How do I know which Hopper, and how do I get it wireless

Sponge14

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Can someone tell me how I can tell if my Hopper is the newest model? From what I read, it should have Sling built in? What other differences are there?

Also, I am going to have to move the Hopper to a wireless connection. Does it have WiFi built in and if so how do I go wireless?

Click on the thumbnail:

hopper with sling.jpg

Mine just says Hopper and Blockbuster on the right... Why would I be given old hardware on a brand new installation? I just had it installed 4 days ago?

Mine just says Hopper and Blockbuster on the right... Why would I be given old hardware on a brand new installation? I just had it installed 4 days ago?

You would have had to ask for sling when ordered. Dish doesn't give the newest equipment and csr's don't always ask if that is what you want. Dish also sells a Wifi adaptor for use with their receivers, you can order it through your mydish account pages.

If you've gone to the Dish site as a new customer and did a setup, you'll get a Hopper w/Sling. Not even an option to get anything else as the first unit.

So you're saying that if instead of using the online at Dish, but instead calling them that they will give you the older model? that doesn't sound right at all.

I wonder if the OP ordered directly from Dish or some other outlet?

It has been posted, many times on this website, that you have to ask specifically for the Hopper with Sling to get one. The CSRs have been instructed not to say anything about it because there are not too many of them to be had at this point.

I have my old Sling adapter from the 722, will that work on the Hopper?

Also, was my installer not supposed to supply me with the Wifi adapter? I told him that the hard wire was probably going to be temporary, I just forgot to press the issue when we started having problems with my external drive....

Also, was my installer not supposed to supply me with the Wifi adapter? I told him that the hard wire was probably going to be temporary, I just forgot to press the issue when we started having problems with my external drive....

The sling adapter should work just fine. If you needed a WiFi adapter you would've needed to tell him. If it's wired direct, that is the best way.

Yes, the sling adaptor will work. Not all installers carry the Wifi adaptor, if you ask they may give you one if he feels generous. They cost you $25, and it would have come out of the installer's or his boss's pocket if he gave you one.

Yes, the sling adaptor will work. Not all installers carry the Wifi adaptor, if you ask they may give you one if he feels generous. They cost you $25, and it would have come out of the installer's or his boss's pocket if he gave you one.

If put in at the time install any broadband device should be free to the customer and the installer/retailer is to be reimbursed. If the broadband device is put in at a later date then it would cost the customer.

If, during the install, the Hopper has cat-5 available but the joey doesn't, will they supply a USB Broadband adapter for the joey at no charge?

I did not have ethernet in the room my hopper was installed in, but it did have WiFi. Still, the installer opted to use, and run cable for the HIC...the preferred choice.

I can't see where the HIC would be any faster than cat-5 straight from the router. I guess if I can't get the Wi-Fi adapter then I could buy one later. Amazon had them for $17.50 this morning. I would want the ability to move the joey around the house as needed without having to run coax everywhere. Wi-Fi would be the best way to do that.

Last edited:
I can't see where the HIC would be any faster than cat-5 straight from the router. I guess if I can't get the Wi-Fi adapter then I could buy one later. Amazon had them for $17.50 this morning. I would want the ability to move the joey around the house as needed without having to run coax everywhere. Wi-Fi would be the best way to do that.

Direct Cat5 will be the fastest, then HIC, then Wifi. If you are trying to move the Joey, you would need to buy your own wifi adapter. The tech won't leave you one for that because it isn't needed and moving the Joey and using wifi to do it isn't a Dish officially supported connection method.

Last edited: