Hopper with Sling Software Version S502 is Out

I don't think you will be able to access the timers. It will just push them to the other Hopper in the case of a timer conflict. You can then access the recording from the other Hopper by using the whole home DVR functionality.

Either way, I REALLY hope that there will be an option to enable/disable it. No telling how it would react to quad Hopper installations!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I don't think you will be able to access the timers. It will just push them to the other Hopper in the case of a timer conflict. You can then access the recording from the other Hopper by using the whole home DVR functionality.

Hmmm. Adds a little bit to remember to the equation. But probably the best compromise. Adding the option to automatically transfer the recording back to the first Hopper could be even more confusing.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

One change I don't appreciate involves Search. I used to be able to highlight a show in the Hopper or Guide (for example Godzilla 2000), press Search and get the result. The title would then remain in the Search field so I could delete words after it until it just showed 'Godzilla', which would result in any other Godzilla results. My intention was to create a Seek & Record timer for all of the Godzilla movies this week. Now after I move to the search pad, my cursor lands on 'P' and my result instantly goes blank as if I cleared it. Now 'Godzilla 2000' is gone, preventing me from editing the title and I just have general search results. I used to do this shortcut a lot and now I can't. It was also helpful when I couldn't reproduce a character such as a hyphen, exclamation mark, or apostrophe (ex: Scooby-Doo!).

Last edited:
So...going from losing the buffer when doing pretty much anything, to QUAD live buffers now?? mmmkay

So do we have live buffers on all the turners? Can you see them from the TV activity screen (red button)?

A few observations relating to External Hard Drives and S502. The new format of showing the Season and Episode numbers which was introduced with the update seems to be fine and accurate for anything recorded to your Hopper currently. Unfortunately it also tries to add this information to past episodes of shows saved onto your EHD. After having an EHD plugged in for only a short amount of time, it assigned Season and Episode numbers to my recordings and to say it was inaccurate is an understatement. Nearly every single one of my episodes now have S1, Ep5 or S2, Ep6 (Ex: The recent second season of Vikings now displays every episode from 1-10 as S2, Ep6). Also some shows have S2 when they've only had a first season so it's confusing and the information is useless.

Last edited:
Start early and end late still not working on OTA recording. Until this is fixed the OTA tuner is only useful to me for watching live.

Start early and end late still not working on OTA recording. Until this is fixed the OTA tuner is only useful to me for watching live.

The work around I do is a manual timer for the OTA channel. You can do that if the start early and end late doesn't cause issues with your other timers.

So do we have live buffers on all the turners? Can you see them from the TV activity screen (red button)?

As far as I can tell you see live buffers. Here is a pic of TV activity I have set up in the Multi-Swap menu.

Multi-Swap-4.jpg

Last edited:
Multi-Swap doesn't seem to be working for me. If you pause a channel, swap to another channel, then swap back to the channel you paused, when is swaps back, it jumps to Live TV. It doesn't stay paused like it does with Multi-Swap turned OFF.

I believe you need to stay away some minimum number of seconds (10?) to avoid bouncing to live.

Multi-Swap doesn't seem to be working for me. If you pause a channel, swap to another channel, then swap back to the channel you paused, when is swaps back, it jumps to Live TV. It doesn't stay paused like it does with Multi-Swap turned OFF.

All that swapping around gets too confusing for me. I don't think I will use the new Multi-Swap feature.

Now when you make a new timer and there is a timer conflict with something previously scheduled, instead of showing the program you're trying to create the timer for that has the conflict in the pop-up message, it shows the event causing the conflict. (Ex: Created a timer event for Rio on FXX for next Friday at 8 and it told me it conflicted and invited me to record the next airing, but what was shown in the message was Deep in the Darkness on Chiller, one of the conflicting timer events since it's also on at 8. Also when you fast forward or rewind a program it now displays the name in the middle of the scroll bar. I also can't help but notice the drop in speed which I access My Recordings and it doesn't instantly respond when you try to click on a recording and pull up the menu to choose an option such as Delete or Edit. It lagged so much I accidentally chose Start Over and played a recording while trying to Delete it and it lost what I wanted to record on live TV. I've never had that happen before. My other HWS still has S342 so it's very easy to compare the difference in response time and speed. S502 is slower. There is good news about the Season and Episode issue affecting the EHD view though. My other HWS still has S342 and when I brought my EHD to it and viewed the saved recordings all of the incorrect seasons and episode numbers reverted back to just showing the Episode numbers which indicates it isn't a permanent change to the EHD or the recordings.

One change I don't appreciate involves Search. I used to be able to highlight a show in the Hopper or Guide (for example Godzilla 2000), press Search and get the result. The title would then remain in the Search field so I could delete words after it until it just showed 'Godzilla', which would result in any other Godzilla results. My intention was to create a Seek & Record timer for all of the Godzilla movies this week. Now after I move to the search pad, my cursor lands on 'P' and my result instantly goes blank as if I cleared it. Now 'Godzilla 2000' is gone, preventing me from editing the title and I just have general search results. I used to do this shortcut a lot and now I can't. It was also helpful when I couldn't reproduce a character such as a hyphen, exclamation mark, or apostrophe (ex: Scooby-Doo!).

Are you using the search icon in the menu to search or are you pushing the # button on the remote. I do not have 502 yet, but the pound button search brings up the current channel title.

I'm also noticing a lag or slowdown when doing things. When watching a recording on HWS2 from HWS1, deleted recording seems to hesitate, then sits on the black screen too long, almost gets stuck - had to hit a couple of buttons to get live tv to return (happened twice). Watched several PTAT episodes that had Autohop icon showing, but no Autohop when played back. Maybe when the other HWS gets the same update things like that won't happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)