Hopper Upgrades

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think you handled it well, it's always a good idea to get employee ID's too, so if a problem arises you have references. I got a free sling upgrade, like your case, the charge appeared on my next bill, but was corrected after I complained. It's ironic that new customers get all the goodies, but long term ones really need to do their research when upgrading.

Hopper Upgrade Attn. DIRT

I think you handled it well, it's always a good idea to get employee ID's too, so if a problem arises you have references. I got a free sling upgrade, like your case, the charge appeared on my next bill, but was corrected after I complained. It's ironic that new customers get all the goodies, but long term ones really need to do their research when upgrading.

+1 on that for sure. Can a DIRT member please contact me regarding my Hopper upgrade? What happened to me was 2 weeks ago I called to get an upgrade from a 722 to hopper with Joey. The reason I wanted to upgrade to the Hopper was so I could get Dish Anywhere and use WIFI in home to communicate with my home network and also get Dish at my vacation home with Dish Anywhere. Well what they sent me was the original Hopper which doesn't have the Dishanywhere capability nor WIFI connection other than managing my DVR recordings. I contacted Dish yesterday about that and they confirmed that I indeed did not have the new Hopper but the first gen version and that I should have told the CSR when ordering that I wanted the new XIP913 Hopper that has the capabilities I wanted (even tho the TV advertisements tout the new version with all the goodies. WTF... Oh and IF I wanted the new version I now have to pay $100 for the latest version. IF I had asked for the new version of the Hopper (XIP913) 2 weeks ago when I ordered it there would have been no charge. That to me is TOTAL BS. Why in the world would Dish advertise the latest greatest Dishanywhere and when loyal customers call for an upgrade they send out the old version? I wonder how many folks this has happened to. Wouldn't it be less expensive for Dish to just send out the newest version or let the customers know what EXACTLY they are upgrading to. I expected the newest version since that's what the add is for on TV and the dish website. Now Dish has to send out another tech to my home to install the new Hopper. The reason for a DIRT member to contact me is the $100 fee they are going to charge me for the upgrade I thought I was getting free 2 weeks ago.

Oh and hey if I was a new customer I would have gotten all the new stuff for 1/3 the cost I'm paying now for a year... Why wouldn't Dish offer that deal to customers that are upgrading and are good customers. I would think taking care of loyal customers would be the #1 priority.

Imagine how I felt when I tried to connect to Dishanywhere and even tho Dish set me up an account for that I had no way to use it as advertised. I thought I had a problem with my computer network... messed around with it for a good 2 hours which prompted my call to Dish and then finding out I have the old gen1 Hopper.... WOW that really sucked.

Cheers,
Bob Brown

Hi Bob and :welcometo SAT GUYS! The Hopper with Sling is the latest receiver that DISH has released and there is a minimum $100.00 upgrade fee for this receiver for all exisiting DISH customers. It has been this way since the Hopper with Sling was released. The orginial Hopper is what is deferred too unless the customer specifically requests the Hopper with Sling. If you add a sling adapter to your existing Hopper,you can have access to the DISH Anywhere. You can purchase the sling adapter on your online account at www.mydish.com. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know but DIRT is not able to waive the upgrade fee for a Hopper with Sling. Thank you!

Could a DIRT team member please contact me regarding an upgrade from DVR 625 to a Hopper with 1 Joey? Trying to figure out initial/set up costs along with monthly costs.

Thanks Mary - I was told that IF I asked for the gen2 Hopper at my initial upgrade request that I would get it FREE! Is that correct?

Cheers,
Bob
I am sorry, Bob but no that is not correct. Existing Customer are charged a minimum of $100.00 for a Hopper with Sling upgrade and that is what I paid to upgrade mine.

Thank you for letting me know. I'm going with the upgrade to my upgrade, is there anything else I need to connect my home WIFI to the new Hopper with Sling? Right now I can see my Hopper and I can see my computer (somewhat - no functionality) from the hopper, cant see anything on my network from the Joey; which is where I want to use my WIFI to view saved videos etc from PC and I cannot see WIFI from Joey at all (currently).
Cheers,
Bob

You will need to bridge the Hopper to get the internet abilities at the Joey. (Yellow, Blue Hot Key- Broadband- Press the Blue Hot Key twice and enable bridging). The sharing you are talking about between devices in your home would require a DLNA server. The Hopper is compatible but you would need to set this up in your home network and it will make no difference if you have either Hopper.

