Horizons 2 with a 85cm dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

chadg2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Maiden Rock, WI
question about Horizons 2 I can blind scan and pickup something very strong and hold good signal strength on a transponder, then i check something else I've found usually a news feed or some reporter and signal is very good but quality is all over the place and I get breakups and weak signals on another transponder. Why are some perfect and strong, and others on same satellite same polarity very week and hard to get. Can they spot beam the signals to certain parts of the us? Thanks, Chad

Chadg2,

Yes, they can spot beam signals. But, most likely they are transmitting the signal in a format that your receiver cannot hold a lock on. The signal strength and quality may be good, but the receiver doesn't know exactly how to process it so it loses lock. That is one possibility. Another possibility is that the signal quality is right at the threshold for your receiver because your dish and motor/LNBF are not perfectly tuned or aligned. The other TPs and channels are coming in OK and strong and holding since they are transmitting with higher power or a different format which overcomes your misalignment. For certain signals you really must be "spot-on" with your alignment. When you get into the DVB-S2 signals and H264 container format it becomes quite dicey for your receiver to lock and hold.

RADAR

I think it's maybe not spot on and maybe I need to try a different lnbf. I have a openbox s9 and have a spitfire elite lnbf ordered to try. Thanks for the help. Chad

I think it's maybe not spot on and maybe I need to try a different lnbf. I have a openbox s9 and have a spitfire elite lnbf ordered to try. Thanks for the help. Chad

Chad,

I wouldn't worry too much about the LNBF. It is extemely rare for one to be bad. You usually know it because it is most often totally dead. I would concentrate my efforts on the dish alignment. I assure you that 90% of the reception problems are dish alignment related. 6% are menu setup errors. 3% are cable/switch issues. The remaining 1% are miscellaneous troubles. I made up those figures just off the top of my head and from past experience.

RADAR

72W next door has some very hot transponders (and usually are news feeds) so you may not be on 74W exactly

TP 12060 V 27695 is up 24/7. Its data but will allow you to lock on the satellite

Thanks Iceberg, I'm using USALS from openbox to align 85cm dish with a 2100 doing the rotating. All other satellites seem to be centered and locked. Maybe dish might be a bit small for the weaker signals. I'll align with the TP you gave me and leave it alone. Thanks, Chad

I have a 76cm dish on a SG2100 and it seems to work well....some weak signals it does not hold but for most part it does :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts