How can I tell if my dish is grounded properly?

I agree.

That was partly why I *hinted* at using a 3-prong to 2-prong electrical adapter on the satellite receiver. As it was, that suggestion kinda got flamed. :p

ha, i'll defend ya...
personally I would do it for a while anyway till you get the floating ground problem figured out. I would rather have my receiver missing an extra ground, than grounding my whole system THROUGH my satellite receiver

The "vertical prongs" are the hot and neutral, the "taller" one, on the left, being the neutral. ...
Left or right depend on the date of code you are following. The older electrical code had the round ground plug on the bottom. (Possibly so it would be last out if the plug was hit.) The newer, ASAIK, had the ground plug on top. (This is better when something slips down the wall and crosses the pins, personal experience.)

So with the newer code the larger flat prong is on the RIGHT.

Aside: in remodeling I found exactly 1/2 of all outlets were ground-neutral reversed on our then 24-year-old house. It pays to spend less than $5 for a 3-neon tester. Interchange of ground and neutral on some outlets can give a fair voltage difference to the "ground" plugs of your equipment.

If it give even a little spark when connecting, check all outlets.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)