Houston area Dish1000

brg606

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Anybody out there in the Houston area with a Dish100 installed? I live about 35 miles north of Houston and was wondering about the signal strengths on the 3 satellites 110, 119, & 129. I am upgrading my tv and system this summer and I am a current Dish Network subscriber and still deciding whether to stay with Dish or go to TimeWarner Cable. From everything that i've read, it looks like I will have to sacrifice signal strenght to get hd programming with dish (unless something is done about 129).

btw, We are the 4th largest city is America, where's our hd locals?

I had a 1000 install yesterday, the guy didn't have a clue how to do it, 6 hours later, he finally got it. 98 percent of 119, 96 percent on 110 and 84 percent on 129 and we are in central missouri.

I finally printed some things off this form and gave to him on the setup and he figured it out.

I'm in Austin, and get acceptable signals off 129. I also have a 61.5 dish for CBS-E, so the receiver will decide to use 61.5 sometimes.

I figured that I'd let the Texas guys respond first. In central Oklahoma I get ~80 on 129/TP11. No rain fade or dropouts yet.

seems to be better reception in the middle of the continental us. what i don't understand is why california gets such a bad signal, the satellite is closest to them, right?

brg606 said:
seems to be better reception in the middle of the continental us. what i don't understand is why california gets such a bad signal, the satellite is closest to them, right?

I agree, people in the middle continental US get better signals. People in California and Pacific Northwest get lower signals because E5 was not designed for 129.

brg606 said:
what i don't understand is why california gets such a bad signal, the satellite is closest to them, right?

The ground out there never stay's still long enough to acquire a stable signal..:D :D~
~

We got our Dish 1000 installed last weekend. Picture has been good with no blackouts. A couple of times the picture and sound froze for a fraction of second. We live on the northwest side of Houston. Just went upstairs and got the following readings.

110 - 85%
119 - 109%
129 - 76%

We didn't have any bad weather this week so I do not know how the weather will affect it.

thanks dk, how's the hi def lookin? i'm up here on hwy 1488 between the woodlands and conroe. i've heard some people claim that the satellite 129 will be stronger after that new satellite is up and rumming. i just don't want to have rain fade every time it rains.

mdonnelly said:
I figured that I'd let the Texas guys respond first. In central Oklahoma I get ~80 on 129/TP11. No rain fade or dropouts yet.
Well, we finally had the first significant rain here in OKC for months, and I did have some rain fade while watching Monsters off the 129 satellite on the Dish 1000. The signals went from ~70 down to about ~55 on that TP. I can live with that for a while, to avoid having two dishes on the house, but I'm hoping that a replacement for 129 is put up in the next few months.

110 - 86%
119 - 105%
129 - 54%

I live near Houston but not anywhere near trees blocking the satellite. Is the 129 transponder signal strength something of a concern?

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)