How do you get closed caption out to a TV ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lassar

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Illinois
Do you need a special graphics card to get closed caption out.

What software do you need for this.

Lassar said:
Do you need a special graphics card to get closed caption out.

What software do you need for this.

No special graphics card is used as the viewing software overlays the captioning on the video. I use TSReader and VLC. Works with all sources - DVB, QAM and ATSC. In the VLC program select Video / Subtitles Track and select the desired caption.

EIA-608 and EIA-708 CC data can be decoded and over layed on the outputted video image. EIA-608 can often be passed through a device for decoding by an external device. EIA-708 data is not decoded and passed through as EIA-608 data capable of decoding and display by an external device. Unless the graphics card outputs composite video and the PCI DBVS card supports EIA-608 CC pass through, I do see the option of an external device decoding or manipulating the CC data.

I see that TV Guardian has a new HDMI product. This presents an interesting question for TV Guardian. To the best of my knowledge, HDMI does not carry CC information. Yet, their high definition product indicates support for HDMI closed captioning. What is the HDMI protocol or a list of HDMI devices that their unit is compatible with?

Let us know what you find out!

Couldnt the Close Captions be overlayed on the image via HDMI? I have never seen it on any of the FTA receivers I have played with but my 9242 Bell TV HD PVR receiver does indeed overlays the english CC via HDMI (despite my TV does not have CC on the hdmi input menu). I mean English only because for instance ABC Buffalo has some Spanish CC on some prime time shows that it fails to display but my samsung tv displays them fine if use its internal ATSC tuner rather than the bell tv receiver.

I would imagine TVG mean that they are able to read the close captions off the hdmi overlayed image and therefore process them. BTW Satellite AV, is there any receiver that displays this EIA CC (or DVB captions as some calls them right?) even on A/V composite on north america? I have never seen them work but I think Arirang TV at 58W and the new digital PBS X signals has them ? Are those the only ones in the NA arc?.

Couldnt the Close Captions be overlayed on the image via HDMI?
Correct, The PC running VLC can overlay the CC (either 608 or 708) on any output video (OSD). This means the text is rendered and flattened as part of the video.

I would imagine TVG mean that they are able to read the close captions off the hdmi overlayed image and therefore process them.
TVG requires the CC data, so if the data is already rendered and displayed as a flattened image, TVG would not be able to extract CC data from this flattened image information. The CC data would need to be in an independent digital stream and not rendered.

BTW Satellite AV, is there any receiver that displays this EIA CC (or DVB captions as some calls them right?) even on A/V composite on north america? I have never seen them work but I think Arirang TV at 58W and the new digital PBS X signals has them ? Are those the only ones in the NA arc?.
EIA-608 is encoded in line 21 of the video information. EIA-708 are independent data streams and are decoded and overlayed by the receiver directly on the video. Our next generation SD/HD receiver supports both EIA-608 and EIA-708, but I am not aware of any DVBS /S2 receivers that are currently on the market in North America that supports EIA-708 OSD display.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts