How come no mention of the new WITH DVR packs anywhere on DISH's website?

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
I looked all over the DISH website but the only mention of the with dvr packs is the old menu option for the older dvr advantage packs. When you do hit on the dvr advantage menu option it takes you to the DISH family pack instead.

Now I had to do a search on the DISH website itself using the words WITH dvr before I could find anything . The first line that came up I hit on and found a page for it with the title DISHNETWORK Dvr/ local channels bundle. There it is talked about and tells you the price of each pack with dvr. But my question is why isn't the "with dvr" bundle being mentioned on the website without me having to do a search? Why isn't DISH promoting this option any longer? Like the TURBO stand alone packs , you can't find any reference to it on the main site. Granted the WITH dvr packs only saves you .98 cents over paying the dvr fee , but it still saves you something.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/packages/dda/

My other question is will we still receive the $3.00 dvr credit monthly like we did with the dvr advantage packs ? When I switched Saturday I was told by Brad T . the online csr that I would still receive the $3.00 credit monthly even though I switched from the older dvr advantage pack to With dvr pack. How much do you want to bet we don't get anymore $3.00 credit after this bill? It wouldn't be DISH unless they found a way to pull a fast one. I now pay $4.99 more a month since I switched to this pack to get the HD + plat pack for 10.00. It did away with bundling HBO with HD and top 250 bonus pack and I pay the full $15.99 for HD now monthly.

So if DISH does do away with the $3.00 dvr credit from the old dvr advantage packs when you switch to with dvr pack added to the new $4.99 increase on HBO , they just recouped $7.99 a month off of me to offset the cost of giving me the Plat pack for the same price and bundled with the hd pack; $10.00.

I couldnt find it either. I had to go thru the whole ordering process like i was a new customer, then pick that i wanted a dvr, then the "with dvr" package was added to my order. Not sure why dish isnt advertising on their site that they have dvr's:confused:
As for the 3.00 credit, i also was told we would still keep that, but usually on my account, in the "activity since last statement" the credit is there, but now since this changeover, it isnt there. I figure i will wait until about 1 week before my next bill is made, and if it isnt listed, i will chat with dish, and show them the text where the csr said we will still get it. We will see in a few weeks.

I think we keep it. The "DVR Advantage" line items have been changed to "with DVR" and the prices are the same.

Yes it looks like it will be the same on the price but why hide it inside the site from everyone's view. New subs won't even know about this pack and it makes them look even more uncompetitive now to potential subs in comparison to DIRECTV. They at least have their dvr plus packs.

Not sure why dish isnt advertising on their site that they have dvr's:confused:

They are...the DVRs are there under equipment. They just aren't advertising a completely different set of packages that save you a measly 98 cents.

I really think they are trying to keep things simple, despite what some people think. If they are still offering it to new customers, then "Hey, it's 98 cents less than I expected!". If they aren't offering it...oh well, existing customers can keep it and save the 98 cents, and no one else would know the difference.

The fact that the prices on the website now include locals make DVR Advantage even more irrelevant.

From a marketing standpoint, it's better to make things simpler than worry about pissing a few people off over 98 cents. And as long as those people are grandfathered in, most of them won't notice or care.

Yes that it tue. The WITH dvr pack is still supposed to offer you a $3.00 dvr credit , according to the online csr I talked to when I changed my pack to HD + plat. So that makes the WITH dvr pack worth $3.98 in savings over the traditional way of bundling. Unless he was misinformed , then this looks like another way to do away with the extra credit and to not save you extra money. Why let the competition , DIRECTV , look like they have better dvr deals? THey already have the edge because their dvr plus packs offer ALL the dvrs covered on fees. This makes DISH look even less competitive if they don't offer any credit WITH the Dvr packs or hide away to see this pack on their website.

