Hopper upgrade.

Dave100

Original poster
Jun 1, 2020
Connecticut
I upgrading my A/V equipment and I am trying to determine if I should upgrade to a hopper3 from a VIP 222. Does the hopper3 produce any better video? Dish claims the Hopper3 to be 4K capable. Therefore does it pass along HDR metadata for either static or dynamic. Or is it simply upscaling the data which my TV is capable of doing?

I upgrading my A/V equipment and I am trying to determine if I should upgrade to a hopper3 from a VIP 222. Does the hopper3 produce any better video? Dish claims the Hopper3 to be 4K capable. Therefore does it pass along HDR metadata for either static or dynamic. Or is it simply upscaling the data which my TV is capable of doing?
Thee Hopper 3 has considerable PQ improvement over the 222. I really can't answer the second question, but I will tell you there is very little 4K programming, those that are are mostly all sporting events, which there are none right now.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Last 4K was right as the country was shut down as the basketball conference tourneys were starting.

H3 does do 4K HDR, 4K Joey does not.

I don't believe there has been any HDR programing since the Super Bowl.

HDR is more complex and can react differently with various equipment configurations. Could you explain in a mote technical manner why you believe the Hopper3 provides better video? I can understand how the hopper could upscale a video to make it look better on a TV that does not have that capability. The VIP722 does not have the upscale capability, but my new Equipment will perform that task. Also, does anyone know how Hopper 3 handles metadata for HDR. Does it pass it along and if so is it static or dynamic?

Reactions: TheKrell
Dish has three 4K channels. Channels 540-01 and 540-03 do not use HDR. Channel 540-02 uses HDR data. Currently none of the 4K channels have any content. Prior to the pandemic, Fox Sports had several 4K basketball and football games shown on channel 540-01. Since HDR data was not used the colors were less vivid.
Dish showed the Olympics and the World Cup using 4K HDR and they all looked fantastic.
As mentioned earlier the Dish 4K Joey is not capable of using HDR. This caused problems for customers trying to watch the Olympics since the 4K Joey would not work.
Dish also has several On Demand 4K movies and several 4K series. These are all streamed to the Hopper3. I am not sure but I believe that none of the 4K On Demand content uses HDR.
The Hopper3 also can stream Netflix 4K HDR content and the picture is excellent.
Finally, the Hopper3 can stream Amazon Prime 4K HDR content. Again the picture is great.
The Hopper3 also changes from 1080i output to 4K (3840 x 2160) output when Multiview is selected.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Thanks for the reply. It looks like Dish has not caught up with HDR enough for me to upgrade to Hopper3 yet. My Oled will upconvert the 1080i to 4K. Without Hopper not adopting HDR Static or dynamic, I don't see much advantage to the Hopper yet for video quality My TV will also stream all the other stuff well without hopper. I will now find out what the fiber folks offer to see if they can supply the metadata (Dolby vision/HDR-10+) my TV is capable of. Hopper is analogous to putting a 200 mph speedometer in a Prius to make folk think it will go 200mph :)

I just did a test of the Netflix 4K HDR content and it appears that the HDR signal is not present on the Hopper3 Netflix content compared to the same Netflix content on my Sony TV.

The HDR signal is present for the Hopper3 Amazon Prime content.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Thanks for the reply. It looks like Dish has not caught up with HDR enough for me to upgrade to Hopper3 yet. My Oled will upconvert the 1080i to 4K. Without Hopper not adopting HDR Static or dynamic, I don't see much advantage to the Hopper yet for video quality My TV will also stream all the other stuff well without hopper. I will now find out what the fiber folks offer to see if they can supply the metadata (Dolby vision/HDR-10+) my TV is capable of. Hopper is analogous to putting a 200 mph speedometer in a Prius to make folk think it will go 200mph :)
The Hopper 3 is the most advanced DVR that you will find. Your VIP 222 is ancient history.

IMO. your are overly fascinated with HDR to blow off the H3.. Half the movies or show that have it, or DV, you would never know! You are not going to find another provider to satisfy your whim. Channels do not carry it. Streaming is your only option.

And your concerns about the Hooper's HDR abilities are the same as worrying about the Prius when you don't have a driver's license.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)