How do I get a stronger signal?

fatreap70

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
My dish is pointed at 100% on 119 (used a signal meter for it), but my signal is low for 118.7. How can I get a stronger signal for 118.7? Should I add another power inserter? Should I run separate lines to TV1 and TV2 instead of using a splitter right by the box? Stations keep flashing on and off and it sucks watching the CBB games like this. I am using a VIP622 with a 1000+ dish and DPP44 switch with the power inserter. Thanks.

you have to align that dish, focusing on the 118 satellite. Forget the 119... get the 118 as strong as you can, and the other 3 will be fine.

Be careful, peaking just the 118.7 can cause you to lose other good reception! The signals you are probably looking for are on the 118.7 and/or 129 and the signal does need to be increased by re-pointing the dish.

Last edited:
So an additional power inserter wouldn't really matter. How about running separate lines from the switch to the ird to tv1 and tv2 instead of having a splitter near the box?

I just have the HD package (and dumped the top 200) now which is carried mostly on the 129 and 118.7 (St louis locals) right?

Power inserter does not increase signal, it just powers the switch. Individual cables will probably not gain you much either.

Repeak that baby on 118.75 AND 129.

I used a generic signal meter to try to peak the 118 bird and removed the 4 x 1 radio shack splitter and changed it with a 2 x 1 DN splitter (a bigger on than most others) and all seems to be going good for the moment. Thanks to all for your help, especially Jared for the "extra" thing you did for me. I was ready to cuss you out, but I was patient and got er going finally! LOL

Thanks to Jim, I didn't know if that increased the ability to pull in a signal or not.

Now I'm ready for some hoops!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)