hopper3 filling my router log

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wimmmy

Original poster
Aug 19, 2019
florida
I just discovered this group, so thought (hoped) someone here may be familiar with this issue.
Apologies for copying the whole thread from the dish community forum.
As noted in last post on that forum, I turned off bridging. What they support guy didn't tell me was that on-demand, netflix, etc would no longer be available on the remote wireless Joeys.

Anyone familiar with this whole scenario?
PS... would the coax wired Joeys eliminate this whole networking chaos and also allow the remote Joey on-demand/netflix?

Thanks,
Jimmy

I just discovered this group, so thought (hoped) someone here may be familiar with this issue.
Apologies for copying the whole thread from the dish community forum.
As noted in last post on that forum, I turned off bridging. What they support guy didn't tell me was that on-demand, netflix, etc would no longer be available on the remote wireless Joeys.

Anyone familiar with this whole scenario?
PS... would the coax wired Joeys eliminate this whole networking chaos and also allow the remote Joey on-demand/netflix?

Thanks,
Jimmy
No. They get their connectivity from the Hopper, although I have heard of people connecting the Joeys via WiFi adapter or Ethernet to their network, must be the same Network the Hopper is one, and that works. I've never done it, but I'm sure someone will come on and correct me if I'm wrong or at least explain it better

Reactions: charlesrshell
I've connected wired joeys using a non internet connected router, connected directly to the hopper, and then the Joey connected to its Wi-Fi signal, turning it into a "wireless" joey essentially. I've also connected joeys using an Ethernet cable running directly off the hopper to the Joey, and I've also used to two old sling adapters(experimentally!) Unfortunately, I didn't turn off bridging in any of those scenarios as far as I can recall. Just saying there are other ways to connect a Joey.

Thought I had posted the original post on the Dish community forum.
Will try again; at least most of the pertinent part. From here:
hopper3 filling my router log - mydish communities - 26391

Again, my apologies for a loooong post from a newbie here.

Just had a hopper 3 and two wireless joeys. Hopper connected to my Juniper router, Dish router connected to hopper. Both ethernet wire.
Dish tech support tell me it is a Comcast issue since they are my internet router. I told them BS. Get the Dish programmers to look at it.
Several strange things occurring on my network. It is rapid enough that I cannot find any other type of messages in my router logs.
Not happy with this way it works. As a ex-network programmer, disturbing...
1. All devices show up on my home network. I was originally told the Dish router created a unique network; so I sort of pictured this: my net 192.168.1.0, with dynamic dhcp at 192.168.1.100-120. hopper would get a e.g. 192.168.1.100-120 address and their router would create something like 192.168.10.a. The hopper would then get a 192.168.10.b and the two joeys would get a 192.168.10.c and d.
Instead they all get addresses in the 192.168.1.100-120 range, but strangely my Juniper router does not issue the addresses and the dish devices do NOT show up in Juniper routers dhcp report.
2. I see continuous messages in my router log like this:
2019-08-17 17:57:02 info DHCP server on interface bgroup0 received DHCPDISCOVER from 88b6ee2f5141 requesting out-of-scope IP address 192.168.1.120/0.0.0.0.
2019-08-17 17:56:57 info DHCP server on interface bgroup0 received DHCPDISCOVER from 88b6ee2f44f6 requesting out-of-scope IP address 192.168.1.119/0.0.0.0.
2019-08-17 17:56:25 info DHCP server on interface bgroup0 received DHCPDISCOVER from 88b6ee2f5141 requesting out-of-scope IP address 192.168.1.120/0.0.0.0.
2019-08-17 17:56:20 info DHCP server on interface bgroup0 received DHCPDISCOVER from 88b6ee2f44f6 requesting out-of-scope IP address 192.168.1.119/0.0.0.0.
Over and over
Also continuous pings like this (note as critical by my router):
2019-08-17 18:00:41 crit ICMP ping id=0! From 192.168.1.120 to 172.217.8.100, proto 1 (zone Trust, int bgroup0). Occurred 1 times.
2019-08-17 18:00:38 crit ICMP ping id=0! From 192.168.1.120 to 172.217.8.100, proto 1 (zone Trust, int bgroup0). Occurred 1 times.
2019-08-17 18:00:36 crit ICMP ping id=0! From 192.168.1.119 to 172.217.3.132, proto 1 (zone Trust, int bgroup0). Occurred 1 times.
2019-08-17 18:00:33 crit ICMP ping id=0! From 192.168.1.119 to 172.217.3.132, proto 1 (zone Trust, int bgroup0). Occurred 1 times.

Reply from other user:
The Wireless Joeys never enter your home network. They will be clients of the Hopper, and all internet traffic will process through the Hopper. For the Joey location, it is through the WAP that Dish supplies as well. It creates a secure 5ghz network that is specific to that Hopper.

My continued posts:
And that is what I was told and how I thought it would work.
The real oddities are these:
1. why the continous DHCPDISCOVER to my router? I believe it is the 2 Joeys issuing them.
2. why the continuous icmp pings, which are (as I recall) normally used to report errors and diagnostics. My router is marking it as critical. Surely not being used for some sort of "keepalive"
3. How are the dish devices getting their IP addresses from my router. My dynamic range is 100-130. The hopper gets the 100 and then (I guess) must get some more and then release them. My router then knows nothing about them and could conceivably re-allocate them to another subsequent request.
4. I can see these devices from my systems and do a port scan; they all have at least port 80 open, hopper has others as do the remote joeys. Why open ports? Who can use them? If Dish has a secret way, this is big security risk.
5. If a truly private network involving hopper, joey-ap, 2 joey's, should be no traffic thru my router. Only hopper should enter my net, maybe the joey-ap; depending on how implemented.
There's some weird stuff going on.
BTW, home router is a Juniper Netscreen SSG5.
Will try a phone call to Dish Monday - maybe get thru to a competent person.

