Hopper3 from Western arc to Eastern arc?

tpinck

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
We have the hopper3 and western arc LNBs. We travel back and forth between the west and east coast, currently on east coast at the Naval Weapons Station Goose Creek, SC. While on the east coast we would like to us the eastern arc sats. I have the 1k.2 dish and ordered the eastern arc LNBs which I received yesterday.

Are there any installation changes other than the LNBs and sat locations? I tried to switch today but was unsuccessful and when switching back lost everything. I was using 50,75,167 for sats 61.5, 72.7 and 77, and 33,134,241 for sats 110, 119 and 129. Currently I have the western arc LNB installed and peek according to an inline sat finder, switch test results in no signal on any sat or tuner.

I talked to a tech by phone and was told that there is no way I can use Eastern Arc sats, I must use Western arc, something about my account and not having a line of sight to the sats. I am now back on the Western Arc sats and everything is working fine.

Oh we had the Hopper3 installed last week, while at Charleston AFB and during the instal the technician made a comment, "Why not use the Eastern Arc Sats?" My answer was because we travel between the east coast and west coast every other year, sometimes 6 months. The reason I thought we could use the eastern arc and ordered the eastern arc lnb.

With your home location being set for the WA you will need to keep those satellites due to NLOS. If both were open you would have been installed with the hybrid LNB that would allow to go between the two (EA/WA). Are you having difficulty getting the WA sat's when in the East Coast?

Reactions: jcanavera
To be clear, the LNBs for the Hopper 3 are Hybrid LNBs. The standard LNBs will not work with the Hopper 3. So, if you ordered and received DPP LNBs you have the wrong one...

Reactions: Tampa8
With your home location being set for the WA you will need to keep those satellites due to NLOS. If both were open you would have been installed with the hybrid LNB that would allow to go between the two (EA/WA). Are you having difficulty getting the WA sat's when in the East Coast?

? Can you explain that more? What prevents him from setting up the correct (Hybrid) LNB and use the the EA when he is traveling?

I bought the EA LNB from Solid Signal and I guess they did not have the Hybrid one for Hopper3, they only had 1 listed and that is what I got. It would be really nice to be able to switch between WA and EA depending on the LOS of the stas.

I bought the EA LNB from Solid Signal and I guess they did not have the Hybrid one for Hopper3, they only had 1 listed and that is what I got. It would be really nice to be able to switch between WA and EA depending on the LOS of the stas.

You should be able to with the correct LNB.

Not sure where I would get the enhanced Hopper3 EA LNB if not from Dish.

The strange thing was even though I did not have the enhanced version with the sat-finder and dish pointed at the proper azimuth, elevation and skew I got no response from the finder, I set its sensitivity to mid scale and it stayed there regardless of where i pointed the dish.

I saw that one but it only has sat 61.5 and 72.7, what about the 77. Don't you need all 3 to get all the HD and local programs?

Only 61.5 and 72.7 on the Hybrid EA LNBF, that is all you need.. I am using my Hybrid EA LNBF from SolidSignal in Mass now.

As in, the need for 77 is VERY unlikely.

OT: Raining now. Thunder. Some lightning.

LOVELY. For this New Orleans boy. Stuck in NOVA. And liking it

Reactions: charlesrshell
I saw that one but it only has sat 61.5 and 72.7, what about the 77. Don't you need all 3 to get all the HD and local programs?

It is not possible to have all three EA satellites with a Hopper 3 at this time. As mentioned very unlikely you would need 77 it has but a few locals and several of the SD versions of the HD channels. DISH even has a two satellite dish even for VIP receivers on the Eastern Arc unless 77 was needed.

Would someone who lives in the western states and is buying their own equipment for a self install be allowed to use the eastern arc for the FLEX pack without locals? The justification would be a much easier view of 61.5 and 72.7.

Reactions: pattykay
Would someone who lives in the western states and is buying their own equipment for a self install be allowed to use the eastern arc for the FLEX pack without locals? The justification would be a much easier view of 61.5 and 72.7.
I don't see why not. When you have installed your equipment just call to activate. Just as long as you are satisfied that you will not get your locals all should be well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)