How can I have a Joey more than 200ft from the hopper?

Yeah, if you can shorten the run, that would help at that distance...RG59 will have more loss than RG6, so making is shorter will also reduce loss...maybe enough to solve your issue if just marginal now.

Yeah, if you can shorten the run, that would help at that distance...RG59 will have more loss than RG6, so making is shorter will also reduce loss...maybe enough to solve your issue if just marginal now.

Ok I'm going to try removing as much as I can and see how that goes. If that doesn't work I'll probably try the rg6 next. Thank you

I thought it was distance to the dish or node and not the Hopper itself. I'd have to check out the rules again since it's been a couple years since I've had to look.

Have you tried just plugging the Joey into the router/switch in the remote building to see if it works?

Same network means same DHCP server for IP addresses. Are all the devices using the same subnet IP address for example 192.168.1.xxx
Have you tried just plugging the Joey into the router/switch in the remote building to see if it works?

I just tried cat5 from the Linksys router to the Joey and unfortunately I got nothing. It does not display anything on the tv at all using the hdmi.. Thanks

Strange..I went around the Linksys 120wrt modem plugged the internet directly into the Joey and it worked.. But doesn't seem like solid connection because the pictures jumps around every 10 seconds or so. Wonder why it won't work at all when through the router... Thanks

Same network means same DHCP server for IP addresses. Are all the devices using the same subnet IP address for example 192.168.1.xxx

Tha
I thought it was distance to the dish or node and not the Hopper itself. I'd have to check out the rules again since it's been a couple years since I've had to look.

Thanks..to the node does make sense

Why this focus on routers that just confuse the issue and (through NATing and being on different subnets, even w/o added firewall issues) prevent the Joey from working? Just put in cheap Ethernet switches. I personally have gigE switches all over the house, and all work like gangbusters.

I just don't have any experience with switches. Does that prevent less signal strength loss than my router daisy chain? I need to have wireless coverage in the extra building anyway...any other solutions are appreciated..thanks

Pretty sure an amp would be problematic. I don't know if a moca amp exists, but the signaling in moca is more complex than regular OTA type signals and an standard amp may cause more issues than help. Not saying it won't work, but it may be chasing your tail trying to find one that does.

The overall length of all cable on the home side of the node is an issue for moca. If you can trim length inside the home to the hopper and any other joeys it could help.

Is the remote building "router" connection to the main house wired or wireless? I'm not sure what you mean by "3 routers daisy chained." If they are doing some sort of wireless relay, then that will be problematic.

If Cat5+ wired, then @TheKrell is right - put a switch in so the Joey does not go through the "remote" router(s?), or at least make sure the router is in access point mode and not routing. This should work, but 300ft is at the edge of 100mb cat5 spec.

If it is wireless, and rg59 is already in place then there are Ethernet over coax adapters that are not moca or deca and sole purpose is to push Ethernet over coax over long distances - over a mile in some instances. This might not be the cheapest but should easily carry a reliable 100mb or even 1gb Ethernet signal over the existing RG59.

A poor man's version the Ethernet over coax solution might work with 2 HICs directly connected, ie: homerouter--HIC--COAX--HIC--JoeyCat5port. This would create a single point to point connection and removes the node, hopper, and any home joeys from the mix.

If you do run new cable, then definitely go with RG11, not RG6. Incremental cost is minimal and should be more reliable.

EDIT:
You wouldn't necessarily need two HICs, you could do homerouter--HIC--COAX--JoeyCoaxPort. This would have the same effect of creating a direct connection with one less piece of hardware.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts