How best to grille salmon ??

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
Hi all! I'm doing a cookout this evening that includes some salmon along with the steaks and shrimp, kind of a poor man's "surf-n-turf". My gas grille has ceramic-coated steel grates. I also have a metal plate with holes in it that I use on the grille sometimes for "delicate" stuff. I know from experience that if I put that salmon directly on the grate, even in a less-heated corner, that I will lose a considerable amount of it into the fire. And if I use that plate, it will stick significantly even if I Pam it in advance, thus effectively shredding the fillets. The other alternative I can think of is aluminum foil.

I want to minimize the loss, something I've always had a problem with when cooking fish, and something I apparently don't do often enough! Any suggestions ??

PS - I didn't look closely but I think this piece is just the fillet, no skin. I know how to use the skin to advantage to solve my problem...!

Grill the salmon on a cedar plank, theres nothing like it.

Soak the plank for an hour (or more) in salt water.

Baste the salmon filet with a thin layer of melted butter and sprinkle with lemon pepper and fresh chives.

Put the plank on the grill, melt some butter on the plank. Put the salmon on top of the plank and grill for about 20 min more or less untill the fish starts flaking like its done. No need to flip...if the filet has skin on one side, put the skin side on the wood.

You can put some lemon slices on top of the salmon while its cooking for a colorful little show.

a nicely chilled oaky chardonnay will complement the fish nicely.

As an alternative, I often grill the salmon skin on and skin down directly on the grill for the first half. When I turn it, I slide a large spatula between the skin and the meat. I then turn the salmon, discard the skin and continue cooking.

Letting it cook with the skin allows the fats to work into the meat, but it also forms a bit of a crust on the top, so that when I turn it, the fillet remains intact.

I then pour some of the remaining marinade over it, enough to let some spill over and steam the fillet. Finally, I turn it a second time for about 30 seconds to allow some grill marks on the skin side.

I generally go 5-7 minutes/side which allows some pink in the middle, but YMMV.

I make a tray out of heavy duty aluminum foil about 1/2" high and large enough for your filets.

I then drizzle the top with lemon juice and salt & pepper to your taste.

Cook until done, do not flip.

When ready to serve use a spatula between the skin and flesh...the skin will stick to the foil and the meat will come off whole with no waste.

Throw away the foil and you're done...no cleanup!

Tks, guys! I like the cedar plank idea. Where can I get one? (I.e., is this available where grilling supplies are sold?) I assume it can be reused a couple of times unless you forget to take it off the grille before it dries out! I might have some cedar shingles available but I'm quite sure they should not be used around food!

I know about grilling skin down and using the skin as the cooking surface, but these 2 fillets did not have the skin.

We ended up putting a pan on the grille with butter, lemon, and seasonings. Worked fine, but lacked the "flame/smoke" effect, i.e., no different than if I had done it in the oven.

The meal was a complete gluttony! And the only thing that was eaten completely was the salmon! (Good leftovers for the coming weekend...!)

Tks again for weighing-in.

Salmon is one of the heartier fish steaks out there. It is a lot more durable on the grill than other fragile fishes. With that said, I echo what others say. Don't flip until it's done. If you left fish on the grill, you are flipping too soon or it wasn't marinated or oiled properly. When a fish is done, it naturally lifts up from the grill slightly.

My rule of thumb for doing Salmon directly on the grill is usually about 8-10 minutes over direct-medium heat or 10-12 over indirect high heat. This is for medium rare.

Tks, guys! I like the cedar plank idea. Where can I get one? (I.e., is this available where grilling supplies are sold?) I assume it can be reused a couple of times unless you forget to take it off the grille before it dries out! I might have some cedar shingles available but I'm quite sure they should not be used around food!

I know about grilling skin down and using the skin as the cooking surface, but these 2 fillets did not have the skin.

We ended up putting a pan on the grille with butter, lemon, and seasonings. Worked fine, but lacked the "flame/smoke" effect, i.e., no different than if I had done it in the oven.

The meal was a complete gluttony! And the only thing that was eaten completely was the salmon! (Good leftovers for the coming weekend...!)

Tks again for weighing-in.

If not in your grocery store, sometimes william-sonoma has them. Or just order them on-line. They aren't too expensive.

Amazon.com: cedar planks

You can go to your local lumber place and ask for a cedar plank...but make sure its untreated pure cedar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)