mkatts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Those Born 1930-1979!

TO ALL THE KIDS

WHO SURVIVED the
1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we
Rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and

NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank koolade made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because .

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING !

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down
The hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computer! , no Internet or chat rooms.......
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
Lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,

Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and kno cked on the door or rang
The bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them . . . CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as
Kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives

For our own good

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Well, to suggest that everyone older than 40 is healthy, intelligent and socially fine is a bit much. Look at the old perverts on the news. Look at the old killers on the news. Look at the 50 year olds keeping their kids in cages...Look at the priests touching little boys...

I have no idea what the kids of today will be like in 30 years, but it probably won't be much different than the 40+ year olds of today...

How the heck did we live with those deep CRT TV's??? My god, if a TV is deeper than 5 inches these days people freak out. PQ be damned, thin is in.

Do we really know that people used to be healthier?? '

We don't really know if people are sicker now, or if we're just diagnosing more things in order to make more money selling drugs...

Yes we really do know, kids and adults spend more time infront of comps and consoles and yes it is documented that more and more of the population is becoming unhealthy from being fat couch potatoes. Read the papers, magazines, and journals, we are a fat and unhealthy society and have no one to blame but ourselves.

Diabetes, obesitie, heart disease, all on the rise and diabetes has doubled in 10 years.

Last edited:
mkatts- great look back at life in the sixty's for me thanks for the nice trip down memory lane and your right how did we survive.

kael said:
mkatts- great look back at life in the sixty's for me thanks for the nice trip down memory lane and your right how did we survive.

:D :D :D

Now I understand what the big appeal for the northwest is for me, many of the movies I watched growing up as a kid in the 70's and early 80's featured the scrub deserts and roling hill sides of california, north and south dakota, oregon, montana, wyoming, idaho, washington state, and colorado. Five years ago I took a greyhound out to pasco washington to pick up a 65 new yorker that I won on ebay, the trip out on greyhound was incredibly cool when its a ride from Detroit but what made it all great was the ride back across country in that big old car.

Exploring the mountains or seeing the badlands and painted rocks, heck seeing it all was incredible and took my breath away. As a kid my family would from time to time take road trips and there was always something great about seeing the sites, that trip brought it all back for me even though I have traveled from michigan to florida and east to new york a few times, it was something about the old west, the mountains and the wide open prairies that took me back to being a kid watching westerns.

Van said:
Yes we really do know, kids and adults spend more time infront of comps and consoles and yes it is documented that more and more of the population is becoming unhealthy from being fat couch potatoes. Read the papers, magazines, and journals, we are a fat and unhealthy society and have no one to blame but ourselves.

Diabetes, obesitie, heart disease, all on the rise and diabetes has doubled in 10 years.

My wife actually came up with an intresting theory about this a few weeks back. Look back before just about all the moms thought it would be a good idea to start having careers and stop cooking home cooked meals for their family. After that fast food chains started booming and America got fat. They are off at work thinking they need to fulfill something in their life while their kid eats bigmac's and play video games all day.

Last edited:
Yea alot has changed but even with fast food booming back in the early to mid 80's kids still spent more time outside playing with friends and sports. The only time I see any neighborhood kids out is when they are waiting for the school bus or when the devout christian militia parents down the street start runnin the last coming of god war zone drills.

You don't get fat watching tv. You get fat from eating too much. You can eat a big mac while watching Starz, and you can eat a big mac while running a marathon. It's all dependant on what you WANT to do. Either get some control or be fat, but don't drag tv into it. Maybe we should blame the grocery stores for selling fat people the double-chocolate ice cream that they obviously don't need.

I wonder if my grammar school still has those sprayed on asbestos popcorn ceilings?

Its easy to drag TV into this and a valid point to blame TV. As a kid in the 70's and 80's cable wasn't around or was just barely coming on the scene so all you had was 2 - 8 local stations in most places. With the lack of content and the only time that was really geared toward kids was 3pm - 5pm Mon - Fri and Saturday morning cartoons. The rest of the time was boring adult stuff and for adults it was boring as well, once the late 80's to early 90's hit cable came on like gang busters and when dbs jumped into the mix it gave people 50, 100, 200 up to 500 channels of mindless entertainment and infomercials to watch for hours and hours on end.

Fast food has been around for easily 50 years ( thanks McDonald's ) but TV has only recently come into its own and there is undeniable proof that kids and adults spend more time in front of the TV as compared to 10 years ago. Studies were completed last year that document this trend in kids and if memory serves me that kids are spending on average of 6 hours a day in front of the TV now. Childhood obesity is much more prevalent now and is regularly in the news as is the national obesity trend among the general population.

I have said this for the longest time since I had went to work for Dish, television is the most widely accessible form of legalized addiction in the world. People will go to great lengths to have TV such as spending their last dime on getting cable or satellite yet forgoing food, people will spend exorbitant amounts of money on TV as well, heck people join groups to talk about TV also ;)

I weighed 350 when I graduated High School 8 years ago. I watched a lot of tv, but I also ate a lot.

I watch MORE tv now, and i'm 220 currently. Doesn't quite correlate. Everyone has a choice to make in regards to their physical nature, and tv isn't a part of that. There's a difference between watching Lost, and watching Lost with a bag of doritos...

When I graduated I weighed 160 and ate alot but also did alot, 20 years later I eat a third of what I used to and weigh 202 down from 220 not to long ago. My tv time when in school was a few hours a week, my tv time up until recently was 24 hours a week give or take but with alot of activity in my job and alot of stress as well.

People snack and snack and snack more when they sit infront of the tv or computer than they would if they were out and about moving around. Stress has played a part in my wieght gain but a lack of activity and time spent festering infront of a tv has also.

You don't gain weight by sitting around. You don't gain weight by watching tv. The only way to gain weight is by putting food in your mouth. Eating just before bed, or having a midnight snack, no matter WHAT it is, is just putting weight on you. Even if it's an apple, that's going to be turned to fat instantly.

Most doctors say you should eat multiple small meals but I'm not sure I believe that. If you want to maintain weight, that's fine, but to lose, you've got to eat fewer times during the day so your body learns it's not going to get fed every few hours. People THINK they're hungry because their stomach rumbles, which is a terrible misconception. If you feed your body at 1pm everyday, and suddenly eat something at 12pm instead, your stomach will still rumble at 1pm because it thinks it's supposed to be getting food. Ignore it and it'll re-adjust just fine.

"...people join groups to talk about TV also..." :eek:

Say it ain't so! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)