 should have no trouble learning it. It's the NEC1 protocol which is very common and easy to learn. So if power still doesn't work with the above code (it should), you should give learning another try.

Last resort, if you've ever had cable, a radio shack or one-for-all remote, you can use it to teach power using the same TV 0178 or 10178 code.

Last edited:
Kurto2021 said:
I have had a 722 and 922 and the remotes for them both program and work this tv just fine. I had to do the manual scan to find the code but with the Hopper Joey setup I cannot get this remote to work. SEIKI is not an option in the menu so I had to do that learn feature on the remote but I cannot get the power button to work. It appears that when you press power it just sends a pulse so the dish remote won't learn it. I really only need 4 buttons to work but can only get 2 to work. Volume up and Volume down works like a champ but input and power won't work.

Any ideas on how to get this to work or a 4 digit code for the seiki TV. I find it hard to believe that while the other remotes had a code for this but the latest remote doesn't have the code.

Are you trying to learn from your previous dish remote or the actual TV remote. In my experience if the dish remote is lighting up like a pulse, the batteries are critically low. Try using some new batteries. But yes, odd that Seiki isn't listed in the hopper.

Probably a dumb question, but on the find your TV screen, you are searching alphabetically and not leaving it on the top setting of most common brands?

Thanks Brodieb. Site above confirms code is 0178 as posted earlier.

FYI, when searching for codes elsewhere, Hopper remotes use the same codes as DirecTV and cable (right 4 digits), not old Dish codes.

TV 0178 is definitely the right code. When you say no luck, what do you mean exactly? Does it fail to accept the code? Does it take the code, but none of the functions work? Did you disable Limited Mode? You may need to clear out your learns on the TV device before trying any codes.

TV 0178 is definitely the right code. When you say no luck, what do you mean exactly? Does it fail to accept the code? Does it take the code, but none of the functions work? Did you disable Limited Mode? You may need to clear out your learns on the TV device before trying any codes.

It is definitely not the correct code and the reason I know this is I found the code. The way I found the code was a bit crazy. I called SEIKI and I got ahold of a support person who was American and located in Illinois (shocked by that). He asked me for the model number so I went to the back of the TV and got the model number. While I was reading off the model number I noticed it was a sticker of the top of so I just pulled the sticker and underneath the TV was branded as Curtis Mathis with a different model number. I searched the Curtis Mathis codes with no luck so then I googled the model number that was under the SEIKI model number and it said it was a curtis TV. So I did a lookup for Curtis and first one was a hit. I think the code was 0638 or something like that.

On a side note the support from SEIKI was second to none....the dude said he would just send me a new factory remote to see if that would work for programming my dish remote using the learn feature. I really thought a no name TV would have awful customer service but I have to say I was shocked. Probably the best customer service call I have ever made.

Here's the deal with Curtis (totally different from Curtis Mathis). That 0638 code uses the RC-5 protocol which has a toggle bit, making it unlearnable as a single command. A new remote from SEIKI isn't going to make any difference. However, you can get it to work if you learn and send both states to two different buttons. So when you learn it, press the button to learn, save it and test it. Press it twice. (Don't press any more buttons on the original remote yet). One of the two tries should do something. Start with the TV off. If it doesn't turn on, then turn it on manually and see if the command turns it off. Once you've identified what the first learn does. Learn it again. This time the toggle bit will be in the opposite state. Save and try that one with the TV off, then on. So now you've learned and tested both states of the toggle bit and both expected states in the TV itself.

The good news is, if 0638 really is the correct code, the toggle bits will work properly with the built-in code and you shouldn't have to learn anything at all. So first thing I'd do is clear out those old learns and see if the code works without them.

Hopper/Joey and old remotes.

Just made a discovery tonight after surfing with a handful of old dish remotes and a new Hopper/Joey system just installed.

Yah, I'm like most, the wife needs her own remote for volume control in the bedroom, and to surf in the living room when it's her turn.

I noticed all my old "green" tuner 1 remotes worked fine with the hopper. A bunch (3) of blue tuner 2 remotes didn't. Hummm. And couldn't be paired.

Found a link that informed me to pull the plug out of the bottom and flip it over for the blue "tuner 2" remotes. This places the remote transmissions for satellite receiver commands into IR transmission mode (verses UHF). Like tuner 1 remotes are. The auxilliarys are always IR for TV and aux devices, UHF for sat commands. Flip the plug to convert a blue tuner 2 remote into a green tuner 1 remote.

Once done, the remote ( tuner 1 remote) will control any Hopper/Joey in the house (IR...line of sight wise) Make sure address is set to 1. (press and hold sat button, press 1, press # key). The TV and aux can be programmed as before.

Extra remotes for sale!!! I have remotes back to 5.0.

good luck.

Yep, just about any Dish address 1 IR remote works fine. A 32.0 remote will even work in RF mode (hold it really close to the hopper/joey to pair). But most of the older remotes are missing the colored buttons which many have come to rely on. So the newer, the better.