Hoppers and Cox Supplied/Reccomended Modems issues

mheisen

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
I had a session with a dish technician and was told that there is a known list of routers that do not "play well" with hoppers. I had no problem when I had 722's but now connecting the internet via WIFI for applications and even TV might be a problem. Though I show a strong signal, but it is almost always yellow so disruptions occur constantly. The fix is apparently to get another router and slave it to the first or change modem/routers. Supposedly it has been known for at least 6 months. Don't have time at the moment to type in all the routers on the list, as there are quite a few, but I have it. They said routers are added to the list regularly Just thought I would let the community know.

You mean "a list of routers that 'Hoppers' don't play well with"? All the routers I use (Linksys (Cisco & Belkin), Belkin, Netgear (now junk), Mikrotik, Ubiquiti, Buffalo, Trendnet & many others) play just fine with every device hooked up to them. The problems I had no routers would work. I posted in a forum a while ago of having major issues with the 2 HwS and a Joey going off and doing their own thing outside the rules of networking with massive traffic and multiple repeated IPA requests (the big problem) clogging up the network, stealing IPA from other devices that had their own SIPA's and Resevations, that DISH could not explain. No list then. When the DISH gear was disconnected from the network it all calmed down and returned to normal.

I fixed it by wrangling them in by using IPA Reservations via Static IPA's via MAC addresses and SIPA's on the STB's. Since, all has been well. Matter of fact I haven't thought about it since. But the "kids" had to be put in a perpetual "time out", then they behave. I would imagine the list is of ISP routers that you can not access and set up IPA Reservations.

It's not the routers, although some really don't do as well as others do with this type of misbehavior, it's the way the DISH gear thinks it can act/run the network. So bad software, again.

You mean "a list of routers that 'Hoppers' don't play well with"? All the routers I use (Linksys (Cisco & Belkin), Belkin, Netgear (now junk), Mikrotik, Ubiquiti, Buffalo, Trendnet & many others) play just fine with every device hooked up to them. The problems I had no routers would work. I posted in a forum a while ago of having major issues with the 2 HwS and a Joey going off and doing their own thing outside the rules of networking with massive traffic and multiple repeated IPA requests (the big problem) clogging up the network, stealing IPA from other devices that had their own SIPA's and Resevations, that DISH could not explain. No list then. When the DISH gear was disconnected from the network it all calmed down and returned to normal.

I fixed it by wrangling them in by using IPA Reservations via Static IPA's via MAC addresses and SIPA's on the STB's. Since, all has been well. Matter of fact I haven't thought about it since. But the "kids" had to be put in a perpetual "time out", then they behave. I would imagine the list is of ISP routers that you can not access and set up IPA Reservations.

It's not the routers, although some really don't do as well as others do with this type of misbehavior, it's the way the DISH gear thinks it can act/run the network. So bad software, again.

I do not have the expertise (I'm not a techie) to comment on your experience. I can tell you that the tech called in to dish and was given the following list of routers that were not working with hoppers including the Hopper 3. His handwriting is poor, and some of the 6's could be G's, but this is the list he gave me.There are specific model numbers for each brand that are causing problems. I can not explain the issue, he did not go into detail.
This is the list the best I can make it out (because of his handwriting) of problem routers (not modems he emphasized):
ACTIONTEC:
6T784WNV
NETGEAR:
N900CG4500BD
R7000AC19oo
AC1900
PACE:
S031NV
TECHNICOLOR:
TC8305L
TC8715D
TC8717C
TC8717T

Other than the Netgear routers, those are not your "popular" models. I've never even heard of Technicolor (and I don't need someone posting that Newegg sells them or something). Remember, 75% (or higher) of people go to Walmart, Best Buy, etc to buy their router. Pace, I thought, used to make cable TV set-tops (?). Actiontec is a brand I vaguely recall seeing while researching routers myself but again, by no means a common brand.

Other than the Netgear routers, those are not your "popular" models. I've never even heard of Technicolor (and I don't need someone posting that Newegg sells them or something). Remember, 75% (or higher) of people go to Walmart, Best Buy, etc to buy their router. Pace, I thought, used to make cable TV set-tops (?). Actiontec is a brand I vaguely recall seeing while researching routers myself but again, by no means a common brand.

Could be why the issue is not better known. I post it for what it is worth, Have a good day!

I do not have the expertise (I'm not a techie) to comment on your experience. I can tell you that the tech called in to dish and was given the following list of routers that were not working with hoppers including the Hopper 3. His handwriting is poor, and some of the 6's could be G's, but this is the list he gave me.There are specific model numbers for each brand that are causing problems. I can not explain the issue, he did not go into detail.
This is the list the best I can make it out (because of his handwriting) of problem routers (not modems he emphasized):
ACTIONTEC:
6T784WNV
NETGEAR:
N900CG4500BD
R7000AC19oo
AC1900
PACE:
S031NV
TECHNICOLOR:
TC8305L
TC8715D
TC8717C
TC8717T
The Actiontec router-modem that 6 is a G I am running that and it matches up just fine with my H3,i am running wireless.

The internet is based on TCP/IP you get an IP address via DHCP.
I dont buy it.
Its like saying oh you need a $80 HDMI cable vers a $10 one, its all ones and Zeros.
I have never had any issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts