How do I see Comcast HD channels?

tempdb

Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Hi,
Anybody knows how I can view HD channels with my Comcast conenction?
I have Digital Silver package (Atlanta,area) with HBO package with almost every channel subscribed. I have recent Toshiba HDTV. Comcast has given me just a basic digital cable box. I do not want to purchase a HD cable box from comcast since it has some kind of per month rent.

Is there any way, I can view HD channels on my TV or my computer?
I can see few channels like FOX-HD, ABC-HD, NBC-HD if I connect coaxial wire to my HDTV.
But, I don't see HBO-HD, Discovery-HD, ESPN-HD etc..
How can I watch these 3 channels?

I am ready to purchase TV tuners etc., if it works..

Thanks in advance.
temp

If your TV has a cable card slot you can get one from Comcast to see the encrypted channels. Otherwise, you have to get their box. It costs $5 a month. How bad do you want to see those channels?

I would see those channels frequently, if I am able to view.
Does "cable card" come free?
I checked my Toshiba 42HP66 HDTV manual. It is not Cablecard compatible.
There is ATSC tuner, QAM tuner. Not sure, if I can use it to get HD channels

Since your TV supports QAM tuning, you can just connect the coax cable directly to the TV and then tell the TV to scan for channels. You should be able to get your local channels in HD, and maybe a few others if they are unencrypted. You will not be able to view any encrypted or premium channels this way.

CableCARD is a technology that lets you view encrypted/premium content without a set-top box (STB). Your TV has to support it though, and it sounds like yours doesn't. If you did have a TV with CableCARD slots, you would call Comcast and ask them to give you CableCARDs. They charge about $2/mo per card. You only need one if your TV only has one tuner/slot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts