Hopper+ Slows TV from coming on

FastKat

Original poster
Oct 2, 2023
United States
I am new with Dish and have the Hopper 3 with Hopper+. On the front of the Hopper it says Hopper with Sling but the ID Tag on the bottom says Hopper 3. When I turn on the TV it takes 3-5 minutes for the TV screen to come on with the TV Channel. If I remove the Hopper+ and turn on the TV, it comes on instantly but then I do not have access to all the Apps. Any idea of what causes the TV to be delayed for 3-5 minutes before coming on? Could it be my internet speed (300mbps)? I have had Dish techs here three times and they keep telling me this is normal.

Internet has nothing to do with it. It sounds more like a resolution or handshake type of issue between the plus and the TV. I've heard of some people havingvideo issues especially with certain samsung tvs that were resolved by using a better quality hdmi such as the audioquest pearl cable that dish sells or something similar.

Internet has nothing to do with it. It sounds more like a resolution or handshake type of issue between the plus and the TV. I've heard of some people havingvideo issues especially with certain samsung tvs that were resolved by using a better quality hdmi such as the audioquest pearl cable that dish sells or something similar.
I had a new HDMI Cable and installed it. This made no difference. It seems like when I turn on Dish and TV, Dish has to go through the setup process every time. When I turn on it displays the Dish logo on the screen for about 20 seconds, then the screen goes black and android tv boots up on the screen, then dish goes through 1.Initiallizing, 2. Connecting to Hopper, 3. Completing setup. Once this is completed the App screen appears. The Hopper+ is connected to the Hopper 3 via the USB Cable and the HDMI is plugged into the Hopper+. My internet is connected to the Hopper 3 via coax. I have two Joey 4 in other rooms and they have all the Apps and I can also add Apps with Joey 4. Also, when I turn on the Joey 4 it comes on almost instantly to the App screen. I am not a tech guy but you would think the the Hopper 3 with Hopper+ would also come on instantly. Any help would be appreciated from anyone.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I had a new HDMI Cable and installed it. This made no difference. It seems like when I turn on Dish and TV, Dish has to go through the setup process every time. When I turn on it displays the Dish logo on the screen for about 20 seconds, then the screen goes black and android tv boots up on the screen, then dish goes through 1.Initiallizing, 2. Connecting to Hopper, 3. Completing setup. Once this is completed the App screen appears. The Hopper+ is connected to the Hopper 3 via the USB Cable and the HDMI is plugged into the Hopper+. My internet is connected to the Hopper 3 via coax. I have two Joey 4 in other rooms and they have all the Apps and I can also add Apps with Joey 4. Also, when I turn on the Joey 4 it comes on almost instantly to the App screen. I am not a tech guy but you would think the the Hopper 3 with Hopper+ would also come on instantly. Any help would be appreciated from anyone.
HDMI Cable is plugged into the Hopper Plus and TV.

Two comments, is the HDMI Cable certified meaning it should have a tag tied on the cable or the packaging that looks like this:
1696374610239.png
or
1696374644484.png
And you said your internet is connectd to the Hopper 3 via Coax meaning a RG-6 or RG-11 cable with the F-connector. I could be wrong but I thought the Internet connection either had to come in on a Ethernet cable with a RJ-45 connector or it was Wireless using WiFi.

Well you never mentioned all that in the original post, you made it sound like you weren't getting picture at all. So that rules out the hdmi. It's not a video issue at all like originally described it's a software issue. When I first installed my plus it acted similarly, and was a software issue. It is possible with the new info that internet can have something to do with it if the hopper isn't able to download the android files and update. On your remote hold down the home button and see what your software versions are. If software is good then you'll probably want dish to replace the plus.

I am new with Dish and have the Hopper 3 with Hopper+. On the front of the Hopper it says Hopper with Sling but the ID Tag on the bottom says Hopper 3. When I turn on the TV it takes 3-5 minutes for the TV screen to come on with the TV Channel. If I remove the Hopper+ and turn on the TV, it comes on instantly but then I do not have access to all the Apps. Any idea of what causes the TV to be delayed for 3-5 minutes before coming on? Could it be my internet speed (300mbps)? I have had Dish techs here three times and they keep telling me this is normal.
It could only be the Plus unit that the hopper is hooked up to that is causing the delay. I don't have the plus unit but it makes sense that if the hopper is going through the plus unit it would have to sync up before the picture comes up. Are there any settings in the Plus unit that deal with display?

It could only be the Plus unit that the hopper is hooked up to that is causing the delay. I don't have the plus unit but it makes sense that if the hopper is going through the plus unit it would have to sync up before the picture comes up. Are there any settings in the Plus unit that deal with display?
Once the plus and hopper are synced, they're synced. It wouldn't cause 3+ minute delays

What brand and model TV?

Does the Hopper have a red stripe across the front?

I’m no expert, but it sure sounds like the H+ is NQR.
Yes, the make/model of the TV is important as it could be some known flaw with that specific TV in general like the purple lines with Samsung TVs as an example.

If what Scott says in Wireless joey 4 = crap is true then I can see why the H+ is NQR since one would expect the H+ to actually run Android directly and not something that runs under emulation on a host OS.