Hopper with Sling freezing on DVR playback..and a bad CSR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hvarma2008

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Johnston, IA
I recently got Hopper with Sling, less than 2 weeks ago. Today while watching recorded programs, the DVR would freeze repeatedly every few minutes and unfreeze and continue playing. It seems to happen only with HD programs, but not SD programs ( maybe coincidence?). The Hopper is being sluggish when trying to change channels as well, sometimes not responding at all. I called DISH and the CSR started saying that the snowstorm in the area is causing it ( we did have a snowstorm in Iowa). I told him I have had DISH for a long time and never had this kind of experience with any DVR. I miss-spoke and said I was a DISH customer for 14 years, the CSR felt it was more important to correct that fact and tell me that I have only been a customer for 10+ years instead of trying to see if I may have a defective Hopper or something else maybe up. In the past when snow covers the DISH, we basically get no signal at all. I fail to understand how programs recorded prior to the snowstorm can be impacted and cause the DVR to freeze on playback. I have never experienced such a unruly CSR ever in my years with DISH. I just had to cut him off and disconnect the phone..Sorry for the long and winding post. Has anyone else had such an issue with the Hopper? I did press the reset button, but it did no good..

Sounds like the Hard Drive is going bad. Happened to me recently. Contact Dirt.

Just got off with DISH technical chat, and they will be sending a replacement unit. What a pain. A bad hard drive is what I suspected, but that happens when you buy computers too.

Do you have an external USB hard drive (one that has its own power supply)? You can plug it in to your Hopper and save any recordings you want to keep before the replacement arrives.

Do you have an external USB hard drive (one that has its own power supply)? You can plug it in to your Hopper and save any recordings you want to keep before the replacement arrives.
Some recordings, like the ones that cause the OP's freeze up are probably corrupt and will not transfer.

I still can't get over the fact that the first CSR on the phone was bent on convincing me that the recorded programs on the DVR were freezing up because of the snow storm. He was so sure ;)

Could there have been signal loss on the recordings while the storm was on its way in, or are these much more dated recordings?

It is happening on all recordings. Even the ones recorded before the storm, and now yesterday, after the storm.
The reception is clear and the signal strength is green on all satellites. It seems like a bad hard drive. The replacement is arriving tomorrow.

They do have certain steps that have to be performed. That's one thing I know hasnt changed, as reps still bitch about. Each side has a reasonable gripe.

The Hopper DVR is now flashing the hard drive failure message when I try to use any DVR functions.
Good thing I am getting a replacement tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts