Hopper w/Sling not playing back DVR recordings? Help please.

DallasBill

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Plano, Texas, United States
We have a Hopper with Sling that when we go to play back a recording from DVR it only displays a black screen, then when we go to return to live programming it stays on black screen for about 10 seconds then the picture comes back.

We have rebooted the Hopper to see if it would resolve the playback issue but to no avail.

I'm thinking it's a corrupted software issue possibly.

Hardware S328 NDEB
Sling version 05.04.324
Firmware 0000

Recommend contacting Dish for a replacement?

You say you did a rebbot. Was is a 'red button' reboot? You might try to unplug it for 15 seconds and repower it. This often works....

I started another thread about this same problem a few days ago. It's not just PTAT, it seems to happen any time the Hopper is recording any DVR event at the time. I notified Matt of DIRT, he says they are already aware of the issue. Hopefully it will be corrected in a future software update.

I started another thread about this same problem a few days ago. It's not just PTAT, it seems to happen any time the Hopper is recording any DVR event at the time. I notified Matt of DIRT, he says they are already aware of the issue. Hopefully it will be corrected in a future software update.
The playback black screen symptom occurs whether it is recording or not. I have the receiver unplugged as Bobby suggested. I hope they have a software patch or fix for this.

Just happened to me twice in the past two days. Went to watch a recorded show and only got a black screen. It shows the whole program is there by the timer but only a black screen. I haven't really looked into any things that might be common to this happening.

Reactions: Troch77
Just happened to me twice in the past two days. Went to watch a recorded show and only got a black screen. It shows the whole program is there by the timer but only a black screen. I haven't really looked into any things that might be common to this happening.
Had that happen very often.
So far not on the H3 yet.

But the RSN guide Glitch is still present on the H3.
You collapse it, You lose your cursor.
Exit and re-enter guide and magic its back.

Last edited:
Just seems to be some recording of some shows. I had one that had the black screen. Rerecorded later and it played OK. This one was on A&E.

Had this problem on two History channel programs I recorded last night on my HWS.
Glad I have a Hulu account so that I can view them there.

Have play back issues with the Hopper 3.

Black screen except for a progress bar that progresses very fast, like skipping forward.
Less than 24 hours after activating our Hopper 3 we had the exact same problem — Black screen when trying to play back DVR recordings and the rapid progress bar.

Thankfully Bobby’s suggestion of the red reset button behind the receiver's flip down door has gotten our DVR working again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)