House prewired

G

Original poster
My house was prewired for cable when built. Now, I am wanting to get Dish, but also want to keep cable for local channels. I will be using Dish in at least 2, maybe 3 rooms. Is it possible to use a diplexer (is that the right term?) outside the house and feed both cable and Dish signals to all the rooms? My house is built on a concrete slab, so no crawlspace below and have had much trouble in the past getting anything down from the attic such as telephone, cable on different wall, etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I know of no diplexing solution available on the market.

On a single story structure, any professional installer should be able to get cables down from an attic without too much difficulty. Multi-stories are a bit more "exciting" but not usually impossible.

Exciting ain't the half of it when you have an 85 year old home with lath and plaster walls, steel support beams and a brick exterior!

I also know of no diplexing solution, either to carry both cable and satellite, or to carry cable and antenna. (I wanted to carry a house distribution signal over my cable internet signal on the one cable I managed to get between attic and basement some years ago when I was more limber. No luck.)

cpa4u said:
My house was prewired for cable when built. Now, I am wanting to get Dish, but also want to keep cable for local channels. I will be using Dish in at least 2, maybe 3 rooms. Is it possible to use a diplexer (is that the right term?) outside the house and feed both cable and Dish signals to all the rooms? My house is built on a concrete slab, so no crawlspace below and have had much trouble in the past getting anything down from the attic such as telephone, cable on different wall, etc.

I know people use diplexers to combine SAT & TV OTA feeds. If signal thru' cable feed and OTA feed for basic channels are same, diplexer should work for you. But do you know if your house is prewired with RG6 'cause it is highly recommended for DISHPRO installations.

Sounds like I might be out of luck on my theory. I just know that the cable guys (3 different ones) and a buddy of mine really into home theater stuff have told me that for whatever reason my house does not lend itself to having things "dropped" from the attic.

The local dish retailer wasn't much help either. I actually knew more about the promotions, products and programming than either of the sales people there. If I order directly from the dishnetwork webpage and choose professional installation, I'm afraid they will sub-contract it to these guys!!

cpa4u said:

There are many Diplexers that will work in your situation, I use them daily with Dish network systems for backfeeds, as well as mixing ant/Sat signals. You can buy them at RS, I think even Walmart carries them. They are as easy as hooking up a splitter, only you use it backwards to mix the signals and use another one to break them back out.

Good luck, and post back if you need help hooking them up.

Stoosh

diplesers

ok they do great and I am surprise some installers here don't know about it but they will stop working when you use the new digital cable and digital satellite.

diplexers will not work with the cable molden and satellite.

Here's the deal: Diplexers will work with "basic, analog" cable and satellite. End of story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts