horrible shadowing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sA :: Shaggy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
5701 S Santa Fe Dr
My mom has just brought to my attention that the shadowing on two(under 3 yr. old) TV's are having horrible shadowing issue. The first (bedroom is a 510 doing from the sat to a dvd/vcr then to TV) the second ( sat (510) to a dvd witch then upgrades the video and audio to component video and optical audio, then to the surround sound system then to the TV). This is leading me to believe that we are getting a bad signal or feed from the sat. Now that we are upgrading to a dish pro quad my questions are. Does anyone know how to fix this or will the dish pro fix this, and what would be the easiest way to upgrade at least one TV to HDTV.

You may want to try direct video cable runs from your satellite receiver to your tv. If you try this, run to your best tv first. When you put something in between your receiver and tv, the signal most always will degrade.

Now, for your other question. Do you currently own a High Definition television? It almost sounds like you do, since you mention your tv has component cables. If you do own one, the easiest way is to get an 811 dish network HD receiver. Please check the Dish Network website for cost. Of course there is always the opportunity to check the for sale items found at this site, or there is ebay, which can be cheaper, but.... well, it is ebay.

I did run cables from the dish directly to the TV. Still very bad shadowing (even worse picture, never really noticed how great component is).

I don't have a HDTV, I do have a jvc I'Art TV. what would i have to do to the sat. in order to setup hd. Also are there any TV's that you might recommend.

You can run composite cables from a High Definition Receiver to a standard definition tv, if you want to. The picture is some better that way. Another thing: When Dish switches over to the MPeg4 compression system, everyone's picture is going to improve.

Now, as for tv's: There are a host of different types of HD Tv's out there. There is tube, rear projection, flat panel plasma, and LCD flat panels. The price goes anywhere from about $800 and up. The price depends on a lot of factors. Type of tv, size of screen, etc.

If you stay with Samsung, Toshiba, and Sony, you should do well. There are cheaper brands, but you get what you pay for. If I were you, I would look at cost, size of unit as it will sit in what room, size of picture for viewing distance. Now, if you get a High Def. Tv, do yourself a favor and make sure it has multiple options for hooking up a HD receiver. Look to the future. HDMI, Component, DVI, are all out there right now. And the industry is moving toward full implementation of HD. Be wise. Ask the person you are intending to buy from lots of questions about the inputs and capability of the set you intend to buy. You definitely want a tv that has High Definition Copy Right Protection capability. Or your picture in the future might be down resolutioned to protect the film maker industry from Pirates.

I know there is a lot to consider, and I hope this helps you more than confuses you.

Please feel free to pm me, if you want to.

Spike said:
When Dish switches over to the MPeg4 compression system, everyone's picture is going to improve.
any clue on when this might happen, also we love our dvr so i would have to get the 921 i think but the price is crazy, any other segestions.

There is no official word on Mpeg4. Months? A Year? There has been no official word as to date, only that it is coming.

You could go with a tivo or a replaytv and an 811. That way you would have your DVR capability, and you would have HD. Many, people go with this option, since it is a lot cheaper.

Now, if you decide on going with Dish Network's HD DVR's, take a look at both options. They have a 921 and a 924. If you like DVR's at both of your tv's the 924 might be the option. It has the ability to provide HD DVR to one location and standard definition DVR to the second location. The 924 is the one that I've begun to save my money towards. It's software is less buggie (from what I'm hearing from others).

I am still puzzled though by your ghosting issues. How many tv's are hooked to the Dish Network system? Of those, what type of cabling differences are there between the tv's with good reception and those that are ghosting? Also, is there a reception signal amplifier involved?

One last thing, the current compression system used by both Dish and Directv has caused some fuzzines, box-iness, etc. That is why everyone is so excited about MPEG-4. MPEG-2 demands channels to be pushed together more and more so that they can add more new channels. MPEG-4 allows for more channels with less compressed visual effects.

(Added later: The satellite system itself is already ready for HD. The LNB and the dish are the same for standard def and HD. All you need are the HDtv, for true HD and the HD Dish Network Receiver)

OK here is the setup of my house (will be changing in about 2 days).
Living room (already listed: sat (510) to a dvd player/burner witch then upgrades the video and audio to component video and optical audio, then to the surround sound system (still component video) then to the TV ( JVC I' Art) )
Bedroom :from the sat (dvr510) to a dvd/vcr then s-video to TV (Sony Trinitron WEGA).
Soon to be added
Bedroom 2: dp301 to an old 20 inch TV.
Both tvs are gosting witch leads me to think it is the sat. do you think after i switch over to the dishpro that would help

Your shadowing issue wont be due to the signal from the dish, there is something else going on there wether its the cables your using or the daisy chaining you have going on with the dvd and vcr. Do you have issues with power outages in your area, did this shadowing start after a recent storm or power outage, what else is on the electrical circuit with those tv's?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)