How do you burn DVD Dream created mpg files to DVD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
I tried tmpgenc dvd author but it wouldn't take the mpg files, even if they were the correct horizontal and vertical sizes that tmpgenc requires. What dvd burning software do you guys use to convert the mpgs over to vobs and dvd image files so that they can be burned by burning software (free preferably)?

I've got Nero version 5.5.10.45 and I've never figured out how to convert mpg files in to vob files. I always use it to burn the vob files on to dvd, but that's not what I'm asking here. I'm asking how the heck do you get the mpgs in to vob format?

I have nero 6 plus the latest updates. I just use vision express and create dvd and open the files into the window it asks for. Then click next thru the menus until it says burn then let it encode and eventually burn.

If you are wanting to create regular DVD files, IFO, VOB etc, you will need a program like WinAVI. I use it to convert the DVB Dream mpeg files and it works great. All it does is conversions. (it's not freeware unfortunately) Then, I either burn the files to DVD with Nero Express (came with my burner) or if I want to get fancy and trim the video and create menus, I use TMPEGnc DVD Author to customize it.
I believe there are some freeware apps out that will convert mpeg2 files to DVD format, but, I haven't read of any that worked as consistantly as WinAVI.
grusome

hundreds of DVDs served...

Not sure exactly what format you are starting with.
I start with mpeg2 in 544x480, and DolbyDigital 2.0, for most all my raw material.

Then, I edit out commercials with VideoReDo, and author with DVD Labs.
My recorded DVDs contain the same format as the source.
Proper DVD format is: 720x480
In spite of that, I find they play okay on all DVD players I've tested, made in the last 5 years.

Other source formats I've run into are 640x480 which can't play on most DVD players, and 704x480 which is close to DVD format, and works fine.

Over on the VideoReDo forum, there have been many discussions of:
1) using the Nero Suite (it always wants to re-encode, taking long time)
2) TMPEGnc authoring program.
3) DVD Labs. (many $; it won't re-encode)
4) some freeware authoring packages.
5) and more...

I just use the Nero Burning Rom portion of Nero 6.6-something (though 5.something worked, too) to burn the final files onto DVD blanks.

Then, I print them in an Epson R-200 printer, for that final bit of bling.

I also own WinAVI, and have used it to convert non-standard formats to the proper 720x480 NTSC format.
However, I still author with DVD Labs.
Reason is, I have more control of chapters, menu, et al.
With a proper authoring program, you can also do multiple episodes of a show, or a double-feature movie.

WinAVI is around $30; VideoReDo is about $50; DVD Labs has two versions at $130 and $250.
...and as I said, on the VRD forum, there is plenty of discussion on free authoring programs.

Last edited:
The nero trial that I downloaded is no good. It asks for a serial number before it will install, even thought I downloaded it from two different websites and both said that it was a trial version. The winavi trial downloaded and installed ok. I am testing it on some recordings now. It looks like it may do the trick. I'm still somewhat puzzled why the heck tmpgenc dvd author didn't do the job, but winavi looks like it's actually better for this sort of stuff than tmpg so I guess I'll go that route. Yes, I'll use nero once I get it in to vob and ifo format to do the actual burning. It's just getting the mpg files to that format that wasn't working. Strangely, tmpg works fine with mpgs created with ati all-in-wonder's propriety software, ati mmc, but didn't recognize the mpgs created by dvb dream as being the right pixel aspect ratio size for whatever reason, even after I tried a number of different codecs, making sure pixel aspect size was exactly what tmpg wanted. Oh well, Winavi seems to be better software for this sort of stuff than tmpenc anyways. Thanks.

You can get a limited capability eval version of VideoReDo from their web site.
Do not get one "off the net", as there are some around with "bugs".
Then, you request their trial key (takes 15 seconds, and they will -not- spam you)
The key lets the program run full-feature for a couple of weeks.

Load your video into the editor and remove commercials.
Then, press Ctrl-L, and paste back here, what it gives you.
That'll be the video specs for your mpeg file.
If it's not the proper format, Tmpng won't author it, but WinAVI will still convert it to DVD format.
As I said above, I author in what's called 3/4 D1 video mode all the time, and make fine DVDs.

The nero trial that I downloaded is no good. It asks for a serial number before it will install, even thought I downloaded it from two different websites and both said that it was a trial version. The winavi trial downloaded and installed ok. I am testing it on some recordings now. It looks like it may do the trick. I'm still somewhat puzzled why the heck tmpgenc dvd author didn't do the job, but winavi looks like it's actually better for this sort of stuff than tmpg so I guess I'll go that route. Yes, I'll use nero once I get it in to vob and ifo format to do the actual burning. It's just getting the mpg files to that format that wasn't working. Strangely, tmpg works fine with mpgs created with ati all-in-wonder's propriety software, ati mmc, but didn't recognize the mpgs created by dvb dream as being the right pixel aspect ratio size for whatever reason, even after I tried a number of different codecs, making sure pixel aspect size was exactly what tmpg wanted. Oh well, Winavi seems to be better software for this sort of stuff than tmpenc anyways. Thanks.

If you get to a point where you have only vob's , there is a program called infoedit that will create the ifo , bup and other files needed for a DVD that plays on a stand alone player .

Wyr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)