How can I use one coax for the Dish with sat1 and sat2.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ricka

Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
cleburne
Hi I'm new to all this or a newbee.
I have one coax going to my dvr (Hr-22 I think) hooked to sat1 from the dish (its a slimline 5). How can I split the siginal and use sat2. If I can what do I need to get ur done. Thanks Ricka

If using a regular LNB you can't split the line. Best bet is to upgrade to SWM, which allows just one wire to each receiver.

Press "-" on your remove, does it say SWiM Connected?

You could upgrade your LNB, add a power supply, and a splitter for around $30 on ebay last I looked, so it is not a costly upgrade.

Thanks for your reply. I will look when I get home. when I setup my reciever I slect slimline 5 and multswitch. Can I change the LNB without replacing the dish?
I have to use B-band convertors

Last edited:
:welcome to Satelliteguys ricka!

Yes, you can simply change out the lnb for a swm type. If you are reasonably careful you won't have to realign the dish. You will also need a power inserter. If you only have the one dvr, then just go from the lnb to the power inserter, then to the swm input on the dvr.

This is starting to make sense to me now. If I hook the power inserter into a splitter that is hooked up to the swm at the dish can I hook up the sat2 on my dvr to? So after I intall the swm equipment I will have to setup my reciever again instead of multiswitch I will select swm. Is that right.

Your "sat2" port will have NOTHING connected to it. Yet, you will still have two tuners. Both will be operating on the sat1 port.

SWM setups only need one cable to the DVR. You can use both tuners just fine only with one cable

I guess what are you trying to accomplish?

SWM uses special "stacking" techniques to combine all the frequencies so you only need one line regardless of tuners (1,2,5)

SWM uses special "stacking" techniques to combine all the frequencies so you only need one line regardless of tuners (1,2,5)

The way I always understood it was that each receiver is assigned a 100MHz channel by the SWM (channel whereby the SWM sends requested program to the receiver). When you select the program you want to watch, the SWM module sends that program to the receiver that requested it. Coax doesn't have enough bandwidth to handle stacking.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts