How do I remove a Dish satellite that is GLUED to the fascia board (where the gutters should go)

timredmo

Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Vermont
I recently bought a condo that had no rain gutters. Turns out the DISH satellite dish was mounted via 'glue' to the fascia board. I want to install gutters but do not know the best way to remove the bracket that is glued to the fascia. Any ideas out there?

What type of glue was used? Silicone can be cut with a knife, some like superglue can be dissolved with acetone, others like Epoxee probably need to be cut off. Are you sure there isn't some screws/bolts holding it in place then some silicone caulk used around the edge. I've never seen one glued in place.
I recently bought a condo that had no rain gutters. Turns out the DISH satellite dish was mounted via 'glue' to the fascia board. I want to install gutters but do not know the best way to remove the bracket that is glued to the fascia. Any ideas out there?

That would have to be some extreme glue to hold that in place!

Some of the better paneling adhesives would probably support a DISH.

If that is what has been used, heat should help you get the glue to release. We're talking heat gun heat at least as you're going to have to get the entire foot hot enough that you can't touch it.

If it is on there with silicone-based glue, you should be able to brute force it off with a pry bar. Be careful to protect the facia from whatever you're prying with.

I don't recommend yanking on the mast because most adhesives won't let go if the entire bonded surface remains intact. Prying up the corners or the middle is the only way you're going to get a mechanical advantage over the vacuum-like bond.

If it is indeed just glued which of course I'm skeptical about,I want some!

I don't believe anyone in his right mind would even try to mount a dish with glue to a wooden fascia board. Even if such a glue exist (which I doubt) what would support the entire dish vertically while the glue sets? Whoever installed the dish probably applied a bunch of caulking under the mounting plate to seal the mounting screw holes and the caulking squeezed out around the mounting plate so it looks like it was glued. No wonder the OP never came back and that was his first and only post.

I'd suspect they used some variant of Liquid Nails. The FAQ on their site http://www.liquidnails.com/faqs/index.jsp talks about heating to 140. Looks like you'll need a good quality heat gun. Use it to heat up the entire mounting plate and pry from the edges.

Liquid nails is pretty good stuff but,it's not going to hold a satellite dish to a fascia board,at least not for long.Have used liquid nails to help hold paneling to drywall even then,still had to use paneling nails to help hold.

I'd use bolts myself, with any adhesive you would have to clamp the mount to the fascia for too long a time. Still, if there are no visible mechanical fasteners, I'd use a heat gun and prybar first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)