How do we get OTA guide data?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
Does anyone know the reason I get most OTA guide data but not all? For instance, obviously I get my data for the big 5 (ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX,&CW) I assume because those are the stations that Dish carries with guide data. And lately I receive the sub station data for my local NBC sub channel (RTN Network) and ABC sub channel (ThisTV), but I receive other stations like TBN OTA but can't receive any guide data.

Does anyone know the reason I get most OTA guide data but not all? For instance, obviously I get my data for the big 5 (ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX,&CW) I assume because those are the stations that Dish carries with guide data. And lately I receive the sub station data for my local NBC sub channel (RTN Network) and ABC sub channel (ThisTV), but I receive other stations like TBN OTA but can't receive any guide data.
Are you actually getting OTA guide data, or is it rather local channels that you pay Dish to get. (Are you using an actual antenna in addition to your satellite and somehow getting guide data to show up?)

Dish will map the data from the locals you recieve to the matching OTA. For stations you recieve OTA but not via sat Dish has to uplink the guide data seperate.

This is why you have some but not all listings.

Maybe there is no guide data available for that channel.

I had a strange new thing happen today:
I subscribe to locals from Dish and I have CBS OTA but not through DISH because of a price dispute with the CBS local owner. I normally get generic guide data for both the OTA and the subscribed local that says something like "Channel Not available - contact your local company..." You can guess that I still pick up the live feed with the antenna and get nothing via satellite. But today the guide data started showing up for Wednesday (2 days from now) and beyond. Strange. I don't know what's happening - but I'd love to get the guide info that I haven't ever seen yet, because I can record from OTA much easier that way - even if I don't pick up the channel from Dish.

Anyone else ever have this going on?

That data will go away as the actual date and time approaches and will be replaced with the call such and such info, so your timers will not fire. I would set a manual timer as a back up.

Maybe there is no guide data available for that channel.

I had a strange new thing happen today:
I subscribe to locals from Dish and I have CBS OTA but not through DISH because of a price dispute with the CBS local owner. I normally get generic guide data for both the OTA and the subscribed local that says something like "Channel Not available - contact your local company..." You can guess that I still pick up the live feed with the antenna and get nothing via satellite. But today the guide data started showing up for Wednesday (2 days from now) and beyond. Strange. I don't know what's happening - but I'd love to get the guide info that I haven't ever seen yet, because I can record from OTA much easier that way - even if I don't pick up the channel from Dish.

Anyone else ever have this going on?
Maybe the price dispute has been settled with the CBS station, and maybe you'll get it on Wednesday?? Then again, maybe not....

Are you actually getting OTA guide data, or is it rather local channels that you pay Dish to get. (Are you using an actual antenna in addition to your satellite and somehow getting guide data to show up?)

I am using an actual antenna and I receive the guide data on all the channels from the big 5 that I also receive through Dish. But I also receive data from channels that are not available through Dish. Like the sub channels for my local NBC, ABC, and FOX. But some of the other channels I receive that's also not through Dish, I do not receive, like the local TBN. I have 4 total TBN channels that I receive with my antenna, but none of them show any guide data.

Maybe the price dispute has been settled with the CBS station, and maybe you'll get it on Wednesday?? Then again, maybe not....
I doubt it's been settled, since Charlie spoke about it on the Chat a few days ago. I'm interested to see what happends and I'll update here if anything is worth while. It's sure gonna make it easier to record.

That data will go away as the actual date and time approaches and will be replaced with the call such and such info, so your timers will not fire. I would set a manual timer as a back up.
We'll see - thanks for the potential problem 'heads-up'.