You will need to bridge the Hopper to get the internet abilities at the Joey. (Yellow, Blue Hot Key- Broadband- Press the Blue Hot Key twice and enable bridging). The sharing you are talking about between devices in your home would require a DLNA server. The Hopper is compatible but you would need to set this up in your home network and it will make no difference if you have either Hopper.

Thanks for the tip - very nice and glad to know. Now I have a question about the DLNA server. I'm running Windows 7 on all my home computers, will the DLNA server packaged with Windows 7 work or will I need to get another one? If another one, which do you recommend, or better which DLNA server works best with the Hopper/Joey for media streaming?

Thanks and Cheers,
Bob

Thanks for the tip - very nice and glad to know. Now I have a question about the DLNA server. I'm running Windows 7 on all my home computers, will the DLNA server packaged with Windows 7 work or will I need to get another one? If another one, which do you recommend, or better which DLNA server works best with the Hopper/Joey for media streaming?

Thanks and Cheers,
Bob

I would ask this on the open forum. I do not use DLNA in my home and DISH does not have an official recommendation but the members here are always willing to help when they can. Good Luck!

That is very interesting and different from my experience. I've been with Dish for 16 years and had a 722 (leased) and 612 (owned). I called two weeks ago and worked my way up to the retention department... They agreed to update me to a Hopper with Sling and a Joey at no cost.

Now for my naive question of the day: I have a new Hopper w/Sling and a Joey. The Hopper is on WiFi. Why would I want to bridge the Hopper? What capabilities does that give me that I don't already have?

Thanks!

Last edited:
That is very interesting and different from my experience. I've been with Dish for 16 years and had a 722 (leased) and 612 (owned). I called two weeks ago and worked my way up to the retention department... They agreed to update me to a Hopper with Sling and a Joey at no cost.

Now for my naive question of the day: I have a new Hopper w/Sling and a Joey. The Hopper is on WiFi. Why would I want to bridge the Hopper? What capabilities does that give me that I don't already have?

Thanks!

It allows the Joey to use Apps......

It allows the Joey to use Apps......

That and "supposedly" you can share media from your home computer network and watch them on your Dish system, both at the hopper AND the Joey. Mixed results for me so far tho with the Joey. I got it all going yesterday after the install of the Hopper w/sling, tested the Joey tested the Hopper. My Joey is set up in my Listening room (audio), added the Joey so I could watch video and listen to music. Anyway... call my wife last night all ready to show off our new gear...burrrrp.. Nothing, no connection to Moca no connection to wifi but I did have Dish network just nothing available on the home network/Joey. Kinda ruined the mood for entertainment, still got to listen to music on my turntable tho... that equipment never seems to need to be upgraded and always works. Maybe there's a message in there for me.

Cheers,
Bob

I do understand how equipment issues can be frustrating. My turntable still works great as well but I have a limited vinyl collection left. Did you try and reset the Moca on your Hopper? Please PM me if you continue to have an issue. Thank you!

Hi Mary - yes I got it back up and running again... bottle of wine tonight ... keeping finger X'd, maybe we will sit down fire up the turntable and watch some vids on my computer! I'm feeling good about it, I'll report back later.

Cheers,
Bob

yes, and if DIRT can't help, go to the phone and make your case. us long term existing customers have to really dig for the deals.

OK, an OTA tuner question... I have a Hopper with Sling and a Joey. I have one of the USB OTA tuner models also hooked up to the Hopper... The question is: If I wanted to be able to watch (or record) two OTA feeds simultaneously, I assume that I would need a second OTA module, right? Can the system even support two OTA USB modules (there are two USB ports on the back of the Hopper and one on the Joey) and if so, are both installed at the Hopper or one at the Hopper and one at the Joey?

Thanks,
Tom

Won't work. AFAIK the Hopper only supports 1 ota module. It can support 2 ehd's at the same time The multiple usb ports allow multiple usb devices, just not 2 ota modules.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts