How can I tell if I own it or it's leased?

Charade

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
I have a 510 and the only fee on my bill besides programming is the $5.98 DVR fee. Does this mean I own the 510?

Maybe, maybe not. For leased units there is usually a "leased receiver fee" included in your bill, but the primary receiver on that account usually has this fee waived. (It's included in the programming cost.) If that's your primary unit or your only unit, then you can't tell for sure from the bill. Just call E* with the "R" and "S" numbers and they can tell you for sure. Unless you can recall actually buying the unit from a retailer/installer, or from eBay or equivalent, then in all probability it is leased. YMMV...

Right now it's my only/primary receiver. I do OWN a 4900 that I bought 5 or 6 years ago. That I know is mine.

So if it's leased and it breaks or needs upgrading because it's no longer supported, Dish sends me a replacement?

Yes, but not with the same model if the broken one is obsolete and certainly not for free! Upgrading is a whole different matter. As long as your receiver can still operate under the current system E* won't upgrade it. For instance, I had a model 1000 (8+ years old) still operational until recently. The whole "upgrade" situation is becoming a big ?? as there is mounting pressure for E* to replace all the older MPEG-2 equipment with MPEG-4 capable units sometime in the near future, but that's all just speculation - there's nothing on record from E* about that AFAIK.

Even leasees have to pay to have defective equipment replaced. During the warranty period (1 year for receivers, IIRC) it's free but after that there is some cost, at least the S&H fee ($15-25?) if not more. I'm not clear on all this. The DHPP @ $5.99/mo. reduces that substantially, but there could still be some cost, like $29 min. for an installer to come on-site if you need one (vs. the usual $99). Check the on-line information about DHPP or search these threads for more on that. There have been a lot of questions about free replacements outside the warranty period for leased units and IIRC the consensus is "nada"...

Yes, but not with the same model if the broken one is obsolete and certainly not for free! Upgrading is a whole different matter. As long as your receiver can still operate under the current system E* won't upgrade it. For instance, I had a model 1000 (8+ years old) still operational until recently. The whole "upgrade" situation is becoming a big ?? as there is mounting pressure for E* to replace all the older MPEG-2 equipment with MPEG-4 capable units sometime in the near future, but that's all just speculation - there's nothing on record from E* about that AFAIK.

Even leasees have to pay to have defective equipment replaced. During the warranty period (1 year for receivers, IIRC) it's free but after that there is some cost, at least the S&H fee ($15-25?) if not more. I'm not clear on all this. The DHPP @ $5.99/mo. reduces that substantially, but there could still be some cost, like $29 min. for an installer to come on-site if you need one (vs. the usual $99). Check the on-line information about DHPP or search these threads for more on that. There have been a lot of questions about free replacements outside the warranty period for leased units and IIRC the consensus is "nada"...
I lease my receiver too and it just broke. If they charge me a fee for fixing a leased receiver. I will throw all the receivers and dish in the trash. I leased it so I wouldn't have to worry when it breaks. Because its not mine and I pay $5 a month just for the honor of using it. :)

You have to pay upkeep and repair costs on, for instance, a leased car. Why would you expect the leased DBS equipment to be completely free in that respect? Read the fine print in your contract. Sorry to seem so blunt about this, but that's why E* offers the protection plan, and we've really hit this topic from all angles in this forum several times...

I lease my receiver too and it just broke. If they charge me a fee for fixing a leased receiver. I will throw all the receivers and dish in the trash. I leased it so I wouldn't have to worry when it breaks. Because its not mine and I pay $5 a month just for the honor of using it. :)

PK,

Great Idea. Once Dish gets the wind that you either refused to or won't send back your leased hardware, you will get a great parting gift from DISH.\, A healthy charge, because you still have hardware that is NOT yours, its called stealing.

John

Makes you wonder if people think about these things. Well, actually I know they don't. Which is why there's a customer out there that thinks two leased receivers she requested replacements for were hers to keep and then writes Charlie a letter to keep them free of charge. Go fig.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts