Hopper Series 3 Local/ Network Recording

Paul Stevens

Original poster
Jul 26, 2016
Galena, Ohio
Ever since the May 2016 software update, the local recording would not playback without breaking up or freezing. After putting up with this, and complaining to Dish tech support several times, nothing but we are working on it was said.

Last evening I decided to revert to the original software the unit came with before the May upgrade. Once that process was complete plus repeating all the normal new setup functions and rebooting, all the local records come out perfect.

I used the following procedure: Go to settings, diagnostics, Tools, than Reset to Factory Defaults. The whole process may take several minutes but it restored the DVR to full capacity and service.

Paul Stevens

Ever since the May 2016 software update, the local recording would not playback without breaking up or freezing. After putting up with this, and complaining to Dish tech support several times, nothing but we are working on it was said.

Last evening I decided to revert to the original software the unit came with before the May upgrade. Once that process was complete plus repeating all the normal new setup functions and rebooting, all the local records come out perfect.

I used the following procedure: Go to settings, diagnostics, Tools, than Reset to Factory Defaults. The whole process may take several minutes but it restored the DVR to full capacity and service.

Paul Stevens

If you're talking about OTA recordings then your fix was temporary at best. OTA recordings have not played correctly since the Hopper 3 came out so even if the reset you did set the software back, which I'm pretty sure it doesn't, it will still have software that doesn't record OTA correctly. Also, software downloads automatically and you can't stop it, so if your receiver isn't on the current version now it soon will be.

What version software do you currently have?

Paul Stevens
The only work around that I have found to work on ota reliably , it to set an auto tune timer for the ota channel ,on the show right before the ota show ,you actually want to record. This makes the recordings come out with not audio hickups and video pixelations. This tricks the hopper into thinking you are watching the ota channel live, when you set the recording to fire. I've been using this work around for over a month now and it works fine ,but I would rather that DISH fixes it ,but for now it does work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)