Horror Stories?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tim Godsil

On Vacation
Original poster
Jan 31, 2007
I'm Bored:) Can someone tell me a horror story about their fta setup? Like the lnb being melted by the sun? Or the box catching on fire?

I'm Bored:)
there's a shock :rolleyes:

Can someone tell me a horror story about their fta setup? Like the lnb being melted by the sun? Or the box catching on fire?

LNB's can't be melted by the sun unless you are on the sun and I think having a box catch on fire is not something funny. Highly unlikely they can catch on fire.

LNB's are made of metal inside.

I'm Bored:) Can someone tell me a horror story about their fta setup? Like the lnb being melted by the sun? Or the box catching on fire?

Hmmmm....... While going inside to change transponders my first FTA dish a 31" Fortec Star on a satellite tripod fell over face first and the LNB holder broke, I had to use super glue to fix the broken bracket. :(

Thats one of the reasons (the other being the wind) my 1.2 Meter dish has 220 LB's of weights holding it down.

Another Horror story: (No specifics) - A FTA channel that I wanted to receive became encrypted :(
Another FTA channel was broadcasted on C band and I could not pick it up with the 1.2 Meter dish.

Horror story: I went out one time to adjust something on my dish, and a whole bunch of wasps forgot to hang out their "do not disturb" sign.

Horror story: I went out one time to adjust something on my dish, and a whole bunch of wasps forgot to hang out their "do not disturb" sign.

HAHA :eek: :)

Reminds me of what on installer said once: that he left his van doors open and went to do an installation and when he came back wasps had built a nest inside the van.

You move in with your brother out of state. Hoping it wouldn't be long. You can't have any dishes installed because he doesn't like cables everywhere. His internet is slower then you would like and it's far from the TV. You can't get a house until you become permanent at a company. You have to get the HD DirecTV dish mounted on the roof without his knowledge because everything is going to HD and you can't see a backhaul. You tell him it will save him money in the long run. All your dishes and TV's are in the garage in pieces except for one PrimeStar dish. You try and hook up that PrimeStar dish on days he's gone for that quick wildfeed. A whole college football season went by and I saw one full day on backhaul and pieces of 3 other Saturday's. That's a horror story! :)

A few months ago I lucked up on a 7.5 foot mesh dish in perfect shape and bought it. Since I live just a few miles from where I got it, I slid the dish face up on back of my truck. My brother and I figured it won't fall out if I drive slow.
We took the back roads (to avoid the highway). About halfway home I decided just to speed up a little more.
That did it. My brother who was following me were blowing his horn. I looked up at my rearview mirror and saw NO dish on my truck. It was faced down on the road, bending the arms of the LNB to smithereen and the dish was bent.
That was $50 down the drain....
I finally got a newer dish for $30. And believe me, it was in one piece when I got it home...

Another Horror story: (No specifics) - A FTA channel that I wanted to receive became encrypted :(
Another FTA channel was broadcasted on C band and I could not pick it up with the 1.2 Meter dish.
Sounds like my (or maybe my wife's!?) horror story:
Last spring I decided to get a FTA receiver for the family to receive one single religious channel. After investing the time/money, the channel switched from ku-band to c-band (actually they have some spanish stuff at the old location, but not what I was looking for). So now I had to start tinkering and putting together equipment to get the c-band side.

Fast forward to the fall, and we wake up with something like 4 ku-band dishes, 3 c-band dishes, 2 analog receivers, 6-8 dvb receivers, and a pci satellite card... and we hardly have time to watch tv at all due to "life changes" that cause us to be overly busy these days!

