How can we use any DVI with DVI-less Mits's (and others)

Wally

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
With the 811 and soon to be out 921 now coming on stage....

What about the many many thousands of us who bought Mits (and other HDTVs for that matter) that was before DVI was put in them? (I guess they put them in now - they were VERY resistant to this, thinking firewire was the way to go)
I remember the early fear that all those with say, early 2003 or earlier sets would just totally miss out on exclusive HD DVI feeds. Oh yeah, Mits came out with their "promise" module with a total cost over $1000!!! (Almost half the cost of the original set!!!) and it STILL doesn't have DVI, just firewire (and OTA)!
Is there an adapter for DVI to RGB?
I would keep my 6000, but keeping both receivers active would cost extra.
The 211 won't work for me (no firewire in my model).
Am I missing something here?

The 921 (at least, haven't checked the 811) has HD componet (Y Pb Pr) video outputs. That is what my 1999 Mitsubishi HD projection has for inputs. My understanding is that I should just be able to use those connections.

Do you also have those (or am I missing something)?

Bill

I bought my toshiba 57" RPTV last January. It does not have a DVI input but their website said it's "DVI upgradeable" (whatever the hell that means). I need to call their tech dept per the toshiba CSRs. I wonder if there is a huge, noticeable difference between component and DVI?

Ransack said:
I bought my toshiba 57" RPTV last January. It does not have a DVI input but their website said it's "DVI upgradeable" (whatever the hell that means). I need to call their tech dept per the toshiba CSRs. I wonder if there is a huge, noticeable difference between component and DVI?

IMO, DVI is not a significant PQ improvement over component on RPTVs, most all of which are CRT-based, therefor, analog scan anyway. There may well be a noticeable difference with digital LCD, DLP and Plasma displays, but I don't have hands-on experience with those - yet. Until your DVI compatiblity issues are resolved, just use component connections.

Yes, I of course, am using component, and the picture is really stunning. I was just bringing up the old question about down-rez-ing for non DVI compliant sets (PPV, live specials, or ANYTHING the originator wants to restrict).
Yes, I do have RGB.
I'm really guessing that implementation of "restricted" DVI-only programming is still pretty far away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts