Hopper Remote "Special" Key Combinations

PasTypique

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 9, 2016
Michigan
I just finished a self-install of a Hopper 3 and three Joey's (two Joey 3's and one Joey 4K). Other than spending over an hour on the phone with Dish because they kept insisting on requiring a site visit, it went well. One thing that came out of the phone call was that there appears to be many different "special" key combinations available on the 54.0 remote that are not published anywhere (at least that I can find). An example is performing a check switch by pressing the skip back button, followed by recall, followed by the skip back button again. How many other combinations exist like this that aren't in any of the manuals? Has anyone made a list?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I just finished a self-install of a Hopper 3 and three Joey's (two Joey 3's and one Joey 4K). Other than spending over an hour on the phone with Dish because they kept insisting on requiring a site visit, it went well. One thing that came out of the phone call was that there appears to be many different "special" key combinations available on the 54.0 remote that are not published anywhere (at least that I can find). An example is performing a check switch by pressing the skip back button, followed by recall, followed by the skip back button again. How many other combinations exist like this that aren't in any of the manuals? Has anyone made a list?
I cannot get this shortcut to work for check switch. Is this the exact procedure or does two buttons need to be pressed at the same time, etc?

Do you have to be on the Diagnostics screen for this shortcut to work?
I tried it from live TV, several Diagnostic screens, and the Settings menu. Can't get it to work. I wonder if DISH had his H3 in a different mode while they were on the phone with the poster and the combination keys worked. Any DISH installers out there heard of this check switch shortcut method?

I tried it from live TV, several Diagnostic screens, and the Settings menu. Can't get it to work. I wonder if DISH had his H3 in a different mode while they were on the phone with the poster and the combination keys worked. Any DISH installers out there heard of this check switch shortcut method?
After re-reading the first post, it occurred to me that it may require a long press of the Skip Back button. (In other words, the Rewind button on a 40.0 remote.)

I was at the Diagnostics Summary page. The receiver hadn't been activated yet. The remote is 54.0, which I believe makes a difference. There were no long presses. I pressed each key and let go before pressing the next key.

I was at the Diagnostics Summary page. The receiver hadn't been activated yet. The remote is 54.0, which I believe makes a difference. There were no long presses. I pressed each key and let go before pressing the next key.
I tried it with a 54.0 and 40.0 remote controls from Live TV and the Diagnostics Summary page. Does it work for you now since your H3 has been activated?

I tried it with a 54.0 and 40.0 remote controls from Live TV and the Diagnostics Summary page. Does it work for you now since your H3 has been activated?

That is a good question and I haven't tried it since activation. I'm at work now so I can't try until tonight. I do know that the advanced technician whom I was speaking with needed to know the remote I was using because he said the key combinations were different depending on the model.

That is a good question and I haven't tried it since activation. I'm at work now so I can't try until tonight. I do know that the advanced technician whom I was speaking with needed to know the remote I was using because he said the key combinations were different depending on the model.
OK, thanks. Can you get back with us when you have a chance to check it out?

Sure thing. But just for giggles, if you are in front of your set now and have a 54.0 remote, try this combination: Back, Recall, Back. I'm going by memory and I'm beginning to doubt myself.

Sure thing. But just for giggles, if you are in front of your set now and have a 54.0 remote, try this combination: Back, Recall, Back. I'm going by memory and I'm beginning to doubt myself.
I tried that with a 54.0 from Live TV and the Diagnostic menu. Still didn't work. Thanks for getting back with us.

Reactions: PasTypique
Just one last comment on this...I spent a lot of time trying to convince the various technicians on the phone that I knew what I was doing with regard to the self installation and what did the check switch reveal? I was not plugged into port number one on the hybrid LNBF. Terribly embarrassing but easily remedied. After that was fixed, all four receivers activated and they've been working like a charm ever since. Technology is fun, isn't it? ;-)

Just one last comment on this...I spent a lot of time trying to convince the various technicians on the phone that I knew what I was doing with regard to the self installation and what did the check switch reveal? I was not plugged into port number one on the hybrid LNBF. Terribly embarrassing but easily remedied. After that was fixed, all four receivers activated and they've been working like a charm ever since. Technology is fun, isn't it? ;-)
Very embarrassing! LOL. We have all been there done that. :coco

If anyone wants to go back to the Installation Wizard for any reason: from the Diagnostics screen, press Info, followed by Recall. I think I got that tip from another post by JSheridan a long time ago. :)
JSheridan, is this a procedure one could try if their Hopper has some of them weird issues that no one else has? Like maybe starting over might fix them.

Reactions: pattykay
JSheridan, is this a procedure one could try if their Hopper has some of them weird issues that no one else has? Like maybe starting over might fix them.
I used that procedure early this morning to force my Wally to take the latest software download. Since then, it does not seem to have the problem that I had previously with the Wally automatically turning itself back on after the Daily Reset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)