Oh yeah.... there are 3 external IP addresses visible from my home networked pc's:
Cannot ping from my PC, only see via arp.
Can ping from my router, but cannot see via arp.
Trace-route from router does not fully resolve after spitting out 4 intermediate external addresses.
I need to know what this dish stuff is doing - lot of concern over security and performance implications.

Called dish support today. They didn't quite understand why the DHCPDISCOVER and pings. Did say that the pings should only occur between 12 and 4AM (or something like that), not all day long. A puzzle.
To get rid of them, they had me turn off "bridging" in the internet settings, which I did; and now the bad behavior has stopped. Down side, from reading about the "bridging" option is that I cannot do on-demand, netflix, etc from the wireless Joeys. Support didn't inform me of that when telling me to turn it off.
I believe, if this restriction continues, that I will request the wireless Joey's be replaced with coax versions.
That should be so much fun.

My question would be that if it's all working right who cares about the little bit of router traffic?

Thanks for your helpful reply.
But... as I mentioned above, according to the support rep, this should not be occurring, so the Joey devices are deficient in their network behavior. The DHCPDISCOVER and the pings fill my router log so that nothing else is visible in the log; and I use the router for more than just a passive device; e.g. debugging networks.
I was sort of hoping someone on this forum might have as idea of what is happening or maybe, even work for Dish.
And contrary to your suggestion, it is NOT all working right, is it?

Thanks,

Thanks for your helpful reply.
But... as I mentioned above, according to the support rep, this should not be occurring, so the Joey devices are deficient in their network behavior. The DHCPDISCOVER and the pings fill my router log so that nothing else is visible in the log; and I use the router for more than just a passive device; e.g. debugging networks.
I was sort of hoping someone on this forum might have as idea of what is happening or maybe, even work for Dish.
And contrary to your suggestion, it is NOT all working right, is it?

Thanks,

You're welcome.

You really think that the 'support rep' has any idea whether this is normal behavior or not? :p

If the Joey's are providing picture and sound and you're able to access the internet from them then they're most definitely working.

What exactly is not working? And please don't say some entries in a router log, that's not considered 'not working'.

JSheridan is right about one thing... don’t listen to support personnel. They are mostly twits and will tell you what you want to hear.

I do agree that if everything is working for you, and you’re not experiencing any noticeable issue, then not to worry. If you are noticing an error apply that affects your tv viewing or internet usage elsewhere, let us know and that may assist in diagnosing the problem.

JSheridan is right about one thing... don’t listen to support personnel. They are mostly twits and will tell you what you want to hear.

I do agree that if everything is working for you, and you’re not experiencing any noticeable issue, then not to worry. If you are noticing an error apply that affects your tv viewing or internet usage elsewhere, let us know and that may assist in diagnosing the problem.

That sounds like two things. :biggrin

The OP has valid questions.
For whatever reasons,
His wireless joeys are pinging and attempting to connect to his home router.
Even though the joeys are already connected to his WAP/HIC.

For whatever his reason,
He would like explaination.

He came to a forum where,
Experienced,
More knowledgable than the 'phone support'?
People might be able to answer/help him.

Instead,
He get responses,
Some denigrating,
similar to what he would get from
Those 'phone support' persons.

Thanks for playing.

OP,
I don't have a good answer for you,
good luck in your quest for info.

Others,
I have succesfully connected a J2
Via wifi dongle to H3 thru home network/router,
As a trial (see if it would work).
Then returned to coax.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

No. They get their connectivity from the Hopper, although I have heard of people connecting the Joeys via WiFi adapter or Ethernet to their network, must be the same Network the Hopper is one, and that works. I've never done it, but I'm sure someone will come on and correct me if I'm wrong or at least explain it better
I used to have a wireless Joey connected via ethernet to my home network and it worked great. It was in a separate building with no wifi but I did run Ethernet out there for that purpose

Reactions: charlesrshell
The OP has valid questions.
For whatever reasons,
His wireless joeys are pinging and attempting to connect to his home router.
Even though the joeys are already connected to his WAP/HIC.

For whatever his reason,
He would like explaination.

He came to a forum where,
Experienced,
More knowledgable than the 'phone support'?
People might be able to answer/help him.

Instead,
He get responses,
Some denigrating,
similar to what he would get from
Those 'phone support' persons.

Thanks for playing.

OP,
I don't have a good answer for you,
good luck in your quest for info.

Others,
I have succesfully connected a J2
Via wifi dongle to H3 thru home network/router,
As a trial (see if it would work).
Then returned to coax.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

Oh please.... The only 'denigrating' posts in this thread have been from the OP and now you.

If the Joeys are working right then other than the OP obviously, who cares if they're pinging the network? AFAIK pinging does no harm to the connection.

As for asking for answers why this behavior exists I doubt anybody really knows except for maybe the engineers who wrote the code. :)

Last edited: