How current is Superdish.

twizt3dsist3r

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 15, 2009
Pennsylvania, United States
Hey, Im a d* tech so i dont visit this forum much, but I actually run d*, e*, and comcast into my house at once, current dishnet setup is the oldest of the three, and the dish is the superdish, (not sure if its 1000 or whatever.x) its about 3-4yrs old and the size of a ka/ku. The LNB says HDTV on the end of it, my question is will that pick up e*'s current hd stations? I currently have a 622 and a 322, and was considering upgrading to a vip922 when it comes out, just wondering if i can obtain one for myself now or not, will my dish need to be replaced?

NE PA was setup with a Superdish 105 with locals being on the 105 location with a KU for 105. There is nothing there now with locals moved to 119. If you are wanting HD, you would need a second dish for 61.5 which can be run through your current switch replacing 105. If your switch cannot handle another dual tuner receiver (if your setup has a dp34 switch, it will not) you can cascade another dp34 to the current one to give you extra connections in order to do this. Or you can switch the existing dish for a Dish 1000.4 for the Eastern Arc set of sats, but you would need to replace the 322 receiver as sat locations 72 and 77 are mpeg4 only. The superdish is outdated and I would really not recommend using a second one of these (It is not a Dish 1000 and is a lot larger and harder to point and install than any of the several 1000 models), also note that the dish 1000, 1000+ and 1000.2 use 129 and that sat is not largely visible in NE PA and very hard to get locked in especially with a dish pointed at three sats at once. Also note that you HD locals are on 72 sat and not any of the ones you are currently pointed at.

got ya, now can the 1000.4 be mounted to the jpipe the superdish is on right now? im not really up for having 3 dishes on my house, and yea i have a db34, but i would be replacing the 622 for the 922 or 722 or whatever i decide to do if anything (just trying to keep my options open) so i would only have 4 tuners live at once anyway. what line of sights and elevations would i be looking at for hd using a 1000.4 through an inclonometer (totally spelled that wrong lol) thanks.

Dish gutted the 105 satellite a while back and actually subleases the transponders out to other companies for news and sports uplinks

got ya, now can the 1000.4 be mounted to the jpipe the superdish is on right now? im not really up for having 3 dishes on my house, and yea i have a db34, but i would be replacing the 622 for the 922 or 722 or whatever i decide to do if anything (just trying to keep my options open) so i would only have 4 tuners live at once anyway. what line of sights and elevations would i be looking at for hd using a 1000.4 through an inclonometer (totally spelled that wrong lol) thanks.

No, the 1000 masts are smaller. Also, it is possible that a 1000.4 will not work at the same location as the superdish since it will face about 70 degrees counterclockwise from the superdish (view from behind the dish, facing the same direction as the dish). And again, the 322 will not work properly should you switch to a 1000.4. The 622, 722 and 922 all will work.

i live in nepa best setup I think would be , dpp 500 twinn and single dp lnb , is what dish setup here most of the time.. He could use the s-dish if he really wanted too , disconect the 105 and use the singel lnb dish .. There is also a converter pipe [[ mask ] to use s-dish mounting pipe [ mask] to go to a 500 mask if needed

pipe adapter. works fine for the larger mast provided line of sight.
also, i wouldnt advise it (much better to just replace that superdish, which will suffer freq deviation soon enough if not already) you could add a small 61.5 wing, and run it to the input where 105 goes now. or, if no L.O.S. for 61.5, 72, or 77 on the current mast a 1000.2 should work with a pipe adapter - is smaller and looks better. but you'll have to use an antenna for hd locals. and your 322 would work fine.

pipe adapter. works fine for the larger mast provided line of sight.
also, i wouldnt advise it (much better to just replace that superdish, which will suffer freq deviation soon enough if not already) you could add a small 61.5 wing, and run it to the input where 105 goes now. or, if no L.O.S. for 61.5, 72, or 77 on the current mast a 1000.2 should work with a pipe adapter - is smaller and looks better. but you'll have to use an antenna for hd locals. and your 322 would work fine.

