How can I be a "new customer?"

popechild

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Could really use some expertise here...

I want to sign up for dish with an HD package but I'm having trouble. I was a customer previously until about 8 months ago. They said i qualify for a "former customer" promotion, which is the same as a new customer but you have to sign a 2-yr agreement. I don't want to sign a contract right now because I'm moving across the country in 4 months and have no idea if the apartment I move to will have coverage. My other option is to purchase equipment myself -- not good, especially considering the move in 4 months again.

Can anyone tell me how/if I can qualify as a "new customer" again - say using my wife's name and SSN? Our phone number has changed, and we could use her name/SSN/CC, but we'd be at the same address and her last name is the same as mine. (Could use her maiden name, but it's not on her CC's).

Can someone please give me any pointers on how Dish determines if you're a "new" customer?

Also (related), since I've now been a customer before, say a few years down the road I tried to sign up again with my name and a new CC, in a different state, etc., but it was still my name and SSN - is that always going to throw a flag for them, or will I ever be able to be a new customer again with my name? If my "satellite virginity" is lost forever, maybe I'm better off not even using my wife's name/SSN until we move, so that we don't "waste" her eligibility on 4 short months of service?

Thanks...

I don't know about the options of getting a new customer promo. I will say that I've always considered satellite as sort of a long-term commitment, not withstanding any contract. Four months is a very short time if you don't know about your ability to have satellite service after those months.

Use your wife's name and add Apt. # 2 to your address. Use the new phone #

ken said:
Use your wife's name and add Apt. # 2 to your address. Use the new phone #

Interesting idea - is this just an idea, or will this definitely work? Are there specific criteria on what they consider "new"? I read somewhere that if 2 of 3 out of name/address/phone are different, they consider you new. Does adding the Apt # to the address definitely cause it to register as a different address?

So if you're moving in 4 months, why waste the wife's SSN and name if you're going to break the contract? I guess if you get the "dish mover" nonsense it'll be ok, but why not just use cable for the next 4 months, and start up as a new dish customer after you move and you know you're able to get a signal...

Purogamer said:
So if you're moving in 4 months, why waste the wife's SSN and name if you're going to break the contract? I guess if you get the "dish mover" nonsense it'll be ok, but why not just use cable for the next 4 months, and start up as a new dish customer after you move and you know you're able to get a signal...

This option makes the most sense. Why bother if you are only going to be there for 4 months. Get cable for the 4 months then get Dish once you move.

I guess this is what I'll do. The reason it seemed like an attractive option is because I'm mainly wanting ESPN gameplan, and I'm in grad school, so cost is a big issue. My cable (comcast) requires you to get digital cable at $61 a month to get Gameplan, plus another $10 if I want any HD channels. Even for 4 months, that's about $250.

Going month to month with Dish (especially if I got the first 6 months of HD free) would put it at more like $150. $100 is more than it sounds like when you've got no job and big tuition bills...

I think in the long run though, it sounds like "saving" my wife's status as a new customer will be the better choice...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)