Those aren't horror stories, here's a horror story:

100+ foot oak tree in my line of site, no way around it. So large, you couldn't completely reach around it. What to do? Get out the chainsaw! Put up a steel rope about 40feet up, which is the highest I could get to. That's for insurance to help persuade it to drop the right way. I had asked the neighbor if I could remove a panel of his wooden fence, so as to drop the tree into his woods, the opposite direction from my house. SURE, I'll help he said. Tied the base of the steel rope to the bottom of a tree 100 feet away with a comealong, and torqued it tight. Neighbor decided that I should also connect a hemp rope from the oak tree, to the bumper of his truck 150 feet away. That was a dumb mistake. I started cutting the tree, and it was going fairly well. Almost through, and the dang neighbor decided to take off in his truck! He pulled the bottom of the tree OFF the stump, and caused it to fall BACKWARDS towards my house! I'm going: Oh sh+t, oh sh+t, I'm going to die, and my house is going to get crushed! I'm backing up real fast, and fall down in the path of the tree. I scuttle back out of the way like a 3 year old. The tree comes down slowly because the steel rope is braking it, and is spinning counter clockwise because of the large branch right below where the steel rope is hooked, and that's the heavy side. It crushes my chainlink fence as the branch digs into the ground and halts the top of the tree on enough angle as it grazes lightly down on my roof causing NO DAMAGE TO MY ROOF!

I'm thanking God that he sometimes takes pity, and protects fools from their own stupidness, in trying to save money by not having a professional remove a tree such as this. By the way, the steel rope pulled so tight from the tension of the tree falling, it girdled the other tree I had it tied to and killed it.

primestar31- I had similar experiences last year after a big snow/ice storm took down many trees and left many more "half" standing. Due to bad planning and ill-thought safety precautions, I found myself more than once in a predicament that looks like the old horror movies when the person and stumbling around falling trying to run away. I also knocked myself silly when trimming a large limb from a tree awhile back in order to accommodate a 10' unimesh .. I believe the neighbor enjoyed watching that one :(

3 Horror stories!

1992 (The Good Old C Band analog days): My soon to be ex-wife cleans out the house and takes the satellite remote. I get it back, Hurricane Andrew hits Miami and blows down the dish. Football season is starting. I call my installer the day I get power back. He's busy (of course). So, I tell him the truth: My soon the be ex-wife left and its all I have left. Unfortunately, my law partner hears this and I have not heard the end of it for 15 years.

2005: Hurricane Wilma uproots the pole where it is broken. The dish is backward. Somehow, the DIRECTV dish stays bolted to the wall.
Real nightmare: what happened to C/KU band analog?

2007: I discover FTA and that I can actually do this! But, my fiance wants to move into a condo. To be continued....

My personal "horror story"

:mad::mad: Well, Got my Pole Installed. Ubolted a J-mount to it and slapped a dish 500 on it. Well I can get 119 and 129 but no 110. I check it out. HUGE maple tree in the way. So about anything west of amc 1 is out! I might be able to get a few in the winter.(have to call these my "winter birds":D. Well it not so bad, since i watch most of my tv in the winter. Last winter there was 1/2 inch of ice on my dish 500! It didn't kill the signal though. :D

Iceberg..

No sleep for you.. moving threads and keeping tabs on these new posts!

why did you mount the pole in the vicinity of a tree? Now you blocked out part of the arc (depending on how big the tree is)

Yea, Tron, and a little birdie tells us you still don't have that thing up, yet! :rolleyes:
Now, that's the horror of the story! :eek:

i installed my 36" dish on my deck (i live in an apartment. i tune my ku band dish to amc4 and galaxy 5 satellites dumb me got the dish too close to the roof edge can't tune my dish pass 97 degrees i wanted to go to 93 degrees to watch dr gene scott.i drilled holes on the deck too to hold down the tripod. now i have to move it over to be able to move my dish where i want to.
c ya
john

i used to own a house and had a 2 year old 10 foot ati dish in the back yard and one day i watch the new owner tear it down piece by piece and it went to the recycle dump had tears in my eyes
a perfectly align dish too ughhhhhhhhhhhh what horror
below is the picture of my c band dish that was tore down :(
john

Attachments

• myolddish.jpg
    myolddish.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Using a Dishnet reviever with a FTA system

new satellite names?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts