How do “On Demand” PPV movies ordered on the H3 stream?

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
We ordered “It” in 1080p on Channel 1 through the H3 earlier. It started playing immediately. As far as I can tell, it wasn’t downloading over the internet connection. Does Dish stream these via satellite and store them on the receiver?

We ordered “It” in 1080p on Channel 1 through the H3 earlier. It started playing immediately. As far as I can tell, it wasn’t downloading over the internet connection. Does Dish stream these via satellite and store them on the receiver?
Channel 1 is on the H3 hard drive. The 501 channels are downloaded...

What do you mean on the hard drive? This is what it looks like on my end. I’m trying to figure out what the streaming source is when I hit “buy.” It wasn’t coming down my internet connection..

F17B9ED7-7F33-45E9-8144-1B504B9BA138.jpeg

Dish reserves part of the space on your box for their downloads which include channel 1 VOD movies and local ads which the software will insert in national networks. The downloads happen overnight on an unused tuner.

It already exists on the hard drive before you choose to rent it.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
So all those movies are sitting there hidden on my hard drive right now, just waiting for me to buy them? Those 1080p and 4K events would take up a lot of space, I would think?

Reactions: HipKat
I will answer that, it is downloaded from the satellite not the internet! :)
...and the ones downloaded from the satellite are on the hard drive. Are you saying that they perform differently depending on whether you order from 1 or 501? Your post made it sound like you were drawing a distinction between the two sets of channels.

He was mistaken and sorta clarified his response in post # 9. Channels 1 and 501 are one in the same. They are downloaded from the satellite(s) and are stored on the hard drives. Check a brand new, just installed receiver - nothing will show up under those channels.

I've said it for years and that is, Dish's "on demand" or pay-per-view type stuff is a confusing clusterf***.

He was mistaken and sorta clarified his response in post # 9. Channels 1 and 501 are one in the same. They are downloaded from the satellite(s) and are stored on the hard drives. Check a brand new, just installed receiver - nothing will show up under those channels.

I've said it for years and that is, Dish's "on demand" or pay-per-view type stuff is a confusing clusterf***.
I don't think that he was mistaken, just that n0qcu and myself both misinterpreted his post. Going back and looking at it, what he said was accurate, just not phrased very clearly.

So all those movies are sitting there hidden on my hard drive right now, just waiting for me to buy them? Those 1080p and 4K events would take up a lot of space, I would think?

The HD is 2 TB. It still leaves a ton of space for your stuff.

I believe it was stated elsewhere on here that 1TB is for dish stuff (PTAT, Rentals,etc) and the other 1TB is for dvr recordings.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I believe it was stated elsewhere on here that 1TB is for dish stuff (PTAT, Rentals,etc) and the other 1TB is for dvr recordings.

That would make sense, since the external 1 TB hard drive I had connected seemed to have the same % of available space as the 2 TB internet drive, which puzzled me. Until now.

Reactions: littlecloud319
Hmm... someone recently posted that he took the 1TB hard drive out of a 922 and put it in an original Hopper, and it worked. If it did, it must have only worked for "dish stuff" then.

Hmm... someone recently posted that he took the 1TB hard drive out of a 922 and put it in an original Hopper, and it worked. If it did, it must have only worked for "dish stuff" then.

Or the software is programmed to split the drive 50/50. May only have 500GB available to him. Without having an actual GB number to look at there probably isn’t a way to know. Unless you can figure out the file system dish uses and a way to look from a pc.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)