It should be the 1000.4 dish (the EA dish), NE PA has no los for 129.

yea 18de would totally kill my LOS, im gonna go take a pic and up it quick, not sure Im gonna have LOS for HD from the sounds of this, please keep in mind my goal here is to have only 2 dishes (i have a KA/Ku) or at least drill as little holes as possible, brb with pic.

use your imagination to figure whats behind the roof of my porch. And my Ka/Ku just barely gets reception

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

Lets try a different approach, If I called Dishnet and said i wanted to upgrade my dvr to an HD Dvr, and was a complete idiot and knew nothing of satellites or model numbers, what would an E* tech do when they got to my house?

Hard to say but if you had older type lnb's, they would either install a new dish with new lnb's or if they had the proper equipment, add a second dish and connect to your existing setup. Hard to say, mostly depends on the installer and how diligent or lazy he is.

Can i swindle a free replacement for my 322 as well as getting the upgrade to HD? Like with D* if you have any of the namebrand receivers, (sony, rca, phillips) since they dont have interactive features, you can get a free upgrade to the d11 or d12. I just need something that can support two tvs with one box due to the way I have the house wired. Im planning to ad either HD to my bedroom, or the living room, both of which currently have receivers so wiring would not change, what I need to know is dish setup. Im pretty against having a 3rd dish installed, and Im not to crazy about having more holes in the roof :( Yea im the customer that techs hate, and im a tech..... lol thats even worse haha. what would you guys recommend, Im just trying to stay away from having Iceburgs setup installed. (Lol sorry man I had to)

Can anyone post pictures of the different dishes, like what a 1000.2 and 1000.4 actually look like, and what azemyth / elevation Im looking at for each dish type? Ive probably seen all these dishes driving around, but just dont know the names, Im lucky d* just has the round (not used in my area anyway) Trip Sat (Phase III / 18x20) and Ka/Ku (5LNB Multi/KaKu3/SWM/SWM3) many names and variations, but still 3 dishes, and they all point in near the same direction. Yes I know about the 18x24 just for all the old school techs here, but why mention it at this point lol.

"Swindle a free replacement", I don't think I would use that wording when talking to Dish. You can try, it depends on the csr you get. Only persons getting replacements are those whose receiver's are being shut off. I doubt you would be able to talk someone into giving you a free HD receiver to replace an sd one.

Can i swindle a free replacement for my 322 as well as getting the upgrade to HD? Like with D* if you have any of the namebrand receivers, (sony, rca, phillips) since they dont have interactive features, you can get a free upgrade to the d11 or d12. I just need something that can support two tvs with one box due to the way I have the house wired. Im planning to ad either HD to my bedroom, or the living room, both of which currently have receivers so wiring would not change, what I need to know is dish setup. Im pretty against having a 3rd dish installed, and Im not to crazy about having more holes in the roof :( Yea im the customer that techs hate, and im a tech..... lol thats even worse haha. what would you guys recommend, Im just trying to stay away from having Iceburgs setup installed. (Lol sorry man I had to)

Can anyone post pictures of the different dishes, like what a 1000.2 and 1000.4 actually look like, and what azemyth / elevation Im looking at for each dish type? Ive probably seen all these dishes driving around, but just dont know the names, Im lucky d* just has the round (not used in my area anyway) Trip Sat (Phase III / 18x20) and Ka/Ku (5LNB Multi/KaKu3/SWM/SWM3) many names and variations, but still 3 dishes, and they all point in near the same direction. Yes I know about the 18x24 just for all the old school techs here, but why mention it at this point lol.
I know you not far from me, im almost positive , You wont get 129 for hd, so you propaly gpnna nee 61.5 which will aquire 2 dishes,

what azemyth is 129 at? thats the one with an 18deg elevation correct? I can check it right now. also what is the procedure for the upgrade in this case? If I cant have a 1 dish solution, where does the second face? and i think i read its tied into the current dp34 i have. does that mean im keeping this ugly ass sdish and its monstrosity of an lnb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts