Houston Locals Need 2nd Dish?

MuchMusicFan

Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
My sincere apologies because I'm sure this has been covered before, but I've done a cursory search and haven't been able to find anything specific and I'm pressed for time. Do you currently need 2 dishes to get all the Houston locals or will a single DISH 500 do?

A dish 1000 will get you ALL of your Houston locals. You can also get them for at 148 sat too. THe main locals Nbc, Cbs,Abc,Fox,Upn,Wb, are on the Dish500 and the religious , Mexican and channel 55 the tube are on the 129 and also mirrored at the 148 sat. If what I read about the Echostar 10 and all of it's spotbeams, they will all be available on the Dish500 dish soon, maybe by next month. The echostar 10 will be used to get all of the analog locals on one dish 500 since the echostar 10 has 49 spotbeams. But if you want the Houston locals on one dish and you also need hd programming , a dish 1000 will accomplish both today.

mike d, regarding this statement "If what I read about the Echostar 10 and all of it's spotbeams, they will all be available on the Dish500 dish soon, maybe by next month."

does this mean that if we wait a couple months to go with hd that we will not need a dish 1000? or are there going to be certain channels that will always be on satellite 129 that we will still need the dish 1000 to receive? thanks.

The dish 1000 will be used for hd and for mpeg 4 locals including Houston hd locals that should be put on the 129 sat in this quarter that started April 1st. You will need the 129 sat for the Voom channels as well, all 15 of them. I believe any future mpeg 4 hd channels will go to the 129 sat as well. IF you are in the northeast part of the country , Florida , or any part of the southern part of Texas from Victoria down, a dish 1000 would not work for your because of the 129 sat footprint and you would need a Dish 500 and a side satellite dish to 61.5.

You don't have to wait for hd IF you want hd NOW , you will get the dish 1000 for all of your satellite hd viewing and all your mpeg4 locals. One note is that you can only get the hd locals free if you sub to the analog locals .

The only thing that will happen in a month is that all the analog locals will go to the main 110 sat ( echostar 10 with 49 spotbeams) which you will get with the Dish 1000 or a Dish 500 satellite dish. If you wanted just analog viewing and no hd then a dish 500 will do you just fine for all your locals in sd by next month.

The main thing is that if you get the dish 1000 now you will be set for both hd , hd locals and your sd locals and it will all be on one dish. I would recommend the dish 1000 if I was you and you will be set for anything that comes up now or in the future.

Last edited:
On or around March 28th, I added a VIP622 receiver to my account (I'm in Houston). I have two Dish 500 dishes on my roof. When I activated, the tech support guy said I needed the Dish 1000 to get all of my locals. He put me on hold and came back to tell me that I only needed to wait a couple of days (April 1 to be exact) to get all of my locals without upgrading to the Dish 1000. So, we decided not to upgrade me to the Dish 1000.

• Was that a bad move?
  • Should I have all of my locals over sat now that we're in April?
  • When HD locals are available in Houston over sat, do I have everything I need to get them currently without upgrading to Dish 1000?

Thanks!

IF you want Hd programming in mpeg4, which all new hd will be mpeg4 and if you want all 15 Voom channels, and any mpeg 4 hd locals for Houston, You will need a Dish 1000. IF you have a 622 you will need a Dish 1000 and they should have installed one for you when they installed the 622 receiver. It is supposed to be included in the $299.00 install price. Call back and talk to someone in a supervisor capacity and see if they can rectify that for you and do not let them charge you to install the dish 1000.

You need the dish 1000 for your situation.

Okay, from posts I've been reading on other threads (including those by Mike D.) despite earlier reports on this forum, there is no consolidation of all the Houston locals to the Dish 500 because of Echo X, but all you need is one dish (Dish 1000) to get all of them. Right?

I am 60 miles south of Houston and signed up for DISH and the HD channels about 5 months ago. They installed two 500 dishes. I called this past Friday to upgrade to the 611 and the tech told me I would not need any other dishes, and that the two I have are fine for the upgrade. I currently get the locals on 8370 - 8378.

When I upgraded just before April 1, I was told that all Houston locals would become available with the two dishes I have (I don't have the Dish 1000) on April 1. I was asked if I wanted to keep the two dishes I have and receive all Houston locals on Apr. 1 or upgrade to the Dish 1000. Since the install of the Dish 1000 would have been scheduled for after Apr. 1 anyway, I chose not to mess with anything. Another influence on my decision is that I am happy with my receiption and I didn't want to add another variable (the Dish 1000 install) to the equation.

Having said this, I have not followed up. I don't know if I get ALL of my Houston locals with my current set up. Frankly, I couldn't care less. I don't need all of the Spanish channels and I have all of the major networks both OTA and through E*.

I will re-evaluate the situation later this quarter when Houston HD locals are available via E*. I absolutely want to make sure I get all HD locals that become available. Currently, I only subscribe to the locals for the guide data anyway.

Last edited:
Houston Locals are on the following satellites as of today:

At 119° transponder 5 and 7 spot beam 10 (Dish 500 or Dish 1000)

8370 KTRK TV 13 (ABC)
8371 KHOU TV 11 (CBS)
8372 KPRC TV 2 (NBC)
8373 KRIV TV 26 (Fox)
8374 KHWB TV 39 (WB to be CW)
8375 KTXH TV 20 (UPN to be MNTV)
8376 KUHT TV 8 (PBS)
8377 KNWS TV 51 (Ind)
8378 KXLN TV 45 (Univision)

At 148° tp 4 (requires second dish) and 129° tp 14 and 15 (Dish 1000 or second dish)

8379 KTMD TV 47 (Telemundo)
8380 KFTH TV 67 (TeleFutura)
8381 KAZH TV 57 (Azteca)
8382 KTBU TV 55 (Ind)
8383 KLTJ TV 22 (Daystar)
8384 KZJL TV 61 (Spanish Ind)

All the channels should be moved to 119° or 110° within the next month or so.

See ya
Tony

Last edited:
skyeblues said:
I am 60 miles south of Houston and signed up for DISH and the HD channels about 5 months ago. They installed two 500 dishes. I called this past Friday to upgrade to the 611 and the tech told me I would not need any other dishes, and that the two I have are fine for the upgrade. I currently get the locals on 8370 - 8378.

That's pretty interesting... I also signed up about 5 months ago and they brought me a Dish 1000 and the 942 receiver. I'm about 20 miles south of Houston. I get my locals on 8370-8378 plus the OTA locals.

You have the same package I do, and id subscribe around the same time. Due to my distance the OTA from Houston are not that great, and w/o a good antenna for that I am fine w/the locals thru the receiver. I have the 811, and can see from my post on this thread I accidentally stated I was upgrading to 611 when I meant 622. The reception on the 2 satellites has been fine, and it seem there would be a little more flexiblity in tweeking the dish position to pick up the satellites w/2 dishes, so hopefully this will work out ok and they come when they are supposed to to install the new receiver. I am very anxious to get the DVR.

Does anyone know for sure about what spotbeam and transponder on the Echostar 10 sat for Houston locals? I 've seen it will be on spotbeam 10 but also I 've seen it will be on transponder 16. I am confused anyone know for sure?:confused:

I have the receiver bunnyville. The install is set for Sunday. After all is said and done, I could probably do it myself and just activate as I am already getting the 110 signal loud and clear which is where it looks like the Houston locals will reside , but still want the Dishman to look things over and get his opinion since the installation is not supposed to cost me anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)