How come only 10 Voom Channels?

kfried001

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
How come Dish only chose 10 channels. And why those 10 channels, they would have been VERY wise to have chosen Worldsport. That was exclusive to Rainbow.

I left Dish to Voom because they were slow to add HD channels. Now I am back. I hope they add the others quickly before Direct does and fall behind. They have the lead and need to maintain it. They need to advertise and gain market share. The satellite market is saturated. One way to grow is to take customers away from your competitor. I just don't understand why they didn't add at leat all the movie channels and worldsport.

They said they would add the rest by January 1, 2006. It sounds like they are fine tuning things. Also, it makes good Marketing 101.... Dribble them out to keep having good news to report every few months. For now I'll enjoy the stellar PQ..... only Two HD channels on a transponder in one case. Enjoy it while it lasts........

Cyclone said:
Like likely don't want too many MPEG-2 HD channels to migrate over to MPEG4 this fall.
Most likey mpeg4 will be for hd locals or that would make the 942 & 921 absolete already. I think the plan is to slowly introduce mpeg4 to hd local markets over the next three years and let all the other receivers continue receiving the current HD package + StarZ, Cinemax, TMC, Universal, Outdoor2, Espn2 and the rest of the Voom channels in Mpeg2. I hope this because I am a recent Voom sub who just purchased a 921. Should I return it and do an 811 lease and use my Tivo until the end of the year?

Nope, the new channels will be MPEG4 which should be late fall.

Dish/Charlie said something about their MPEG4 plan replacing 25 million MPEG2 boxes that are out there now, so hopefully every mpeg2 box activated to dish would be replaced wether your owning or leasing.

BFG said:
Nope, the new channels will be MPEG4 which should be late fall.

Dish/Charlie said something about their MPEG4 plan replacing 25 million MPEG2 boxes that are out there now, so hopefully every mpeg2 box activated to dish would be replaced wether your owning or leasing.
So, the million $$$ question. Should I return the the 921 I just purchased from Costco and just stick to cable until mpeg4 or do is the concensus is that Dish will truley swap em out for free.

I'm guessing they will do some "free" upgrade with strings attached. We'll swap them out in exchange for a 2 year commitment or something to that effect. I don't know how they will deal with guys like me though. My setup has a 921, a 510, 2 508s, and a 4900. This could get expensive in a hurry without assistance.

If Dish offers financial incentives to upgrade to MPEG4, it is doubtful it will be for the full cost of the equipment. Plus...
-There will no doubt be limits to the number of discount/free receiver upgrades.
-There will no doubt be preference towards new customers.
-There will no doubt be serious term commitments involved.
-There will no doubt be some financial requirement from the sub, especially existing subs. (Think of the $250 fee to LEASE the 942.)

Does anybody really think otherwise based on history? Hope and wishing for a free upgrade is wonderful. But, reality dictates otherwise.

GaryPen said:
If Dish offers financial incentives to upgrade to MPEG4, it is doubtful it will be for the full cost of the equipment. Plus...
-There will no doubt be limits to the number of discount/free receiver upgrades.
-There will no doubt be preference towards new customers.
-There will no doubt be serious term commitments involved.
-There will no doubt be some financial requirement from the sub, especially existing subs. (Think of the $250 fee to LEASE the 942.)

Does anybody really think otherwise based on history? Hope and wishing for a free upgrade is wonderful. But, reality dictates otherwise.

Based on statements during the E* earnings call I think you pretty much nailed it.

NightRyder

kfried001 said:
I hope this because I am a recent Voom sub who just purchased a 921. Should I return it and do an 811 lease and use my Tivo until the end of the year?
No, just enjoy your 921. It will be while before Dish realizes all of this. The Vets know around here, that when Dish is going to lauch something in the spring, it happens in September. When its supposed to launch in the fall, it happens in January. You have many months of HD DVR joy to have before you face a MPEG4 channel.

Hmmm. Here's my history of purchases/upgrades....

5/2000 Signed up for Digital Dynamite Plan. $50 Installation fee got me a leased 4900 and a leased 2700 receiver. I also added a second 4900 receiver which I purchased from the dealer.

11/2000 Bought a Dishplayer from DishDepot for $199. Moved the 4900 to my bedroom and put the 2700 in the closet.

4/2001 Bought a Second Dishplayer for my bedroom when they discontinued them for something like $129 (pluys free Personal TV for "life" for both Dishplayers). Moved the purchased 4900 to a new TV in my son's room.

1/2002 Got a free upgrade to 61.5 as the two dish solution is implemented for the additional New York local channels. All installation accessories, cabling, and labor for no charge.

9/2002 Add a 721 as the primary receiver. Move Dishplayer to my son's room and put purchased 4900 in closet.

6/2003 Return leased 4900 and 2700 receivers as "no price increase for three years" expires and extra $5 lease fee a month isn't needed anymore.

11/2003 Get a 100% free 510 receiver in exchange for a two year commitment extension to new TV in my daughter's room. Out of ports on the SW64 switch so they supply splitters, cable, another SW64 switch, the 510, and labor for the upgrade. About a $750 value for zero dollars on my part. After the installer leaves I swap the Dishplayer in my room for the 510 in my daughter's room.

1/2004 I add a 921 as my primary receiver (Thanks again to Richard King for getting me one of the first ones off the line). I gift my 721 to my father for his system.

4/2005 I get 2 refurb 508s for my Dishplayers which refuse to take the yellow smart card swaps after several attempts. I triple the capacity of my drives compared to the Dishplayers and never have to watch that "lack of progress" TV listings bar ever again. Cost to me .... Zero.

I've had nothing but stellar service when it came to "upgrades" or problem resolutions with hardware. I have purchased the Extended Warranty which may have helped matters.

Opposed to the naysayers, E* has stepped up on numerous occasions to make things right. Yes, their receivers are buggy, but when push comes to shove they've covered every required upgrade I've needed. I don't know if my streak of no charge upgrades (other than a few receivers I've bought) will continue, but I've done pretty good so far.

Cyclone said:
No, just enjoy your 921. It will be while before Dish realizes all of this. The Vets know around here, that when Dish is going to lauch something in the spring, it happens in September. When its supposed to launch in the fall, it happens in January. You have many months of HD DVR joy to have before you face a MPEG4 channel.
Thanks, but several months of enjoyments does not warrant an almost $500 purchase. I would rather wait a few more months than have a paper-weight by the end of the year. I just lost $1400 in Voom receivers. I am done loosing money on equipment. I got cable when I heard Voom was going under. Got a dual tuner hd dvr, singler hd tuner, two digital boxes. Cost $0. 16 HD channels if you count locals, but I have an HD OTA. A very good lineup. With Tax $114.00. But I need the Voom Originals!!! I just can't loose anymore money on receivers or my wife will never let me live it down.