Horrible Install, Plus HR24 On Demand Issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nhmom

Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
NH
I've been with Dish for about 4-5 yrs now, but the new offers from Directv were just too good to pass up. So I signed up online, Whole House DVR, great plan - same as I had with Dish - but $60/month cheaper. No lie, that's a huge savings. I called Dish to see if they'd match to retain me and they offered me $4/month for 6 months.
lol.gif

So the install was scheduled for yesterday between 12-4. My husband took a half day off work to be here for the install. He drove home an hour and waited. At 1 pm the tech called and said he couldn't come because he didn't have the equipment. At that point I was 30 miles away taking the kids to a bday party. I drove 30 miles home to pick my husband up so he could come with us to the fair after the party. All the way home I was talking to Directv about this issue. When I arrived home the tech called back and said he WAS coming. So I turned around and drove 30 miles back to where I was before.

Another hour later he called back again and said he WASN'T coming. Now we're getting a little irate. My husband talked to the supervisor of the install company, I called Directv, and then an hour later they ARE coming again.

I skipped the fair and drove home again.

When the installer arrived he didn't have on his work order that we ordered Whole Home DVR so he didn't have the DECA units. But he said he could get us up and running and then bring the DECA units by this morning first thing. I said that would be great, because I have lots to do tomorrow (today) that I put off to be home because of the installation mess.

I got a phone call at 7 am from the tech telling me he can't find any DECA units, but he knows a tech with a light day who can bring them by "sometime this afternoon." I told him I do have plans, and I can cancel some of them (again), but I have to leave by 4 pm. He asked what time I'd be back, because apparently the tech wanted to come later than that?? (That's not afternoon, that's early evening!)

I have had numerous conversations with Directv at this point, and all they'll say is "We are SO sorry." Um, sorry doesn't really cut it. If it wasn't for the huge price difference I'd have already told them to take their receivers and go away, but I'd really like to make this work.

Is this typical? If so, I'm thinking maybe paying $60 more a month for Dish is worth it ...

On a side note, I made a mistake when ordering and ordered a SD receiver for my kids' room. I thought it could access the dvr, just in sd. Apparently, it can't. You would think it would be a cinch to swap out - the tech had hd receivers on his truck - but nope. Either they had to cancel the entire order and redo, which would not get me the same discounts because I got some online savings, or I have to have it drop shipped.

And it was right. on. his. truck.

Ugh.
mad.gif

On a side note, my HD DVR is the HR24. None of my On Demand seems to work. From reading here it seems that it might need 24 hrs, OR it could be due to how it's hooked up? (Not sure if it's Ethernet connected, will have to ask dh)

Yeah hate to hear this like I always say installs will vary just due to some installer companies do better work than others. What I would do is call Direct again talk to a manager let them know what happen and explain to them that you want to make sure that you get all of your savings. Also that you want the correct equipment as well that you do not want anything else.

Can't say my first attempt at getting ours installed went any better. We couldn't get them to install anything or call us back. So I went with a local retailer who is coming out Monday.

It's always better to find a good local retailer if possible. Some of these installers that both companies send out aren't capable of dropping fries in grease at McDonald's. I have just installed stuff myself over the years so it gets done right.

Darrell S said:
It's always better to find a good local retailer if possible. Some of these installers that both companies send out aren't capable of dropping fries in grease at McDonald's. I have just installed stuff myself over the years so it gets done right.

Agree 100%. Go local!!!

Yeah I always deal with my local retailer we have gotten to know them well do to I refer many people to them. Simply because they do go install work they make sure they have the hardware you want. Plus when they do their Dish installs if they feel like you will not get good signal strengths their up front with you on rather they feel like it would be worth trying to do the install. So I like it that their honest and saves the time as well not trying to get something barley working. It's always better to go through them and they can offer the same promos and if you have issues you know who your dealing with and where they are coming from. Again this will always vary from state to state on how many good retailers you have in your area. Some are better than others but once you find someone good always try to stick with them. :)

OMG! I am having such a problem even getting the company to call me back let alone install it! the guy came - started the install and said he'd be back, couldnt get it to align with the satellite and now nada! I've called DTV numerous times - still nothing! I'm so frustrated!

OMG! I am having such a problem even getting the company to call me back let alone install it! the guy came - started the install and said he'd be back, couldn't get it to align with the satellite and now nada! I've called DTV numerous times - still nothing! I'm so frustrated!

Hmm that stinks! Did the installer give you his contact number where he could be reach. Man hate to see all these installers out there that do this to people it's like a box of chocolate you never know who your going to get if you don't know who your dealing with ahead of time. I hope they get things working for you..:)

Wow!

NHMom, that does sound like a really bad way start to your new D* service. I'm in NH myself, but my story is opposite of yours.....mine went well, but I had a pretty good tech too. My neighbor had D* cancel on him twice, so he said screw it and went with Comcast, but on they other side of the block my other neighbor had a good install like myself.

I don't have the 24, so I can't answer about that, but I can say I have had very little issues with D* in the two years I have been with them.....even with all the snow in winter 08\09.

I think once you get all this worked out, you will be happy. Good Luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts