How about any new local markets??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
NBC KPLC Channel 7 in Lake Charles, LA uplink is being tested now. If all goes well, it should be up by late March 2010.

HD or SD?

Shouldn't be any problem squeezing that one on 129 Spotbeam 42(covers LKC DMA too) with the Lafayette, LA locals since they only have 3 channels in Lafayette anyways. They could also fit the other Lake Charles station, KVHP FOX 29, with no issues.

HD or SD?

Shouldn't be any problem squeezing that one on 129 Spotbeam 42(covers LKC DMA too) with the Lafayette, LA locals since they only have 3 channels in Lafayette anyways. They could also fit the other Lake Charles station, KVHP FOX 29, with no issues.

I do not know if it will be SD or HD. I will try to find out. I have been in contact with the engineers on the uplink here in Lake Charles.

HD or SD?

I sure hope that once Lake Charles is uplinked and turned on , that we can get guide data for ota channels. I am in Beaumont, Tx and we get the ota channels for Fox 29 and Cw . I would love to get guide data for them.

I saw where Shreveport will go HD in March. Can anyone tell me when Monroe, La. Will be added? I called the engineer at the station, he didnt know anything. Thanks for any reply.

I, too, would love for the Monroe / El Dorado stations to become available. It's a much higher priority for me than any of the national channels not yet available. Sounds like a bad sign if the engineer isn't aware of any efforts to add the station. Which station did you talk to?

NBC KPLC Channel 7 in Lake Charles, LA uplink is being tested now. If all goes well, it should be up by late March 2010.
That's good to know that is one of the DMA's with no locals on satellite. They do not have all 6 local networks in that DMA and the FCC has not approved them to pull from another DMA yet. Please let me know if you hear anymore on Lake Charles locals.

I believe that the two stations in the Parkersburg, WV DMA would be NBC (WTAP) and its subchannel that is FOX.

I suspect that the reason why Dish Network required all customers in their DMA's pay for locals is due to these FCC requirements to help pay to make it happen and to have better negotiation ploys with the network stations (or the networks are starting to require it).

I do not know if it will be SD or HD. I will try to find out. I have been in contact with the engineers on the uplink here in Lake Charles.

I just found out that KPLC Channel 7 Lake Charles, LA will be HD programming.
Hopefully this will happen by the end of March 2010. The folks at KPLC and Echostar are working to get this done so that the area will finally have a choice in programming. The cable company here has had a complete monopoly over the situation. Only cable was able to give the area all the networks since the digital changeover because the OTA antenna method was simply not reliable. Finally the residents of Southwest Louisiana can have a choice.

I sure hope that once Lake Charles is uplinked and turned on , that we can get guide data for ota channels. I am in Beaumont, Tx and we get the ota channels for Fox 29 and Cw . I would love to get guide data for them.

If the channels are uplinked you'll get the guide data.

I just found out that KPLC Channel 7 Lake Charles, LA will be HD programming.
Hopefully this will happen by the end of March 2010. The folks at KPLC and Echostar are working to get this done so that the area will finally have a choice in programming. The cable company here has had a complete monopoly over the situation. Only cable was able to give the area all the networks since the digital changeover because the OTA antenna method was simply not reliable. Finally the residents of Southwest Louisiana can have a choice.

Yep, DishNetwork will be able to offer all of the local channels in Lake Charles... NBC, FOX, and PBS. ;) CBS and ABC will be missing of course since they do not have those channels in the Lake Charles DMA.

And BTW, OTA is reliable in Lake Charles. ABC, CBS, and FOX out of Lafayette come in great, combined with the NBC, FOX, and PBS from Lake Charles. I've setup a few antennas with no issues there. And from what I hear 2 HD stations from Beaumont also pick up fine off the back side of the antenna, I think it was NBC and ABC. More networks than I have to pick from here.

Yep, DishNetwork will be able to offer all of the local channels in Lake Charles... NBC, FOX, and PBS. ;) CBS and ABC will be missing of course since they do not have those channels in the Lake Charles DMA.

And BTW, OTA is reliable in Lake Charles. ABC, CBS, and FOX out of Lafayette come in great, combined with the NBC, FOX, and PBS from Lake Charles. I've setup a few antennas with no issues there. And from what I hear 2 HD stations from Beaumont also pick up fine off the back side of the antenna, I think it was NBC and ABC. More networks than I have to pick from here.