I changed to HD + Platinum yesterday by using the website to deselect my old HD package and select the new one that then showed up, and not only does the $3 credit not show up, but there's no mention of "WITH DVR" on any of my line items, just "DVR SERVICE". But since its only a $3 increase and I might actually watch the Platinum channels occasionally, I'm not going to call or chat and try to argue with someone who would probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

Dish really needs to drop all the bogus deals and bogus fees and just have one simple rate structure for everyone! When you can have different packages available based on what you already subscribe to, how the hell is either the customer OR the CSR supposed to keep them straight? There should be a one-to-one correspondence between the package you choose and the amount you're billed for it! (Not to mention, there should be a one-to-one correspondence between the package you choose and the keys in the authorization stream, since anyone who reads this board should know how badly they mangled that with the last two rounds of national HD additions!)

***EDIT*** I just looked at my new bill online, and it DOES have the $3 DVR Advantage credit, along with the "HD + Platinum" package for $10! However, there's still no indication anywhere in the list of packages I subscribe to that I'm entitled to it, so my comments about Dish needing to de-obfuscate both their package naming AND their website still stand.

Last edited:
I changed to HD + Platinum yesterday by using the website to deselect my old HD package and select the new one that then showed up, and not only does the $3 credit not show up, but there's no mention of "WITH DVR" on any of my line items, just "DVR SERVICE". But since its only a $3 increase and I might actually watch the Platinum channels occasionally, I'm not going to call or chat and try to argue with someone who would probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

Dish really needs to drop all the bogus deals and bogus fees and just have one simple rate structure for everyone! When you can have different packages available based on what you already subscribe to, how the hell is either the customer OR the CSR supposed to keep them straight? There should be a one-to-one correspondence between the package you choose and the amount you're billed for it! (Not to mention, there should be a one-to-one correspondence between the package you choose and the keys in the authorization stream, since anyone who reads this board should know how badly they mangled that with the last two rounds of national HD additions!)

***EDIT*** I just looked at my new bill online, and it DOES have the $3 DVR Advantage credit, along with the "HD + Platinum" package for $10! However, there's still no indication anywhere in the list of packages I subscribe to that I'm entitled to it, so my comments about Dish needing to de-obfuscate both their package naming AND their website still stand.

Before I got the Platinum added, my bill did NOT have the usual $3.00 credit as well. I called yesterday and they said it was a system error, that I was not the only one. They said it would all be fixed yesterday. And it was.

Is DISH using Satellite Guys to debug their website.

Every time something is pointed out as an error, DISH fixes it in short order.

Scott, are you being compensated for our services?:D

I know I sent them an email on this Monday. So yes they are using us to debug their system and NO I am not getting paid for it. :p

Every web page has two versions, one for existing customers and one for prospective customers. If I try to get to a web page referenced in the forums here, it re-directs to an existing customer version without the free offers. VERY IRRITATING.

Dish is in the process of simplifying everything. They are going to make programming and billing much more simple. It's just going to take some time. It will take them time to change their billing system. Eventually you should only see about 1 line on your bill for what you are being charged for. Dish will be making some major changes in the next 1 to 2 years.

I was on DVRA with the AT250 and HD add-ons prior to 8/1. On 8/1 I called and had Platinum added for no charge. My current bill now shows the new package, Classic Gold 250 with DVR. The breakdown is as follows:

Classic Gold 250 with DVR $67.99
Solo DVR Receiver $5.00 (a 508 used in kids room)
DVR Receiver $12.00 (an additional leased 622 in MBR)
HD & Platinum $10.00

DishDVR Advantage Credit - Adjustment -$3.00

So they did give me the DVRA credit, which I guess is something. Since the basic price for the new Classic Gold 250 pack is $62.99, if you add the DVR fee of $5.98 that comes to $68.97. They are only charging me $64.99 after the $3.00 discount, so it looks to me like I am saving $3.98 rather than 0.98.

What I don't get is the charge for my 2nd 622. If the second lease fee for a MPEG-4 receiver is $7.00, and the DVR fee is 5.98, shouldn't they be charging me $12.98? I wonder if there is some kind of discount on the 2nd DVR as well, or if they are just rounding down to make the billing simpler? Or did the DVR fee go down to an even $5.00 per month?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts