How can I get a free ota tuner module?

dsclark

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
Mt old direct pr had a ota tuner so I could pick up a few stations in HD that Direct only sat delivered in poor SD.
I just got a DISH 722 yesterday and it doesn't have ota. WHen I talked to the people at DISH I repeatedly asked if i signed with them, would the box have a tuner that I could pick up local feeds from my antenna. I told them the reason and was told that it would. When I got a call from DISH asking to sign up, I presented this question again and was assurred yes, the box would have a antenna tuner in it.
The DISH contractor came yesterday and I swear, I felt like a broken record. I asked him the same question and he said he guess it would. He set it up, after signing the paperwork, I looked at the box and... no input for a #&$ antenna! He called someone and was told that for those couple of channels that I want to get in HD off my antenna, they are available off DISH sat in "digital quality" (ok, I swore when I heard that meaningless phrase).
it looks like DISH has a add on module for ota- is it possible to get one for free , or will this be the first lie DISH gives me and make me pay ?

Is this a new install? If so and you are within 72hrs of activation. Call & tell them your canceling unless they send you an ota module. There is no cancel fees within the 72hr time frame. If this is a new install & within the time frame. The leverage is in your favor.

Mt old direct pr had a ota tuner so I could pick up a few stations in HD that Direct only sat delivered in poor SD.
I just got a DISH 722 yesterday and it doesn't have ota. WHen I talked to the people at DISH I repeatedly asked if i signed with them, would the box have a tuner that I could pick up local feeds from my antenna. I told them the reason and was told that it would. When I got a call from DISH asking to sign up, I presented this question again and was assurred yes, the box would have a antenna tuner in it.
The DISH contractor came yesterday and I swear, I felt like a broken record. I asked him the same question and he said he guess it would. He set it up, after signing the paperwork, I looked at the box and... no input for a #&$ antenna! He called someone and was told that for those couple of channels that I want to get in HD off my antenna, they are available off DISH sat in "digital quality" (ok, I swore when I heard that meaningless phrase).
it looks like DISH has a add on module for ota- is it possible to get one for free , or will this be the first lie DISH gives me and make me pay ?

The ViP722 HAS an OTA tuner built in. The ViP722K does not. The K model has a slot for a 2 OTA tuner module to be inserted. I think they charge $30 for it.

Which model do you have? If it's the regular ViP722, perhaps we can walk thru what the problem is. But yes, it sounds like you have the K model, since you don't see an OTA antenna input. They may have installed it because they were out of regular ViP722 DVRs.

You can call Dish and complain and maybe they will send you one gratis. Or you can figure, "Hey, for 30 bucks I end up with 2 OTA tuners instead of just one." Or you can call, complain, and offer to split the difference with them.

For $30.00 you will have the potential to record 4 shows at a time. A bargain in my book if they won't comp you one!

What if you have "moved" and the locals in your actual area are not the same as the locals on the dish? Will there be a problem as far as dish is concerned or will they not even know. Also, can you run a cable tv feed thru the OTA tuner as well?

What if you have "moved" and the locals in your actual area are not the same as the locals on the dish? Will there be a problem as far as dish is concerned or will they not even know. Also, can you run a cable tv feed thru the OTA tuner as well?

There is no cable feed into the DVR, it's strictly for OTA.

The OTA locals are not tied to the locals provided via satellite based on your "service area." The OTA channels that load into the guide are based on the OTA signals identified by the receiver when it scans for local channels. E* will be unaware and couldn't care less anyway. If you need a 722K OTA module shipped, just be sure they ship to your billing address and not your "service address."

Is this a new install? If so and you are within 72hrs of activation. Call & tell them your canceling unless they send you an ota module. There is no cancel fees within the 72hr time frame. If this is a new install & within the time frame. The leverage is in your favor.

The rep I talked to said that I can't cancel. He also said I will get a module in 3 days via UPS.

Problem solved. Keep in mind that the module has a Ch. 3/4 output and 1 OTA input, but has 2 tuners. Only one cable coming from your antenna to the input to serve 2 OTA tuners. You can record up to 4 streams at the same time: 2 sat channels and 2 OTA channels.

Good Luck.