how do i get my local wb and is it in hd?

moviemax

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
I live in the charleston, wv area and get all my local networks via an off air antenna that came with my voom system when i got it. the only one i cant pick up is my local wb station. does anyone have an antenna that can pick this station up and is it in hd? and if you can pick it up and it is in hd, can you reccomend an antenna i can use to pick it up. thanks a lot.

First, there is no such thing as an HD channel; only digital. Then if your local affiliate is digital, they may or may not be passing along the HD programming; more than likely if they are digital they should be passing it along.

I used 25301 as my test zip code and you are not looking great in the digital OTA realm too me. (see attached) * and DT indicate digital channels as last reported in that area. The call signs that mix alpha and numeric are translators (repeaters) and that is not usually a good thing. You must be in some very hilly and forrest type topography.

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 221
His market has WQCW-TV (WB...CW in September) channel 30, licensed to Portsmouth, OH to the west. Their digital is WQCW-DT channel 17 with only a 50,000 watt signal. Wish him luck!

thanks for your help everone. Can anyone reccomend what i can do to be able to receive this channel, especially since its a digital channel. would i need a seperate antenna?

Did your ota antenna come from the voom people? Is it indoor? There is no such thing as a "digital" antenna. The digital signal is picked up by the antenna, then processed by the tuner. Most stations broadcast digital on UHF freq's, so a UHF antenna is needed. Look at antennaweb.com with your address and it will tell you where to point your antenna for each station. You must choose one or the other, aim for a group, or use a rotor to switch extreme directions. I am in Houston, TX and use a simple UHF indoor bow-tie to pick up from the towers 3 miles away. I have been to Charleston and it is hilly! Only PBS HD is HD all the time, the rest vary by show. good luck.

my voom antenna is outside. when i do a channel scan, it will pick up all my local channels except the local wb. So would i need to get a second antenna or would a power inserter help?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)