OTA in Lake Charles:
I suppose there are some areas where OTA in LC is reliable, but for the most part it is NOT reliable. I say this because we have tried with various antennas with unreliable results. Every local satellite company has left the area because they could not offer locals via the bird or an antenna. Even the local antenna electronic store admits that the antenna method in LC is unreliable. It will go from 90% signal strength for KPLC down to 0 randomly.

CBS ABC: according to management at KPLC, once KPLC is uplinked, Dish will be allowed to give the area CBS and ABC. Just like the cable company does. I assume those networks would be from Beaumont and Lafayette.
I'm not saying that is a fact, I'm just saying that is what they are saying.

Last edited:
Since Lake Charles is only 65 miles from Beaumont and they were sharing a common Fox affiliate in the past, I assume that the Abc & Cbs would come from Beaumont,Tx.

OTA in Lake Charles:
I suppose there are some areas where OTA in LC is reliable, but for the most part it is NOT reliable. I say this because we have tried with various antennas with unreliable results. Every local satellite company has left the area because they could not offer locals via the bird or an antenna. Even the local antenna electronic store admits that the antenna method in LC is unreliable. It will go from 90% signal strength for KPLC down to 0 randomly.

CBS ABC: according to management at KPLC, once KPLC is uplinked, Dish will be allowed to give the area CBS and ABC. Just like the cable company does. I assume those networks would be from Beaumont and Lafayette.

I've setup 2 CM4228's about 20 foot in the air...to shoot above the roof line. One is even on the west side of town by Nelson Rd. KPLC comes in blowing the doors down... you can pick that one up with a cheap set of rabbit ears indoors. The PBS station also works indoors with rabbit ears. KATC is also another very hot one. KADN comes in pretty decently but really isn't needed since KVHP is also there. KLFY can be a bit tricky since it is VHF, but it can be done with ease.

In the few cases I've helped with in Lake Charles, OTA was relatively easy compared to some I've done in other areas and you even get duplicate networks to boot (backups are always great).

On the CBS and ABC thing, I believe they are talking about the clause in the new bill that doesn't seem to be going that well.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...fails-pass-satellite-extension-extension.html

OTA in Lake Charles:

You might try a FM Trap inline close to your antenna. I have a big antenna in my attic and my local CBS was doing the same thing and I put the FM Trap in and it stopped doing it. Something about when the station goes all digital FM frequencies start interferring.

You might try a FM Trap inline close to your antenna. I have a big antenna in my attic and my local CBS was doing the same thing and I put the FM Trap in and it stopped doing it. Something about when the station goes all digital FM frequencies start interferring.

I'd say there are some issues if he can't get KPLC in Lake Charles. As KPLC is blasting out on VHF 7, 62kw, 451 meters, a power house for VHF 7... I remember picking it up with cheap rabbit ears when they were on their pre-transition rig at a much lower power. I bet you could get it with a paper clip now.

DT1323822.jpg

My solution for Monroe la HD was to move to baton rouge, then put an antenna in the attic. 722 gets all my Monroe channels and the sat gives me baton rouge. Works out great with a 722k. I can't believe this many people from Monroe are on here. Small world.

I've setup 2 CM4228's about 20 foot in the air...to shoot above the roof line. One is even on the west side of town by Nelson Rd. KPLC comes in blowing the doors down... you can pick that one up with a cheap set of rabbit ears indoors. The PBS station also works indoors with rabbit ears. KATC is also another very hot one. KADN comes in pretty decently but really isn't needed since KVHP is also there. KLFY can be a bit tricky since it is VHF, but it can be done with ease.

In the few cases I've helped with in Lake Charles, OTA was relatively easy compared to some I've done in other areas and you even get duplicate networks to boot (backups are always great).

On the CBS and ABC thing, I believe they are talking about the clause in the new bill that doesn't seem to be going that well.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...fails-pass-satellite-extension-extension.html

It figures that jim bunning would be the sole caviot in impeding this progress, and it's not a surprise he's with the republican party. They have been doing alot of blocking lately and it's pissing me off AND hurting the working class. The
same prick who's wants to stop unemployment benefits for people who CAN'T
find work is also the same prick who doesn't want people to have local channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)