Hopper3 and OTA questions

Steve_in_FL

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Central Florida
Hi,

I've been with DirecTV since 2002 and just switched to Dish. Mainly b/c DTV's OTA unit AM21n can't scan and as such it wouldn't list at least 4 channels that were there with good signal levels but it wouldn't let them into the DTV guide. I understand why as DTV changed it to only see what's in their database. I tried all different zip codes and all that and did a lot of research but it's useless ! I thank all here who helped me with that !

So, I have the Hopper3 with the OTA module along with 2 Joey 2.0's and so far it's working good. Except for a couple of things, mainly the inability to create a favorites list with the OTA channels which I know has been discussed here and I've read much of it. I can on the Joey 2.0 units though. Will this be fixed in an Dish update soon ? (I hope).

The other thing is that after a few days, the ota guide data started showing up, thankfully. But other ota channels list in the guide like "Grit" and "this", etc. but no data. Is there anything I can do like rescan or something to get the data into the guide ? Or, how does Dish get the info to put in the guide ? Can we contact the local channel owner and ask them to provide the data to DIsh ? I just don't know how it's handled.

I'll add that IMO, Dish and the Hopper3 with the OTA USB module is great and far superior to the DTV genie/ AM21n !

Thanks,

Steve

DISH gets the OTA guide data from tribune media. DISH only provides the data that they want to which is basically only for your channels that they actually provide. So it is not very often that you will get guide data for any thing other than the main .1 subchannel.

DISH gets the OTA guide data from tribune media. DISH only provides the data that they want to which is basically only for your channels that they actually provide. So it is not very often that you will get guide data for any thing other than the main .1 subchannel.
OK thanks for the info. In my guide they are providing data for several OTA subchannels like METV, AntennaTV, Cozi, Movies and many others I'm really not interested in other than the ones I specify here. Mainly to me, they're just not providing data for "this" and "Grit" and "H&I". So I'm thankful they do provide ANY.

I'm curious as to why they provide for some subchannels and not others, hopefully they will in the future. It took a few days for the OTA guide data to show up.

Also, I'm in the Orlando/Daytona Beach market which I would think is a pretty good size market area.

I'm curious as to why they provide for some subchannels and not others, hopefully they will in the future. It took a few days for the OTA guide data to show up.
My guess would be Me, Cozi and AntennaTV are actually networks with local subchannel distribution. Most of the others are station originated (broadcast).

My guess would be Me, Cozi and AntennaTV are actually networks with local subchannel distribution. Most of the others are station originated (broadcast).
I don't think so for Grit, if you look at www.grittv.com/find-us/

And "this" tv network in wikipedia you'll see it's also nationwide and actually owned by the Tribune and MGM. As is H&I is nationwide. So you would think Dish would have easy access to this data, but I just don't know exactly how it all works and I'm trying to learn. I wish there were some sort of contact page for Dish where you could request the additions of guide data of this type of braodcasters, not for locally originated programs, that seems like it would be overwhelming for Dish.

Thanks

I don't think so for Grit, if you look at www.grittv.com/find-us/

And "this" tv network in wikipedia you'll see it's also nationwide and actually owned by the Tribune and MGM. As is H&I is nationwide. So you would think Dish would have easy access to this data, but I just don't know exactly how it all works and I'm trying to learn. I wish there were some sort of contact page for Dish where you could request the additions of guide data of this type of braodcasters, not for locally originated programs, that seems like it would be overwhelming for Dish.

Thanks
There used to be a channel request sticky, but seems to have gone away, but that was really for nationals. As this has been discussed MANY times in the last few years, you get what you get, and don't don't get your hopes up for much any more. But, you never know.

DISH only provides the data that they want to which is basically only for your channels that they actually provide. So it is not very often that you will get guide data for any thing other than the main .1 subchannel.

I use a VIP722k in the Binghamton, NY area which is able to pick up two local channels OTA. These channels both have subchannels that Dish does not provide in their package, but which do appear in the guide. These are the CW and My 8 networks. I have been able to pull in some Scranton PA channels as well, though not reliably, and when they work they too appear in the guide.

Everybody who is having problems with OTA on the H3 should contact DIRT and tell them about it, if you haven't already. The only way we'll get it fixed is if they think there's a lot of people who are having the problem.

Everybody who is having problems with OTA on the H3 should contact DIRT and tell them about it, if you haven't already. The only way we'll get it fixed is if they think there's a lot of people who are having the problem.

I tried before starting this thread to PM Zack, I didn't see a PM button so I did a conversation, later, he was kind to reply and stated he's no longer an agent.

Where's the PM for an agent ? or another preferred method of contacting DIRT ?

Thanks !

I tried before starting this thread to PM Zack, I didn't see a PM button so I did a conversation, later, he was kind to reply and stated he's no longer an agent.

Where's the PM for an agent ? or another preferred method of contacting DIRT ?

Thanks !

On the forum page if you have the sidebar open any DIRT reps should be listed in red in the Helper's section. I don't see any working right now so keep trying until one is here. I don't do Facebook but I hear they hang out there too.

A phone call to the 800 number to report the problem would probably be more painful but should yield the same result. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)