How do you feel about the upgrade path??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

How do you feel about the MPEG-4 transition??

• I feel taken advantage of by dish.

Votes: 46 63.9%
  • I feel that although painful, it is a fair deal.

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • I feel that I am getting a great deal!

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Total voters

jsanders

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
I've heard a lot of complaints about the upgrade to MPEG-4. I've also noticed that a lot of people can't wait to get their hands on the new 622.

So, I'm making a couple of polls to better guage how it is received.

The new MPEG4 equipment is expensive. I had originally hoped that Dish would find some creative way to write off these upgrades will little or no cost to us, but it's starting to look like their pockets aren't that deep and they need us to contribute upfront to the cost through the trade of purchased equipment for leased equipment, an equipment upgrade fee, increased monthly programming prices and an 18-month commitment. I wonder how many months it will take on average for Dish to recover the cost of an MPEG4 receiver upgrade for a typical customer.

I don't mind paying $49 for a dish at 61.5 and a new 211. Just to get another dish at 61.5 would have cost me $199 just last month. Glad I waited.

Dish is taking advantage of me because I can't control myself, have to have the "new stuff", could keep what I currently have but choose not to and have complete freedom to change providers. :eek:

It's my way of sticking it to the man

But you are the man.

Yes.

So you're sticking it to yourself?

Yes, but remember, I'm not happy about it. :devil:

NightRyder

Last edited:
This must be up there as the worst planned and executed implementation product roll out of any kind.

Scott stated the obvious, common sense plan- 2/1 anyone can upgrade to the new HD plans and VIEW the new offerings on current boxes as DISH rolls out the new mpg4s over the next several months. They should have restricted new HD subs to the new boxes as they go about having current subs swap up with a reasonable "processing" fee.

Shame on all the Voom DBS naysayers who were relentless on Voom's delivery and product. As an original Dtv and now Dish customer, Voom had it all over these guys.

What about those that feel they are getting a good deal on the upgrade path? $49 is a good deal to put up a new dish, especially if they have to replace switches and stuff.

Anybody else?

Has anybody out there managed to get some sort of good deal out of dish? Anyone got any concessions from them? Some responded that they are happy. Just curious as to why....

socalpanman said:
Shame on all the Voom DBS naysayers who were relentless on Voom's delivery and product. As an original Dtv and now Dish customer, Voom had it all over these guys.

Voom would have had those 622's in the mail to existing 942 owners free of charge with a return box for the 942.

NightRyder said:
Dish is taking advantage of me because I can't control myself, have to have the "new stuff", could keep what I currently have but choose not to and have complete freedom to change providers. :eek:

It's my way of sticking it to the man

But you are the man.

Yes.

So you're sticking it to yourself?

Yes, but remember, I'm not happy about it. :devil:

NightRyder

rotfl.gif
rotfl.gif
goodjob.gif

I was just thinking about starting a poll, but limiting it to only owners of 921's and 942's, because I think their upgrade path is different than those with 6000's and 811's. An 811 owner can upgrade immediately for a very low price. While a 9xx owner must wait 2-3 months and pay a higher price.

Tom Bombadil said:
I was just thinking about starting a poll, but limiting it to only owners of 921's and 942's, because I think their upgrade path is different than those with 6000's and 811's. An 811 owner can upgrade immediately for a very low price. While a 9xx owner must wait 2-3 months and pay a higher price.

good idea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts