Hopper w/ Sling Kaput

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Skytrooper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Baden, Pa.
My bedroom Hopper been doing weird things for the last week, shutting off and rebooting. Finally today, black screen, then turns on and off at will. Now it gives a message "Hard Drive Failure". Yep, all my recordings are gone.

Called Dish and a new one is in the mail. They will not charge me for the days it is out. I asked for more. They offered one month free Cinemax. Upon more complaining about the wife losing her recordings, they upped the free Cinemax for three months.

Pays to speak up. If I didn't ask for something, they would of not offered anything.

My bedroom Hopper been doing weird things for the last week, shutting off and rebooting. Finally today, black screen, then turns on and off at will. Now it gives a message "Hard Drive Failure". Yep, all my recordings are gone.

Called Dish and a new one is in the mail. They will not charge me for the days it is out. I asked for more. They offered one month free Cinemax. Upon more complaining about the wife losing her recordings, they upped the free Cinemax for three months.

Pays to speak up. If I didn't ask for something, they would of not offered anything.

Should they have to offer you anything though? I can understand not charging for the days you are without TV but I don't think they owe the rest of that to you. It was nice of them to do it though.

Yes it was nice they offered free Cinemax. The reason I posted this was to help others and be compensated for your inconvience. My wife isn't very happy about losing her recordings.

As far as a EHD, I myself, can deal with losing recordings. There is so much programming available that to me it don't matter. You can also find a lot of what you lost.

I had to reformat my hard drive a couple of weeks ago - Sept 14th - and then started having problems again last night. A power button reboot fixed it, but now I don't trust it. So I tried to backup my recorded programs to our hard drive and now I find that the PTAT stuff was not listed for transfer to the external hard drive.
So if the hard drive acts up again we will be out all the major networks recorded programs and that is what we mostly watch.
I guess the question is why can't we transfer PTAT recordings to the external hard drive? Is this something new? I could swear that when we changed to the Hopper a couple of years ago that I backed up ALL my recording from our old VIP receiver and restored them all to the Hopper.
We were happy then but if this thing craps out again we will be very unhappy!

You can't transfer until the PTAT retention date is reached. Default is 8 days. Set it to 2. days.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I gave you the steps on another thread, but Thomas is correct. Just remember to move the recordings to "my recordings" folder otherwise they will remove themselves.

New Hopper still in the mail. Our Bedroom Hopper has been working fine for the last two days. (the broke one). I wonder what Dish is going to do with this intermittent Hopper in which I will return to them when the replacement arrives. Pawn it off to someone else and hope it keeps on ticking?

I'm not trying to be a wise guy and I like Dish. I worked in electronics for over 40 years and know a intermittent failure is a tech's worst nightmare. I just don't want to see someone else get my Hopper and have issues. As I stated earlier, I can deal with lost recordings, but others may not.

Got replacement Hopper today. Took nearly a hour to get things going again. Rep did a fine job making sure things were ok. You just can't plug a replacement in. You can only go so far and you must call Dish at a certain point to verify your old Hopper's numbers and the replacement Hopper's numbers.

All's well again except for my wife's recordings. So if this happens to any Sat Guys members, do like I did and ask for some compensation. It pays to speak up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)