Hot b band converter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bilge Rat

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Hello, new member with a question:

Is it normal for a b band converter to get hot? Really hot, at the point be being almost impossible to unscrew the cable with the bare hands.

Thanks

Mike

Thanks for your reply. I haven't experienced this in the past, either.

Anyone who has or had an extremely hot b band converter?

Update:

I disconnected the cable from the converter this morning, but left it connected to the receiver. I found it is still hot this evening. Measured with an infrared thermometer, the channel one converter is 93 degrees. That seems reasonable. However, the channel 2 converter is 177 degrees. I'm afraid of a fire, so I'm taking it off until I find this is normal.

Thanks

Mike

Whoa! That's way too hot! Call Directv and have them send you another one. In fact, tell them to send two! ;)

Need better diagnosis ...
You need to determine if the BBC is getting hot, or the Coax output on the recvr is heating the BBC up ?
Either way, it shouldn't be like that.

The coax at the receiver end was not hot. It didn't get hot until the body of the converter. The output connector from the converter felt much hotter than the body, but I was unable to measure the small surface with my infrared thermometer.

The coax at the receiver end was not hot. It didn't get hot until the body of the converter. The output connector from the converter felt much hotter than the body, but I was unable to measure the small surface with my infrared thermometer.
Ok, so its definitely the BBC ... btw,, you may be missing some HD channels when the BBC is disconnected.

As dumb as this sounds... might want to check the tightness of the connectors at both ends of the cable connected to the bbc.

What you might also can do is to switch B-Band Converters,put the B-Band Converter on Video 1 to Video 2 & vice versa. Obviously stay & observe if the B-Band converter gets hot again(don't leave it unattended),even if you switched the outputs. This way you'll definitely know whether it's the B-Band converter or the receiver. I learned the hard way from touching a terminator I put on a cable(actually flat cable in window) running from my receiver while the receiver was still plugged in. Pretty hot to touch obviously. Maybe the B-Band converter is getting too much "juice" from the receiver & this is the only sure way to find out.

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. After work today, I'll measure the voltage on both ports. If they are the same, I'll hook up a different converter. If port 2 is putting out more voltage than port 1, I'll call Directv.

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. After work today, I'll measure the voltage on both ports. If they are the same, I'll hook up a different converter. If port 2 is putting out more voltage than port 1, I'll call Directv.
Just change the BBC, your making a lot more out of this than needs to be.

Just change the BBC, your making a lot more out of this than needs to be.
It doesn't hurt to rule out the receiver putting out too much voltage while waiting for new B-Band converters. It's not over thinking(although to be sure,I don't know what acceptable output for a receiver is),at he'll know it's not the receiver's fault & be paranoid that it could happen again.

Update:

I tested the voltage on both ports of the receiver - both put out 18.9 volts. Put on a different b band converter and after about 2 hours everything is good.

Thanks for everyone's input. :hatsoff

Reactions: Jimbo
Status
Please reply by conversation.